John J Farrell
Affiliation: University of Illinois at Chicago
- Ureaplasma parvum prosthetic joint infection detected by PCRJohn J Farrell
University of Illinois School of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Peoria, Illinois, USA
J Clin Microbiol 52:2248-50. 2014..PCR/ESI-MS detected U. parvum in all samples. U. parvum-specific PCR testing was performed on all synovial fluid samples to confirm the U. parvum detection. ..
- "Salvage microbiology": detection of bacteria directly from clinical specimens following initiation of antimicrobial treatmentJohn J Farrell
University of Illinois School of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Peoria, Illinois, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e66349. 2013..1] We describe the application of PCR/ESI-MS for detection of bacteria in original patient specimens that were obtained after administration of antibiotic treatment in an open investigation analysis...
- Identification of Streptococcus intermedius central nervous system infection by use of PCR and electrospray ionization mass spectrometryNisha S Bhatia
Illinois Neurological Institute, Peoria, Illinois, USA
J Clin Microbiol 50:4160-2. 2012..This unique case confirms S. intermedius pulmonary infection as the source of metastatic CNS infection and reveals the potential of PCR/ESI-MS to detect a streptococcal pathogen not captured by conventional cultures...
- PCR and electrospray ionization mass spectrometry for detection of persistent enterococcus faecalis in cerebrospinal fluid following treatment of postoperative ventriculitisJohn J Farrell
University of Illinois School of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Peoria, Ilinois, USA
J Clin Microbiol 51:3464-6. 2013....
- Direct detection of indirect transmission of Streptobacillus moniliformis rat bite fever infectionJoseph R Mackey
Department of Pediatrics, St Francis Medical Center, Peoria, Illinois, USA
J Clin Microbiol 52:2259-61. 2014....
- Culture negative empyema in a critically ill child: an opportunity for rapid molecular diagnosticsElsa L Vazquez Melendez
Departments of Medicine and Pediatrics, University of Illinois School of Medicine, 530 N E Glen Oak Ave, Peoria, IL 61603 USA
BMC Anesthesiol 14:107. 2014..This is the first report of PCR coupled to electrospray ionization mass spectrometry use in the evaluation of complicated community acquired pneumonia in a pediatric patient...
- Rapid identification of Aspergillus terreus from bronchoalveolar lavage fluid by PCR and electrospray ionization with mass spectrometryDhruvangkumar A Modi
Department of Medicine, St Francis Medical Center, Peoria, Illinois, USA
J Clin Microbiol 50:2529-30. 2012..Ultimately, Aspergillus terreus, an amphotericin-resistant mold, was cultured from bilateral brain abscesses. PCR/ESI-MS correctly identified the mold...