Daniel A Engel
Affiliation: University of Virginia
- Yeast based small molecule screen for inhibitors of SARS-CoVMatthew Frieman
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Maryland, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e28479. 2011....
- The influenza virus NS1 protein as a therapeutic targetDaniel A Engel
Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Cancer Biology, University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville, VA 22908, United States Electronic address
Antiviral Res 99:409-16. 2013..This review describes biochemical, cell-based and nucleic acid-based approaches to identifying NS1 antagonists. ..
- Design, synthesis, and evaluation of novel small molecule inhibitors of the influenza virus protein NS1Joseph J Jablonski
University of Virginia, Department of Chemistry, Charlottesville, VA 22904, USA
Bioorg Med Chem 20:487-97. 2012..Results suggest that the target binding site tolerates hydrophobic bulk as well as having a preference for weakly basic substituents...
- Transcription releases protein VII from adenovirus chromatinJiangning Chen
Department of Microbiology, University of Virginia Health System, PO Box 800734, Charlottesville, VA 22908 0734, USA
Virology 369:411-22. 2007..Our data support a model in which early gene transcription results in a change in the structure of the viral chromatin...
- Novel inhibitor of influenza non-structural protein 1 blocks multi-cycle replication in an RNase L-dependent mannerMarcin P Walkiewicz
Department of Microbiology, University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
J Gen Virol 92:60-70. 2011..This represents a new direction for anti-influenza virus drug development that exploits the IFN pathway to challenge virus replication...
- Adenovirus protein VII functions throughout early phase and interacts with cellular proteins SET and pp32Yuming Xue
Department of Microbiology, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
J Virol 79:2474-83. 2005..Interestingly, disappearance of the dots required ongoing RNA synthesis but not DNA synthesis. Taken together these data indicate that protein VII has an ongoing role during early phase and the beginning of DNA replication...
- Adenovirus protein VII condenses DNA, represses transcription, and associates with transcriptional activator E1AJeffrey S Johnson
Department of Microbiology, University of Virginia Health System, P O Box 800734, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
J Virol 78:6459-68. 2004..These studies define the in vivo functions of protein VII in DNA binding, condensation, and transcriptional repression and indicate a role in E1A-mediated transcriptional activation of viral genes...
- Insertion of CTCF-binding sites into a first-generation adenovirus vector reduces the innate inflammatory response and prolongs transgene expressionJerome Schaack
Department of Microbiology, University of Colorado Medical School, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Virology 412:136-45. 2011....
- Novel influenza virus NS1 antagonists block replication and restore innate immune functionDipanwita Basu
Department of Microbiology, University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville, 22908, USA
J Virol 83:1881-91. 2009..These data demonstrate that the function of NS1 can be modulated by chemical inhibitors and that such inhibitors will be useful as probes of biological function and as starting points for clinical drug development...
- Accurate single-day titration of adenovirus vectors based on equivalence of protein VII nuclear dots and infectious particlesMarcin P Walkiewicz
Department of Microbiology, University of Virginia Health System, P O Box 800734, Charlottesville, VA 22908 0734, USA
J Virol Methods 159:251-8. 2009..The method can be applied to any adenovirus vector and gives results equivalent to the standard plaque assay...
- An integrated, valveless system for microfluidic purification and reverse transcription-PCR amplification of RNA for detection of infectious agentsKristin A Hagan
Department of Chemistry, University of Virginia, McCormick Road, P O Box 400319, Charlottesville, VA 22904, USA
Lab Chip 11:957-61. 2011..This was initially accomplished on a two-chip system to optimize the SPE and RT-PCR, and then translated to an integrated SPE-RT-PCR device...
- Adenovirus type 5 DNA-protein complexes from formaldehyde cross-linked cells early after infectionDavid J Spector
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Virology 312:204-12. 2003..The S component probably contained uncoated nuclear viral DNA that assembles into early viral transcription complexes...
- Adenovirus E1A requires the yeast SAGA histone acetyltransferase complex and associates with SAGA components Gcn5 and Tra1Caroline A Kulesza
Department of Microbiology and Cancer Center, University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville, Virginia, VA 22908, USA
Oncogene 21:1411-22. 2002..These results indicate a strong requirement for intact SAGA complex for E1A to function in yeast, and suggest a role for SAGA-like complexes in mammalian cell transformation...
- CHROMATIN TARGETS FOR CANCER THERAPYDaniel Engel; Fiscal Year: 2002..Lead compounds will be tested further in mammalian cell culture systems to examine their potential as therapeutic agents, and their specific effects on mammalian chromatin dynamics. ..
- Novel Tool Compounds for Chromatin ResearchDaniel Engel; Fiscal Year: 2004..These two areas will be the main thrust of the future development of this project. ..
- ADENOVIRUS E1A PROTEIN AND THE SWI/SNF COMPLEXDaniel Engel; Fiscal Year: 2005..The yeast proteins that interact with E1A will be identified and their influence on E1A activity will be determined. Similar studies will then be conducted in mammalian cells using the information gained from the yeast system. ..
- Development of Yeast-Based Assays for anti-influenza drug discoveryDaniel Engel; Fiscal Year: 2006..This system will be used to establish microtiter plate assays and robotics screening. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- High Throughput Screen for Inhibitors of Influenza NS1 Protein FunctionDaniel Engel; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..