Genomes and Genes
Stavros G Drakos
Affiliation: University of Utah
- Magnitude and time course of changes induced by continuous-flow left ventricular assist device unloading in chronic heart failure: insights into cardiac recoveryStavros G Drakos
Utah Transplantation Affiliated Hospitals UTAH Cardiac Transplant Program, Divisions of Cardiology and Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Utah Health Sciences Center, Intermountain Medical Center, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 61:1985-94. 2013..This study sought to prospectively investigate the longitudinal effects of continuous-flow left ventricular assist device (LVAD) unloading on myocardial structure and systolic and diastolic function...
- Left ventricular assist device unloading effects on myocardial structure and function: current status of the field and call for actionStavros G Drakos
UTAH Cardiac Transplant Program, Division of Cardiology, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Curr Opin Cardiol 26:245-55. 2011..Herein, we summarize and integrate insights from studies which investigated how LVAD unloading influences the structure and function of the failing human heart...
- Impact of mechanical unloading on microvasculature and associated central remodeling features of the failing human heartStavros G Drakos
Cardiovascular Department and Utah Artificial Heart Program, Intermountain Medical Center, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 56:382-91. 2010..This study investigates alterations in myocardial microvasculature, fibrosis, and hypertrophy before and after mechanical unloading of the failing human heart...
- Morbidity and mortality in heart transplant candidates supported with mechanical circulatory support: is reappraisal of the current United network for organ sharing thoracic organ allocation policy justified?Omar Wever-Pinzon
U T A H Cardiac Transplant Program, University of Utah Health Sciences Center, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Circulation 127:452-62. 2013..Survival of patients on left ventricular assist devices (LVADs) has improved. We examined the differences in risk of adverse outcomes between LVAD-supported and medically managed candidates on the heart transplant waiting list...
- A longitudinal study of the course of asymptomatic antibody-mediated rejection in heart transplantationAbdallah G Kfoury
Intermountain Medical Center and Intermountain Healthcare, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
J Heart Lung Transplant 31:46-51. 2012..Debate continues about whether therapeutic intervention is warranted to avoid adverse outcomes. In this study we examine the course of individual episodes of untreated asymptomatic AMR on follow-up endomyocardial biopsy (EMB)...
- Pulsatility and the risk of nonsurgical bleeding in patients supported with the continuous-flow left ventricular assist device HeartMate IIOmar Wever-Pinzon
Utah Transplantation Affiliated Hospitals, Cardiac Transplant Program, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Circ Heart Fail 6:517-26. 2013..Reduced pulsatility has been implicated as a contributing cause. The aim of this study was to assess the effects of different degrees of pulsatility on the incidence of nonsurgical bleeding...
- Prevalence and risks of allosensitization in HeartMate left ventricular assist device recipients: the impact of leukofiltered cellular blood product transfusionsStavros G Drakos
Utah Transplantation Affiliated Hospitals UTAH Cardiac Transplant Program, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 133:1612-9. 2007..We investigated the pattern of sensitization in left ventricular assist device recipients in relation to cellular blood product transfusions received...
- Impact of ventricular assist device complications on posttransplant survival: an analysis of the United network of organ sharing databaseAaron H Healy
Department of Surgery, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 95:870-5. 2013..We sought to determine if the presence or absence of complications in status 1A LVAD patients at the time of transplant influenced survival after transplant...
- Low-dose prophylactic intravenous immunoglobulin does not prevent HLA sensitization in left ventricular assist device recipientsStavros G Drakos
LDS Hospital, University of Utah School of Medicine, Utah Transplantation Affiliated Hospitals Cardiac Transplant Program, Salt Lake City, Utah 84143, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 82:889-93. 2006....
- Prior human leukocyte antigen-allosensitization and left ventricular assist device type affect degree of post-implantation human leukocyte antigen-allosensitizationStavros G Drakos
Utah Transplant Affiliated Hospitals UTAH Cardiac Transplant Program, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
J Heart Lung Transplant 28:838-42. 2009..04). Pre-sensitized patients are at higher risk for becoming and remaining highly HLA-allosensitized after LVAD implantation. The HeartMate II LVAD appears to cause less sensitization than HeartMate I...
- Improved survival in heart transplant patients living at high altitudeCurtis J Wozniak
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84132 2101, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 143:735-741.e1. 2012..The purpose of the present study was to determine whether altitude negatively affects survival among patients undergoing heart transplantation...
- Risk factors predictive of right ventricular failure after left ventricular assist device implantationStavros G Drakos
Cardiovascular Department, Intermountain Medical Center, Salt Lake City, Utah University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Am J Cardiol 105:1030-5. 2010....
- Changing outcomes in patients bridged to heart transplantation with continuous- versus pulsatile-flow ventricular assist devices: an analysis of the registry of the International Society for Heart and Lung TransplantationJose N Nativi
Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
J Heart Lung Transplant 30:854-61. 2011..Our aim was to determine the impact of the type of LVAD and implant era on post-transplant survival...
- Effect of reversible pulmonary hypertension on outcomes after heart transplantationStavros G Drakos
Utah Transplantation Affiliated Hospitals, Cardiac Transplant Program, LDS Hospital, Salt Lake City, Utah 84143, USA
J Heart Lung Transplant 26:319-23. 2007..Conflicting data exist regarding the impact of reversible pulmonary hypertension (PHTN) on post-transplant (Tx) outcomes. In this study we sought to determine the influence of reversible PHTN on outcomes after Tx...
- Allograft rejection in patients supported with continuous-flow left ventricular assist devicesAaron H Healy
UTAH Utah Transplant Affiliated Hospitals Cardiac Transplant Program, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 92:1601-7; discussion 1607. 2011..We sought to analyze the relationship between LVAD flow characteristics and subsequent allograft rejection in bridge to transplant (BTT) patients...
- Cardiovascular mortality among heart transplant recipients with asymptomatic antibody-mediated or stable mixed cellular and antibody-mediated rejectionAbdallah G Kfoury
Intermountain Medical Center and Intermountain Healthcare, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
J Heart Lung Transplant 28:781-4. 2009..In this study, we examined whether a differential impact on cardiovascular mortality (CVM) existed when comparing asymptomatic AMR, to stable MR or CR...
- Multivariate predictors of heart transplantation outcomes in the era of chronic mechanical circulatory supportStavros G Drakos
LDS Hospital, Salt Lake City, Utah 84143, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 83:62-7. 2007..Determining which pretransplantation (TX) characteristics predict the development of chronic renal dysfunction (CRD) or death after heart TX would enable more accurate risk assessment at the time of candidate evaluation...
- Mutations in 2 distinct genetic pathways result in cerebral cavernous malformations in miceAubrey C Chan
Molecular Medicine Program, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
J Clin Invest 121:1871-81. 2011..These results suggest that CCM may be more effectively treated by directing therapies based on the underlying genetic mutation rather than treating the condition as a single clinical entity...
- Ventricular-assist devices for the treatment of chronic heart failureStavros G Drakos
University of Athens Medical School, 3rd Department of Cardiology, Laiko Hospital, Athens, Greece
Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther 5:571-84. 2007....
- Vascular leak is a central feature in the pathogenesis of systemic sclerosisTracy M Frech
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Utah, 4B200 SOM, 30 N 1900 E, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
J Rheumatol 39:1385-91. 2012..We investigated the microvasculature alterations in the skin of patients with SSc at various stages of disease duration with whole-field digital microscopy...
- Effect of mechanical circulatory support on outcomes after heart transplantationStavros G Drakos
Utah Transplantation Affiliate Hospitals Cardiac Transplant Program, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
J Heart Lung Transplant 25:22-8. 2006....
- The cerebral cavernous malformation signaling pathway promotes vascular integrity via Rho GTPasesKevin J Whitehead
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, 30 North 1900 East, Room 4A100, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
Nat Med 15:177-84. 2009..These data offer the prospect for pharmacological treatment of a human vascular dysplasia with a widely available and safe drug...