Simon J Evans
Affiliation: University of Michigan
- Association of plasma ω-3 and ω-6 lipids with burden of disease measures in bipolar subjectsSimon J Evans
Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
J Psychiatr Res 46:1435-41. 2012....
- Fats and factors: lipid profiles associate with personality factors and suicidal history in bipolar subjectsSimon J Evans
Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e29297. 2012....
- Dysregulation of the fibroblast growth factor system in major depressionS J Evans
Department of Psychiatry and Mental Health Research Institute, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:15506-11. 2004..We also make available the gene-expression profile of all of the other growth factors and growth factor receptors detected in these postmortem samples...
- DNA microarray analysis of functionally discrete human brain regions reveals divergent transcriptional profilesS J Evans
Pritzker Consortium for Severe Psychiatric Disorders, San Francisco, CA, USA
Neurobiol Dis 14:240-50. 2003....
- Dietary n-3:n-6 fatty acid ratios differentially influence hormonal signature in a rodent model of metabolic syndrome relative to healthy controlsPaul R Burghardt
Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience Institute, The University of Michigan, MBNI 2028, 205 Zina Pitcher Place, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Nutr Metab (Lond) 7:53. 2010..Further research is necessary to establish these responses in human populations...
- Gene expression profiling of neurochemically defined regions of the human brain by in situ hybridization-guided laser capture microdissectionRene Bernard
Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience Institute, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
J Neurosci Methods 178:46-54. 2009..Future studies will utilize this approach for gene expression profiling of neurochemically defined regions of postmortem brains collected from mood disorder patients...
- Combining laser capture microdissection with quantitative real-time PCR: effects of tissue manipulation on RNA quality and gene expressionIlan A Kerman
Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience Institute, Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, 205 Zina Pitcher Place, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
J Neurosci Methods 153:71-85. 2006..These results demonstrate feasibility of performing accurate semi-quantitative gene expression analyses in LCM samples...
- Sample matching by inferred agonal stress in gene expression analyses of the brainJun Z Li
Stanford Human Genome Center, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA, USA
BMC Genomics 8:336. 2007..This problem is analogous to the one encountered in genetic association studies, where self-reported race and ethnicity are often imprecise proxies for an individual's actual genetic ancestry...
- Overexpressing the glucocorticoid receptor in forebrain causes an aging-like neuroendocrine phenotype and mild cognitive dysfunctionQiang Wei
Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience Institute, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
J Neurosci 27:8836-44. 2007..Thus, even in the absence of chronic stress, elevation of GR gene expression can lead to an increased allostatic load and result in an "aging-like" phenotype in young animals...
- The fibroblast growth factor system and mood disordersCortney A Turner
Department of Psychiatry, Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience Institute, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Biol Psychiatry 59:1128-35. 2006..In summary, a reduced tone in the FGF system might alter brain development or remodeling and result in a predisposition or vulnerability to mood disorders, including major depression...
- A pilot study investigating tumor necrosis factor-α as a potential intervening variable of atypical antipsychotic-associated metabolic syndrome in bipolar disorderAlan R Prossin
Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Ther Drug Monit 35:194-202. 2013..Here, we investigate the potential intervening role of TNF-α in the indirect relationship between AAP treatment and MetS in BD...
- Microarray technology: a review of new strategies to discover candidate vulnerability genes in psychiatric disordersWilliam E Bunney
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, Irvine 92697, USA
Am J Psychiatry 160:657-66. 2003..Instead of studying one gene at a time, microarrays provide the opportunity to analyze thousands of genes at once...
- Dietary, lifestyle and pharmacogenetic factors associated with arteriole endothelial-dependent vasodilatation in schizophrenia patients treated with atypical antipsychotics (AAPs)Vicki L Ellingrod
University of Michigan, College of Pharmacy, Department of Clinical Social and Administrative Sciences, 428 Church Street, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Schizophr Res 130:20-6. 2011..This study examined the status of endothelial function within the schizophrenia population and determined pharmacogenetic, medication, dietary, and lifestyle factors associated with this functioning...
- Evaluation of Affymetrix Gene Chip sensitivity in rat hippocampal tissue using SAGE analysis. Serial Analysis of Gene ExpressionSimon J Evans
Mental Health Research Institute, 205 Zina Pitcher Place, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0720, USA
Eur J Neurosci 16:409-13. 2002..This report provides the first broad evaluation of Affymetrix Gene Chip sensitivity relevant to studying the brain...
- The fibroblast growth factor family and mood disordersH Akil
University of Michigan, Mental Health Research Institute, Ann Arbor 48109, USA
Novartis Found Symp 289:94-6; discussion 97-100, 193-5. 2008..This paper is focused on a group of growth factors, the fibroblast growth factor (FGF) family and their potential role in mood disorders...
- Effect of agonal and postmortem factors on gene expression profile: quality control in microarray analyses of postmortem human brainHiroaki Tomita
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, University of California-Irvine, Irvine, CA 92697-1675, USA
Biol Psychiatry 55:346-52. 2004..Reducing the variance due to agonal factors is critical in investigating small but validated gene expression differences in messenger RNA levels between psychiatric patients and control subjects...
- Application of microarray technology in primate behavioral neuroscience researchAdriaan M Karssen
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University, USA
Methods 38:227-34. 2006....
- Systematic changes in gene expression in postmortem human brains associated with tissue pH and terminal medical conditionsJun Z Li
Department of Genetics, Stanford University School of Medicine, California 94305, USA
Hum Mol Genet 13:609-16. 2004..These findings shed light on critical molecular mechanisms that are engaged during different forms of terminal stress, and may suggest clinical targets of protection or restoration...
- Integration of Stress and Reproductive Axes by DopamineSimon Evans; Fiscal Year: 2007....