Mitchell D Feldman
Affiliation: University of California
- A mentor development program for clinical translational science faculty leads to sustained, improved confidence in mentoring skillsMitchell D Feldman
Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
Clin Transl Sci 5:362-7. 2012..We also describe a number of new initiatives to support mentoring at UCSF that have evolved from the MDP. To our knowledge, this is the first evaluation of the long-term impact of a mentor training program for CT researchers...
- Role of behavioral medicine in primary careMitchell D Feldman
Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan
Curr Opin Psychiatry 25:121-7. 2012..Behavioral medicine is a vast field with an ever-increasing knowledge base. We review important findings over the last 18 months...
- Do patient requests for antidepressants enhance or hinder physicians' evaluation of depression? A randomized controlled trialMitchell D Feldman
Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Med Care 44:1107-13. 2006....
- Economic grand rounds: incentives for primary care providers to participate in a collaborative care program for depressionMitchell D Feldman
Department of Medicine and Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0320, USA
Psychiatr Serv 56:1344-6. 2005
- Who is responsible for evaluating the safety and effectiveness of medical devices? The role of independent technology assessmentMitchell D Feldman
Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0320, USA
J Gen Intern Med 23:57-63. 2008..Although thousands of drugs obtain approval only after review in randomized controlled trials, relatively few new medical devices are subject to comparable scrutiny...
- "On the other hand ...": the evidence does not support the use of hand-carried ultrasound by hospitalistsMitchell D Feldman
Department of Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143 0320, USA
J Hosp Med 5:168-71. 2010..Novelty, availability, and the results of a few small studies lacking patient-centered outcomes remain insufficient grounds to justify the expanded clinical utilization of these medical imaging devices by nonspecialists...
- Training the next generation of research mentors: the University of California, San Francisco, Clinical & Translational Science Institute Mentor Development ProgramMitchell D Feldman
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Clin Transl Sci 2:216-21. 2009..MITs reported increased confidence in overall and specific mentoring skills after completion of the MDP. The MDP can serve as a model for other institutions to develop the next generation of clinical-translational research mentors...
- Suffering in silence: reasons for not disclosing depression in primary careRobert A Bell
Departments of Communication and Public Health Sciences, University of California, Davis, Davis, California 95616, USA
Ann Fam Med 9:439-46. 2011..Depression symptoms are underreported by patients. We thus assessed individuals' reasons for not disclosing depression to their primary care physician...
- Influence of patients' requests for direct-to-consumer advertised antidepressants: a randomized controlled trialRichard L Kravitz
Center for Health Services Research in Primary Care, University of California, Davis, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
JAMA 293:1995-2002. 2005..Critics charge that it leads to overprescribing, while proponents counter that it helps avert underuse of effective treatments, especially for conditions that are poorly recognized or stigmatized...
- Vicarious experience affects patients' treatment preferences for depressionSeth A Berkowitz
Division of General Internal Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e31269. 2012..We sought to evaluate the association between a patient's vicarious experiences with depression (those of friends or family) and treatment preferences for depressive symptoms...
- An innovative program to train health sciences researchers to be effective clinical and translational research mentorsMallory O Johnson
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143 0320, USA
Acad Med 85:484-9. 2010..Specific details of the objectives and content of the MDP sessions are provided as well as evaluation criteria and a link to specific curriculum materials...
- Depressive symptoms, health behaviors, and risk of cardiovascular events in patients with coronary heart diseaseMary A Whooley
VA Medical Center, San Francisco, California, USA
JAMA 300:2379-88. 2008..Depressive symptoms predict adverse cardiovascular outcomes in patients with coronary heart disease, but the mechanisms responsible for this association are unknown...
- Let's not talk about it: suicide inquiry in primary careMitchell D Feldman
Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, Calif, USA
Ann Fam Med 5:412-8. 2007..The purpose of this study was to ascertain physician characteristics associated with exploring suicidality in patients with depressive symptoms and the influence of patient antidepressant requests...
- Introduction: new medical device technologiesJeffrey A Tice
Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Gen Intern Med 23:1. 2008
- Realigning economic incentives for depression care at UCSFMitchell D Feldman
University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 0320, USA
Adm Policy Ment Health 33:34-8. 2006..Sustainability of this model will require participation of multiple primary care practices, health insurers, and MBHOs...
- Donepezil-associated bradyarrhythmia in a patient with dementia with Lewy bodies (DLB)Michael H Rosenbloom
Department of Neurology, University of California, San Francisco Memory and Aging Center, San Francisco, CA, USA
Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord 24:209-11. 2010..Owing to underlying autonomic dysfunction, patients with DLB may be at increased risk of bradyarrhythmia resulting from treatment with acetylcholinesterase inhibitors...
- Hope modified the association between distress and incidence of self-perceived medical errors among practicing physicians: prospective cohort studyYasuaki Hayashino
Department of Epidemiology and Healthcare Research, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine and Public Health, Kyoto, Japan
PLoS ONE 7:e35585. 2012..Self-perceived medical errors showed a strong association with physicians' hope, and hope modified the association between physicians' burnout and self-perceived medical errors...
- Gastric banding or bypass? A systematic review comparing the two most popular bariatric proceduresJeffrey A Tice
Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 1732, USA
Am J Med 121:885-93. 2008..This study evaluated the balance of patient-oriented clinical outcomes for laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding and Roux-en-Y gastric bypass...
- Editorial peer reviewers' recommendations at a general medical journal: are they reliable and do editors care?Richard L Kravitz
Department of Medicine, University of California Davis, Sacramento, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e10072. 2010..We examined the relationship between external reviewers' recommendations and the editorial outcome of manuscripts undergoing external peer-review at the Journal of General Internal Medicine (JGIM)...
- Barriers to psychotherapy among depressed and nondepressed primary care patientsDavid C Mohr
University of California, Veterans Administration Medical Center, San Francisco, California, USA
Ann Behav Med 32:254-8. 2006..However, when referrals for psychotherapy are made, only 20% ever follow up, and of these, half drop out of treatment. This suggests that there are substantial barriers to accessing psychotherapy...
- Defining the ideal qualities of mentorship: a qualitative analysis of the characteristics of outstanding mentorsChristine S Cho
Department of Pediatrics, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Am J Med 124:453-8. 2011..The study's objective was to identify the important qualities of outstanding mentors as described by their mentees' letters of nomination for a prestigious lifetime achievement award in mentorship...
- Teaching the psychosocial aspects of care in the clinical setting: practical recommendationsDavid E Kern
Division of General Internal Medicine, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center B 235, 4940 Eastern Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21224 2780, USA
Acad Med 80:8-20. 2005..For these problems, where high-level evidence exists, specific psychosocial questions for screening and case finding are provided...
- Types of information physicians provide when prescribing antidepressantsHenry N Young
Social and Administrative Sciences Division, School of Pharmacy, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, USA
J Gen Intern Med 21:1172-7. 2006..Providing antidepressant information to patients may foster greater adherence to therapy...
- Physicians' shared decision-making behaviors in depression careHenry N Young
Social and Administrative Sciences Division, School of Pharmacy, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, USA
Arch Intern Med 168:1404-8. 2008..This study assesses the extent to which physicians enact SDM behaviors and describes factors associated with physicians' SDM behaviors within the context of depression care...