M G Ewend
Affiliation: University of North Carolina
- A compact VEGF signature associated with distant metastases and poor outcomesZhiyuan Hu
Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
BMC Med 7:9. 2009..Tumor metastases pose the greatest threat to a patient's survival, and thus, understanding the biology of disseminated cancer cells is critical for developing effective therapies...
- The molecular portraits of breast tumors are conserved across microarray platformsZhiyuan Hu
Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
BMC Genomics 7:96. 2006..To overcome this problem we used publicly available breast cancer gene expression data sets and a novel approach to data fusion, in order to validate a new breast tumor intrinsic list...
- Guidelines for the initial management of metastatic brain tumors: role of surgery, radiosurgery, and radiation therapyMatthew G Ewend
Division of Neurosurgery, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
J Natl Compr Canc Netw 6:505-13; quiz 514. 2008....
- Treatment of single brain metastasis with resection, intracavity carmustine polymer wafers, and radiation therapy is safe and provides excellent local controlMatthew G Ewend
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
Clin Cancer Res 13:3637-41. 2007..To define the safety and efficacy of carmustine polymer wafers when added to a regimen of surgery and external beam radiotherapy for treatment of a single brain metastasis...
- Brain metastasesM G Ewend
Division of Neurosurgery, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 148 Burnett Womack Building, Campus Box 7060, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7060, USA
Curr Treat Options Oncol 2:537-47. 2001..Also, we must recognize differences in each tumor's sensitivity to chemotherapy and radiotherapy and differences in their biology...
- Current treatment paradigms for the management of patients with brain metastasesMatthew G Ewend
Division of Neurological Surgery, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7060, USA
Neurosurgery 57:S66-77; discusssion S1-4. 2005..With advances in systemic therapy for cancer, the treatment of brain metastases is becoming an increasingly important determinant of the length of survival and quality of life for cancer patients...
- Vessel tortuosity and brain tumor malignancy: a blinded studyElizabeth Bullitt
Department of Surgery, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, CASILab, 349 Wing C, CB 7062, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Acad Radiol 12:1232-40. 2005..This report evaluates a computerized, statistical method of analyzing the shapes of vessels extracted from MRA in diagnosing cancer...
- Concurrent temozolomide and radiation, a reasonable option for elderly patients with glioblastoma multiforme?Randall J Kimple
Departments of Radiation Oncology, Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Am J Clin Oncol 33:265-70. 2010..We began this study to describe our results and toxicities in the over 70 population treated with concurrent temozolomide and radiation for GBM, and to describe our outcomes treating elderly patients with GBM regardless of therapy...
- Clinical applications of proton MR spectroscopy in oncologyLester Kwock
Department of Radiology, Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of North Carolina, School of Medicine, Chapel Hill NC 27599 7515, USA
Technol Cancer Res Treat 1:17-28. 2002....
- Blood vessel morphologic changes depicted with MR angiography during treatment of brain metastases: a feasibility studyElizabeth Bullitt
Computer Assisted Surgery and Imaging Laboratory, University of North Carolina, 247 Wing E, CB 7062, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Radiology 245:824-30. 2007....
- Abnormal vessel tortuosity as a marker of treatment response of malignant gliomas: preliminary reportElizabeth Bullitt
Department of Surgery, University of North Carolina, 349 Wing C, CB 7062, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Technol Cancer Res Treat 3:577-84. 2004..The abnormalities resolve during effective treatment and recur with tumor recurrence. We conclude that vessel shape analysis could provide an important means of assessing tumor activity...
- Tumor therapeutic response and vessel tortuosity: preliminary report in metastatic breast cancerElizabeth Bullitt
CASILab, CB 7062, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv 9:561-8. 2006..In this preliminary study of 16 patients undergoing treatment for metastatic breast cancer we conclude that vessel shape may predict tumor response several months in advance of traditional methods...
- Clinical role of proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy in oncology: brain, breast, and prostate cancerLester Kwock
Department of Radiology, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Lancet Oncol 7:859-68. 2006....
- Central nervous system metastases in women after multimodality therapy for high risk breast cancerLisa A Carey
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, University of North Carolina, 3009 Old Clinic Building, Chapel Hill, NC, 27599 7305, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 88:273-80. 2004..This increase may reflect altered failure patterns from adjuvant therapy, more effective systemic therapy with improved control in non-CNS sites, or a resistant breast cancer subtype...
- The prognostic contribution of clinical breast cancer subtype, age, and race among patients with breast cancer brain metastasesCarey K Anders
Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7305, USA
Cancer 117:1602-11. 2011..In a single-institution cohort study, the authors attempted to determine whether the inferior outcome noted with TNBC brain metastases is more reflective of a higher risk population or the subtype itself...
- Potentiation of chemotherapeutic agents following antagonism of nuclear factor kappa B in human gliomasKyle D Weaver
Division of Neurosurgery, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7060, USA
J Neurooncol 61:187-96. 2003..Insertion of a mutant inhibitor of NF-kappaB strips cells of this antiapoptotic defense and renders them more susceptible to killing by chemotherapy via increased apoptosis...
- Correlation of MR perfusion imaging and vessel tortuosity parameters in assessment of intracranial neoplasmsAnup H Parikh
School of Medicine, University of North Carolina, School of Medicine, 3327 Old Infirmary CB 7510, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7510, USA
Technol Cancer Res Treat 3:585-90. 2004..However, for subgroups of a particular tumor type such as GBM, there may be significant correlations. It appears that perfusion and tortuosity data may provide independently useful data in the assessment of cerebral neoplasms...
- Molecular portraits and 70-gene prognosis signature are preserved throughout the metastatic process of breast cancerBritta Weigelt
Divisions of Experimental Therapy and Diagnostic Oncology, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, The Netherlands
Cancer Res 65:9155-8. 2005..Furthermore, our data imply that poor prognosis breast carcinomas classified either by the intrinsic gene set or the 70 prognosis genes represent distinct disease entities that seem sustained throughout the metastatic process...