Affiliation: University of California
- The spike-timing dependence of plasticityDaniel E Feldman
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, and Helen Wills Neuroscience Institute, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720 3200, USA
Neuron 75:556-71. 2012..This review summarizes this broader view of plasticity, including the forms and cellular mechanisms for the spike-timing dependence of plasticity, and, the evidence that spike timing is an important determinant of plasticity in vivo...
- Synaptic mechanisms for plasticity in neocortexDaniel E Feldman
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, and Helen Wills Neuroscience Institute, University of California, Berkeley, USA
Annu Rev Neurosci 32:33-55. 2009..This review summarizes these findings and proposes that these mechanisms map onto specific functional components of plasticity, which occur in common across the primary somatosensory, visual, and auditory cortices...
- Synapse-specific expression of functional presynaptic NMDA receptors in rat somatosensory cortexDaniel J Brasier
Neurosciences Program, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093 0357, USA
J Neurosci 28:2199-211. 2008..Thus, presynaptic NMDARs selectively modulate L4-L2/3 synapses, relative to other synapses made by the same neurons. Existence of these receptors may support specialized processing or plasticity by L4-L2/3 synapses...
- Map plasticity in somatosensory cortexDaniel E Feldman
Division of Biological Sciences, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, Room 0357, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Science 310:810-5. 2005..This view contrasts with the classical model in which the map plasticity reflects a single Hebbian process acting at a small set of cortical synapses...
- Intrinsic signal imaging of deprivation-induced contraction of whisker representations in rat somatosensory cortexPatrick J Drew
Section of Neurobiology, Division of Biological Science, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0357, USA
Cereb Cortex 19:331-48. 2009..The observed isotropic contraction of deprived whisker representations during D-row deprivation is consistent with plasticity at intracolumnar, rather than cross-columnar, synapses...
- Synaptic basis for developmental plasticity in somatosensory cortexElisabeth Foeller
Division of Biological Sciences, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Curr Opin Neurobiol 14:89-95. 2004....
- Two coincidence detectors for spike timing-dependent plasticity in somatosensory cortexVanessa A Bender
Neurosciences Program, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093-0357, USA
J Neurosci 26:4166-77. 2006..These findings indicate that STDP is not a unitary process and suggest that endocannabinoid-dependent LTD may be relevant to cortical map plasticity...
- A dynamic spatial gradient of Hebbian learning in dendritesVanessa A Bender
Neurobiology Section, Division of Biological Sciences, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
Neuron 51:153-5. 2006..This gradient can be overcome by cooperative distal synaptic input, leading to fundamentally distinct Hebbian learning rules for distal versus proximal synapses...
- Endocannabinoid signaling is required for development and critical period plasticity of the whisker map in somatosensory cortexLu Li
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology and Helen Wills Neuroscience Institute, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Neuron 64:537-49. 2009..These findings implicate CB1-dependent plasticity in systems-level development and early postnatal plasticity of the whisker map...
- Development of columnar topography in the excitatory layer 4 to layer 2/3 projection in rat barrel cortexKevin J Bender
Division of Biological Sciences, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093-0357, USA
J Neurosci 23:8759-70. 2003..Thus, development of this projection does not require normal sensory experience after P8, and deprivation-induced reorganization of whisker maps at this age is unlikely to involve physical remodeling of L4 to L2/3 axons...
- Synaptic basis for map plasticity in cerebral cortexDaniel Feldman; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition, these manipulations may improve recovery of function after stroke or peripheral or brain/spinal cord injury. ..
- Synaptic basis for map plasticity in cerebral cortexDaniel E Feldman; Fiscal Year: 2010..Involvement of cannabinoid signaling pathways in cortical development may also have major implications for cannabinoid abuse in children and during fetal development. ..
- Neural Mechanisms of Tactile Sensation in Rodent Somatosensory CortexDaniel E Feldman; Fiscal Year: 2010..Such baseline knowledge about normal cerebral cortex function is critically needed to understand cortical processing defects in autism, mental retardation, and other neurological diseases. ..