W L Drew
Affiliation: University of California
- Highly quantitative serological detection of anti-cytomegalovirus (CMV) antibodiesPeter D Burbelo
Neurobiology and Pain Therapeutics Section, Laboratory of Sensory Biology, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Virol J 6:45. 2009..Currently, there is a need for improved quantitative serological tests to document seropositivity with high sensitivity and specificity...
- CMV retinitis screening and treatment in a resource-poor setting: three-year experience from a primary care HIV/AIDS programme in MyanmarNini Tun
California Pacific Medical Center, San Francisco, USA
J Int AIDS Soc 14:41. 2011..Prior to this programme, CMV retinitis was not routinely examined for, or treated, in Myanmar...
- Absence of activation of CMV by blood transfusion to HIV-infected, CMV-seropositive patientsW Lawrence Drew
University of California, San Francisco, Mount Zion Medical Center, California 94115, USA
Transfusion 43:1351-7. 2003....
- Is combination antiviral therapy for CMV superior to monotherapy?W Lawrence Drew
UCSF Mount Zion Medical Center, University of California San Francisco, 1600 Divisadero Street, Box 1629, San Francisco, CA 94115, USA
J Clin Virol 35:485-8. 2006..The combination is frequently used when resistance to either drug is suspected...
- Maribavir sensitivity of cytomegalovirus isolates resistant to ganciclovir, cidofovir or foscarnetW Lawrence Drew
UCSF Mount Zion Medical Center, University of California, 1600 Divisadero Street, San Francisco, CA 94115, USA
J Clin Virol 37:124-7. 2006..The cytomegalovirus (CMV) UL97 inhibitor drug maribavir (MBV) is undergoing clinical antiviral trials...
- Frequency and duration of plasma CMV viremia in seroconverting blood donors and recipientsW Lawrence Drew
UCSF Mount Zion Medical Center, University of California and the Blood Centers of the Pacific, USA
Transfusion 43:309-13. 2003..To explain this residual risk, evidence of cell-free viremia was sought in seroconverting and seroprevalent blood donors and seroconverting transfusion recipients by means of a plasma-based assay for CMV DNA...
- Laboratory diagnosis of cytomegalovirus infection and disease in immunocompromised patientsW Lawrence Drew
University of California, San Francisco, UCSF Medical Center at Mount Zion, San Francisco, California 94115, USA
Curr Opin Infect Dis 20:408-11. 2007..To review new developments in PCR technology as they apply to detecting cytomegalovirus viremia and pneumonia, recent advances in detecting CMV resistance to antivirals and assays of specific CMV lymphocyte function...
- Cytomegalovirus (CMV) resistance to antiviralsW L Drew
Department of Laboratory Medicine, UCSF Mt Zion Medical Center, San Francisco, CA, USA
Am J Transplant 1:307-12. 2001..Factors that favor the development of clinical and in vitro antiviral resistance are discussed. Finally, approaches to altering antiviral therapy as resistance develops are outlined...
- Cytomegalovirus glycoprotein B groups in human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients with incident retinitisW Lawrence Drew
Mount Zion Medical Center, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94115, USA
J Infect Dis 186:114-7. 2002..These rates were similar among case patients and control subjects and were similar by risk group. The CMV gB2 genotype is not a major determinant of retinitis pathogenicity but appears to be highly prevalent among HIV-infected patients...
- Cytomegalovirus resistance testing: pitfalls and problems for the clinicianW Lawrence Drew
UCSF Medical Center at Mount Zion, University of California, San Francisco, 94115, USA
Clin Infect Dis 50:733-6. 2010..The indications for such testing and the contraindications are discussed, as are the interpretation of results and the evidence of cross-resistance between antivirals...
- Emergence of drug-resistant cytomegalovirus retinitis in the contralateral eyes of patients with AIDS treated with ganciclovirYumi Imai
Francis I. Proctor Foundation for Research in Ophthalmology and Department of Ophthalmology, University of California at San Francisco, 95 Kirkham Street, San Francisco, CA 94143-0944, USA
J Infect Dis 189:611-5. 2004..023; Fisher's exact test)...
- Cytomegalovirus (CMV) resistance in patients with CMV retinitis and AIDS treated with oral or intravenous ganciclovirW L Drew
Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, University of California at San Francisco Mt Zion Medical Center, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Infect Dis 179:1352-5. 1999..Since IC50s for clinical isolates increased proportionately with treatment duration, it is likely that viral resistance would be more frequent with longer treatment...
- Phase I dose escalation trial evaluating the pharmacokinetics, anti-human cytomegalovirus (HCMV) activity, and safety of 1263W94 in human immunodeficiency virus-infected men with asymptomatic HCMV sheddingJacob P Lalezari
Quest Clinical Research, San Francisco, California, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:2969-76. 2002..9 to 3.7 log(10) PFU/ml among the four regimens evaluated for anti-HCMV activity. 1263W94 was generally well tolerated; taste disturbance was the most frequently reported adverse event over the 28-day dosing period...
- High dose oral ganciclovir treatment for cytomegalovirus retinitisJacob P Lalezari
Quest Clinical Research, 2300 Sutter Street, Suite 202 San Francisco, CA 94115, USA
J Clin Virol 24:67-77. 2002..Median time to progression of CMV retinitis is 12-20 days shorter with oral compared to IV ganciclovir maintenance, likely due to the limited oral bioavailability of ganciclovir...
- Utility of DNA microarrays for detection of viruses in acute respiratory tract infections in childrenCharles Y Chiu
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Pediatr 153:76-83. 2008..To assess the utility of a panviral DNA microarray platform (Virochip) in the detection of viruses associated with pediatric respiratory tract infections (RTIs)...
- Viral DNA polymerase mutations associated with drug resistance in human cytomegalovirusSunwen Chou
Medical and Research Services, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and Division of Infectious Diseases, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97201, USA
J Infect Dis 188:32-9. 2003..This study significantly increases the number of confirmed CMV pol resistance mutations, at both conserved and nonconserved loci, with implications for molecular mechanisms and the genotypic diagnosis of antiviral resistance...
- CMV DNA is rarely detected in healthy blood donors using validated PCR assaysJohn D Roback
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Transfusion 43:314-21. 2003..NAT of blood components for CMV DNA has been proposed to further reduce the risks of TT-CMV. However, large-scale studies to determine the utility of validated CMV NAT assays for donor screening have not been reported...
- Development of new cytomegalovirus UL97 and DNA polymerase mutations conferring drug resistance after valganciclovir therapy in allogeneic stem cell recipientsJennifer E Marfori
Medical and Research Services, VA Medical Center and Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR, USA
J Clin Virol 38:120-5. 2007..We report on two allogeneic stem cell transplant recipients who developed cytomegalovirus disease associated with new viral mutations that conferred antiviral drug resistance...
- Cytomegalovirus UL97 phosphotransferase mutations that affect susceptibility to ganciclovirSunwen Chou
Medical and Research Services, VA Medical Center, Portland, OR 97201, USA
J Infect Dis 185:162-9. 2002..Low drug levels resulting from oral GCV therapy may predispose the virus to the initial selection of these low-grade UL97 resistance mutations and to later accumulation of other mutations and greater resistance...
- Cytomegalovirus retinitis: the neglected disease of the AIDS pandemicDavid Heiden
Department of Ophthalmology and Pacific Vision Foundation, California Pacific Medical Center, San Francisco, California, United States of America
PLoS Med 4:e334. 2007
- Characterization of viral agents causing acute respiratory infection in a San Francisco University Medical Center Clinic during the influenza seasonJanice K Louie
Viral and Rickettsial Disease Laboratory, California Department of Health Services, Richmond, CA 94804, USA
Clin Infect Dis 41:822-8. 2005..With use of polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and a centrifugation-enhanced viral culture method, we characterized the viruses causing acute respiratory infection in adults during an influenza season...
- The role of photochemical treatment with amotosalen and UV-A light in the prevention of transfusion-transmitted cytomegalovirus infectionsJohn D Roback
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Transfus Med Rev 20:45-56. 2006..Because PCT is a technology that targets nucleic acids, it also offers a proactive process for the inactivation of a broad range of viral, bacterial, and protozoan pathogens in addition to CMV...
- I wish to comment on several points in the recent "Guidelines"W Lawrence Drew
J Clin Virol 33:79. 2005