Genomes and Genes
Sylvia M Evans
Affiliation: University of California
- Beta-catenin directly regulates Islet1 expression in cardiovascular progenitors and is required for multiple aspects of cardiogenesisLizhu Lin
Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of California at San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:9313-8. 2007..Our findings demonstrate that beta-catenin signaling regulates proliferation and survival of cardiac progenitors...
- LIM homeodomain transcription factor Isl1 directs normal pyloric development by targeting Gata3Yushan Li
State Key Laboratory of Agrobiotechnology, College of Biological Sciences, China Agricultural University, Beijing, People s Republic of China
BMC Biol 12:25. 2014..Therefore, understanding pyloric development is of great clinical relevance. Here, we investigated the role of the LIM homeodomain transcription factor Isl1 in pyloric development...
- Requirement for integrin-linked kinase in neural crest migration and differentiation and outflow tract morphogenesisXiuqin Dai
Key Laboratory of Arrhythmia, Ministry of Education, East Hospital, Tongji University School of Medicine, 150 Jimo Road, Shanghai 200120, China
BMC Biol 11:107. 2013..Integrin-linked-kinase (ILK) plays important roles in multiple cellular processes and embryogenesis. ILK is expressed in the neural crest, but its role in neural crest and outflow tract morphogenesis remains unknown...
- Foxa2 mediates critical functions of prechordal plate in patterning and morphogenesis and is cell autonomously required for early ventral endoderm morphogenesisZachary Harrelson
Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of California San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive MC0613C, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Biol Open 1:173-81. 2012..Loss of Foxa2 in ventral endoderm resulted in reduced expression of Sox17, Gata4, and ZO proteins, accounting at least in part for observed lack of foregut fusion, cardia bifida, and increased apoptosis of ventral endoderm...
- MicroRNAs in a cardiac loop: progenitor or myocyte?Sylvia M Evans
Department of Medicine, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, 92093, USA
Dev Cell 19:787-8. 2010..In this issue, Wang et al. (2010) identify a critical microRNA pathway under the control of Bmp signaling that promotes outflow tract myocardial differentiation from cardiac progenitors in vivo...
- Myocardial lineage developmentSylvia M Evans
Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Department of Medicine, University of California San Diego, 9500 Gilman Dr, La Jolla CA 92093, USA
Circ Res 107:1428-44. 2010....
- Progenitor cells for cardiac repairSylvia M Evans
Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences and Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, CA 92014, USA
Semin Cell Dev Biol 18:153-60. 2007..In this review, we discuss several issues to be considered in cell-based cardiac repair, some progress which has been made toward this goal, and future directions...
- A myocardial lineage derives from Tbx18 epicardial cellsChen Leng Cai
Skaggs School of Pharmacy, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
Nature 454:104-8. 2008..The pluripotency of Tbx18 proepicardial cells provides a theoretical framework for applying these progenitors to effect cardiac repair and regeneration...
- HCN4 dynamically marks the first heart field and conduction system precursorsXingqun Liang
Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, CA 92093, USA
Circ Res 113:399-407. 2013..Understanding origins and identifying markers of CCS lineages are essential steps toward modeling diseases of the CCS and for development of biological pacemakers...
- Modulation of morphogenesis by noncanonical Wnt signaling requires ATF/CREB family-mediated transcriptional activation of TGFbeta2Wenlai Zhou
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
Nat Genet 39:1225-34. 2007..Thus, we propose that transcriptional readout mediated at least in part by a Wnt11 --> ATF/CREB --> TGFbeta2 pathway is critical in regulating morphogenesis in response to noncanonical Wnt signaling...
- Thymosin beta 4 is dispensable for murine cardiac development and functionIndroneal Banerjee
Department of Medicine, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, 92093, USA
Circ Res 110:456-64. 2012..To completely ablate Tβ4 and to rule out the possibility of off-target effects associated with shRNA gene silencing, further studies of global or cardiac-specific knockouts are critical...
- Coordination of heart and lung co-development by a multipotent cardiopulmonary progenitorTien Peng
Department of Medicine, Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Nature 500:589-92. 2013..Together, these studies identify a novel population of multipotent cardiopulmonary progenitors that coordinates heart and lung co-development that is required for adaptation to terrestrial existence. ..
- Tbx20 regulates a genetic program essential to adult mouse cardiomyocyte functionTao Shen
Skaggs School of Pharmacy, UCSD, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
J Clin Invest 121:4640-54. 2011..Our data provide insight into the mechanisms by which mutations in TBX20 cause adult heart disease in humans...
- Selective deletion of long but not short Cypher isoforms leads to late-onset dilated cardiomyopathyHongqiang Cheng
Department of Medicine, University of California San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Hum Mol Genet 20:1751-62. 2011....
- A central role for Islet1 in sensory neuron development linking sensory and spinal gene regulatory programsYunfu Sun
Department of Medicine, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California 93093, USA
Nat Neurosci 11:1283-93. 2008..Together these results establish a central role for Islet1 in the transition from sensory neurogenesis to subtype specification...
- Targeted ablation of PINCH1 and PINCH2 from murine myocardium results in dilated cardiomyopathy and early postnatal lethalityXingqun Liang
Department of Medicine, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0613, USA
Circulation 120:568-76. 2009..A potential role for PINCH proteins in myocardium remains unknown...
- Islet 1 is expressed in distinct cardiovascular lineages, including pacemaker and coronary vascular cellsYunfu Sun
Skaggs School of Pharmacy, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Dev Biol 304:286-96. 2007..Our studies suggest a role for Isl1 in these distinct domains of expression within the heart...
- Thymosin β4 is not required for embryonic viability or vascular developmentIndroneal Banerjee
Department of Medicine, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Circ Res 112:e25-8. 2013..These data are in direct contrast to our published global and cardiac-specific Tβ4-knockout lines. Thus, the role of Tβ4 needs to be clarified to understand its importance in cardiovascular development...
- Scl represses cardiomyogenesis in prospective hemogenic endothelium and endocardiumBen Van Handel
Department of Molecular, Cell, and Developmental Biology, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Cell 150:590-605. 2012..These results reveal unexpected plasticity in embryonic endothelium such that loss of a single master regulator can induce ectopic cardiomyogenesis from endothelial cells...
- Loss of enigma homolog protein results in dilated cardiomyopathyHongqiang Cheng
Department of Medicine, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, 92093, USA
Circ Res 107:348-56. 2010..Among the Enigma subfamily, Cypher has been demonstrated to play a pivotal role in the structure and function of striated muscle, whereas the role of Enigma homolog protein (ENH) in muscle remains largely unknown...
- Coxsackievirus and adenovirus receptor (CAR) mediates atrioventricular-node function and connexin 45 localization in the murine heartByung Kwan Lim
Department of Medicine, University of California San Diego, Division of Cardiology, La Jolla, California 92093 0613, USA
J Clin Invest 118:2758-70. 2008..Furthermore, localization of connexin 45 at the AV-node cell-cell junction and of beta-catenin and ZO-1 at the ventricular intercalated disc are dependent on CAR...
- Targeted ablation of nesprin 1 and nesprin 2 from murine myocardium results in cardiomyopathy, altered nuclear morphology and inhibition of the biomechanical gene responseIndroneal Banerjee
Department of Medicine, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California, United States of America
PLoS Genet 10:e1004114. 2014....
- HIF1α Represses Cell Stress Pathways to Allow Proliferation of Hypoxic Fetal CardiomyocytesNuno Guimarães-Camboa
Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA Institute for Biomedical Sciences Abel Salazar and GABBA Graduate Program, University of Porto, Porto 4050 313, Portugal
Dev Cell 33:507-21. 2015..Our results highlight previously undescribed roles of HIF1α and interactions among major cell stress pathways that could be targeted to enhance proliferation of CMs in ischemia and may have relevance to other diseases, including cancer...
- T-Box transcription factor Tbx20 regulates a genetic program for cranial motor neuron cell body migrationMi Ryoung Song
Gene Expression Laboratory, The Salk Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Development 133:4945-55. 2006..Our study suggests that Tbx20 programs a variety of hindbrain motor neurons for migration, independent of directionality, and in facial neurons is a positive regulator of the non-canonical Wnt signaling pathway...
- Islet1-mediated activation of the β-catenin pathway is necessary for hindlimb initiation in miceYasuhiko Kawakami
Gene Expression Laboratory, The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, 10010 N Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Development 138:4465-73. 2011..Our study identifies Islet1 as a hindlimb-specific transcriptional regulator of initiation, and clarifies the controversy regarding the requirement of β-catenin for limb initiation...
- Nkx2-5 pathways and congenital heart disease; loss of ventricular myocyte lineage specification leads to progressive cardiomyopathy and complete heart blockMohammad Pashmforoush
UCSD Institute of Molecular Medicine, University of California San Diego School of Medicine, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Cell 117:373-86. 2004..Accordingly, loss of ventricular muscle cell lineage specification into trabecular and conduction system myocytes is a new mechanistic pathway for progressive cardiomyopathy and conduction defects in congenital heart disease...
- Insights into cardiac conduction system formation provided by HCN4 expressionXingqun Liang
Key Laboratory of Arrhythmia, Ministry of Education, East Hospital, Tongji University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, San Diego, CA
Trends Cardiovasc Med 25:1-9. 2015....
- Loss of IP3R-dependent Ca2+ signalling in thymocytes leads to aberrant development and acute lymphoblastic leukemiaKunfu Ouyang
1 Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA 2 Drug Discovery Center, Key Laboratory of Chemical Genomics, Peking University Shenzhen Graduate School, Shenzhen 518055, China
Nat Commun 5:4814. 2014..These data indicate that IP3R-mediated Ca(2+) signalling reinforces Tcf-1 activity to both ensure normal development and prevent thymocyte neoplasia...
- Antagonism between retinoic acid and fibroblast growth factor signaling during limb developmentThomas J Cunningham
Development and Aging Program, Sanford Burnham Medical Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Cell Rep 3:1503-11. 2013..These findings reconcile disparate ideas regarding RA-FGF antagonism and provide insight into how endogenous RA programs the early embryo...
- Myofibroblasts revert to an inactive phenotype during regression of liver fibrosisTatiana Kisseleva
Department of Medicine, School of Pharmacy, University of California, San Diego, CA 92093, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:9448-53. 2012..Inactivation of HSCs was associated with up-regulation of the anti-apoptotic genes Hspa1a/b, which participate in the survival of HSCs in culture and in vivo...
- Early postmyocardial infarction survival in Murphy Roths Large mice is mediated by attenuated apoptosis and inflammation but depends on genetic backgroundDarlene L Hunt
Department of Bioengineering, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, CA, USA
Exp Physiol 97:102-14. 2012..The intermediate survival, apoptosis and inflammation profile of LG/J mice suggests that this high tolerance for MI in the MRL mouse could be derived from its shared genetic background with the LG/J mouse...
- LIM-homeodomain transcription factor Isl-1 mediates kisspeptin's effect on insulin secretion in miceJuan Chen
State Key Laboratory of Agrobiotechnology J C, R F, J P, Y L, X Z, S C, J L, College of Biological Sciences, China Agricultural University, Beijing 100193, People s Republic of China The 306th Hospital of PLA Y C, Beijing 100853, People s Republic of China and Skaggs School of Pharmacy S M E, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093
Mol Endocrinol 28:1276-90. 2014..These findings are important in understanding mechanisms of insulin secretion and metabolism in diabetes. ..
- Expression of the hyperpolarization-activated cyclic nucleotide-gated cation channel HCN4 during mouse heart developmentCristina Garcia-Frigola
Institute of Molecular Medicine and Department of Medicine, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0613, USA
Gene Expr Patterns 3:777-83. 2003..The site of HCN4 expression in late embryonic heart coincided with the location of the SA node in postnatal and adult heart [Cardiovasc. Res. 52 (2001) 51]. Our results suggest that HCN4 may be a unique marker of the developing SA node...
- Development of the cardiac conduction system as delineated by minK-lacZRichard P Kondo
Institute of Molecular Medicine, University of California, San Diego, California, La Jolla 92093, USA
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 14:383-91. 2003..More recently, the spatial expression of minK-lacZ in the adult mouse heart has been shown, for the larger part, to be coincident with the conduction tissues...
- Multipotent embryonic isl1+ progenitor cells lead to cardiac, smooth muscle, and endothelial cell diversificationAlessandra Moretti
Massachusetts General Hospital Cardiovascular Research Center, Charles River Plaza CPZN 3208, 185 Cambridge Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Cell 127:1151-65. 2006....
- The contribution of Islet1-expressing splanchnic mesoderm cells to distinct branchiomeric muscles reveals significant heterogeneity in head muscle developmentElisha Nathan
Department of Biological Regulation, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 76100, Israel
Development 135:647-57. 2008..Our findings demonstrate, for the first time, the contribution of Isl1(+) SpM cells to a subset of branchiomeric skeletal muscles...
- The renewal and differentiation of Isl1+ cardiovascular progenitors are controlled by a Wnt/beta-catenin pathwayYibing Qyang
Cardiovascular Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charles River Plaza CPZN 3208, 185 Cambridge Street, Boston, MA 02114 2790, USA
Cell Stem Cell 1:165-79. 2007..Agents that manipulate Wnt signals can markedly expand isl1(+) progenitors from human neonatal hearts, a key advance toward the cloning of human isl1(+) heart progenitors...
- TINMAN HOMOLOGUES AND CARDIAC DEVELOPMENTSylvia Evans; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Temporal and Spatial BMP Signalling and CardiogenesisSylvia Evans; Fiscal Year: 2004..Development of this technology should have far-reaching impact for future studies of cell and organ fate decisions in frogs, and will make possible experiments which are currently not possible in other systems. ..
- The Role of Tbox20 in Cardiac Development & Adult HeartSylvia M Evans; Fiscal Year: 2010..Tbx20, Tbx2 and Nmyc1 play essential roles in heart development, and Tbx2 and Nmyc1 play critical roles in tumor cells, suggesting that results of our studies will be of significance for congenital heart disease, and potentially cancer. ..