K E Ensrud
Affiliation: University of Minnesota
- Treatment with alendronate prevents fractures in women at highest risk: results from the Fracture Intervention TrialK E Ensrud
Department of Medicine, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis 55417, USA
Arch Intern Med 157:2617-24. 1997..The efficacy of antiresorptive therapy in preventing fractures in women at highest fracture risk, such as very elderly women or those with severe osteoporosis, is uncertain...
- Rate and circumstances of clinical vertebral fractures in older menS S Freitas
Department of Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR, USA
Osteoporos Int 19:615-23. 2008..Fractures were more common in the most elderly men, and were usually associated with falls and other low-energy trauma...
- Potential for bone turnover markers to cost-effectively identify and select post-menopausal osteopenic women at high risk of fracture for bisphosphonate therapyJ T Schousboe
Division of Health Services Research and Policy, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Osteoporos Int 18:201-10. 2007..Measurement of bone turnover may cost-effectively identify a subset of women with T-score >-2.5 for whom anti-resorptive drug therapy is cost-effective...
- Depressive symptoms and rates of bone loss at the hip in older menS J Diem
Department of Medicine and Division of Epidemiology and Community Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55415, USA
Osteoporos Int 24:111-9. 2013..Poorer performance on physical function tests partly explained the association between depressive symptoms and bone loss, suggesting that efforts to increase exercise and improve physical performance in depressed men may be beneficial...
- Renal function and nonvertebral fracture risk in multiethnic women: the Women's Health Initiative (WHI)K E Ensrud
Department of Medicine, University of Minnesota, One Veterans Drive 111 0, Minneapolis, MN 55417, USA
Osteoporos Int 23:887-99. 2012..Reduced renal function appeared to increase fracture risk among Black women, but there was little evidence to support this association among other racial/ethnic groups...
- Short-term changes in bone turnover markers and bone mineral density response to parathyroid hormone in postmenopausal women with osteoporosisD C Bauer
Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco Coordinating Center, 185 Berry 5700, San Francisco, CA 94107, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:1370-5. 2006..Treatment of osteoporotic women with PTH increases biochemical markers of bone turnover, increases axial bone mineral density (BMD), and reduces fracture risk...
- Renal function and rate of hip bone loss in older men: the Osteoporotic Fractures in Men StudyA Ishani
Center for Chronic Disease Outcomes Research, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Osteoporos Int 19:1549-56. 2008..Future randomized controlled trials should test whether interventions in this high risk population are effective in preventing bone loss and decreasing fracture incidence...
- Low fractional calcium absorption increases the risk for hip fracture in women with low calcium intake. Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research GroupK E Ensrud
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417, USA
Ann Intern Med 132:345-53. 2000..However, the associations between fractional calcium absorption, dietary calcium intake, and risk for fracture have never been studied...
- Correlates of attributing new disability to old age. Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research GroupC A Sarkisian
Department of Medicine, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90095 1687, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 49:134-41. 2001..To describe women who attribute new disability to old age and to identify demographic, medical, behavioral, and psychosocial characteristics that correlate with attributing new disability to old age...
- Performance of FRAX in a cohort of community-dwelling, ambulatory older men: the Osteoporotic Fractures in Men (MrOS) studyB Ettinger
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Osteoporos Int 24:1185-93. 2013..We evaluated performance of FRAX in older men who participated in the Osteoporotic Fractures in Men (MrOS) study...
- Incident vertebral fractures and mortality in older women: a prospective studyD M Kado
Division of Geriatrics, Department of Medicine, The David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California, 10945 Le Conte Avenue, Suite 2339, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Osteoporos Int 14:589-94. 2003..06; 95% CI=0.88 1.28). Older women with incident vertebral fractures have an increased risk of mortality that may be explained by weight loss and physical frailty...