Genomes and Genes
Andrew M Donson
Affiliation: University of Colorado Denver
- Integrated genomic analysis identifies the mitotic checkpoint kinase WEE1 as a novel therapeutic target in medulloblastomaPeter S Harris
Department of Pediatrics and Section of Pediatric Hematology Oncology BMT, Children s Hospital Colorado and University of Colorado Denver, Anschutz Medical Campus, 12800 E 19th Ave, Mail Stop 8302, Aurora, CO, 80045, USA
Mol Cancer 13:72. 2014..Medulloblastoma is the most common type of malignant brain tumor that afflicts children. Although recent advances in chemotherapy and radiation have improved outcomes, high-risk patients do poorly with significant morbidity...
- Increased immune gene expression and immune cell infiltration in high-grade astrocytoma distinguish long-term from short-term survivorsAndrew M Donson
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
J Immunol 189:1920-7. 2012..These data provide evidence of a prognostic anti-tumor adaptive immune response and rationale for future development of immunotherapy in HGA...
- Immune gene and cell enrichment is associated with a good prognosis in ependymomaAndrew M Donson
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado Denver, Mail Stop 8302, P O Box 6511, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
J Immunol 183:7428-40. 2009....
- Targeting Aurora Kinase A enhances radiation sensitivity of atypical teratoid rhabdoid tumor cellsSujatha Venkataraman
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital Colorado, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Anschutz Medical Campus, Aurora, CO, USA
J Neurooncol 107:517-26. 2012..Furthermore, inhibition of Aurora Kinase A resulted in decreased activity of pro-proliferative signaling pathways. These data indicate that inhibition of Aurora Kinase A is a promising small molecule target for ATRT therapy...
- Pediatric rhabdoid tumors of kidney and brain show many differences in gene expression but share dysregulation of cell cycle and epigenetic effector genesDiane K Birks
Department of Neurosurgery, Anschutz Medical Campus, University of Colorado at Denver, Aurora, Colorado 80010, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 60:1095-102. 2013..The aim of this study was to determine genes and biological process dysregulated in common to both AT/RTs and KRTs...
- Inhibition of cyclin-dependent kinase 6 suppresses cell proliferation and enhances radiation sensitivity in medulloblastoma cellsSusan L Whiteway
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital Colorado and University of Colorado Denver, Anschutz Medical Campus, Aurora, CO, USA
J Neurooncol 111:113-21. 2013..Our findings suggest that targeting CDK6 with small molecule inhibitors may prove beneficial in the treatment of medulloblastoma, especially when combined with radiation...
- Characterization of distinct immunophenotypes across pediatric brain tumor typesAndrea M Griesinger
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO 80045
J Immunol 191:4880-8. 2013....
- Polo-like kinase 1 (PLK1) inhibition suppresses cell growth and enhances radiation sensitivity in medulloblastoma cellsPeter S Harris
Department of Pediatrics and Children s Hospital Colorado, University of Colorado Denver, Anschutz Medical Campus, Aurora, USA
BMC Cancer 12:80. 2012..Polo-like kinase 1 (PLK1) is highly expressed in many cancers and regulates critical steps in mitotic progression. Recent studies suggest that targeting PLK1 with small molecule inhibitors is a promising approach to tumor therapy...
- Aurora kinase A as a rational target for therapy in glioblastomaValerie N Barton
Department of Pediatrics, Anschutz Medical Campus, University of Colorado Denver, Colorado 80045, USA
J Neurosurg Pediatr 6:98-105. 2010..It was hypothesized that inhibition of a molecular target associated with poor outcome would impact glioblastoma cell proliferation...
- Radiation-induced glioblastoma multiforme in children treated for medulloblastoma with characteristics of both medulloblastoma and glioblastoma multiformeJennifer R Madden
Department of Neuro Oncology, The Children s Hospital, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 32:e272-8. 2010..We recommend biopsy for tissue confirmation and genetic expression profile to shed light on the etiology of radiation-induced neoplasms...
- Clinical and molecular characteristics of congenital glioblastomaMargaret E Macy
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado, Denver, CO, USA
Neuro Oncol 14:931-41. 2012..Further study may determine whether identified gene expression differences contribute to the improved survival seen in these tumors...
- Claudin 6 is a positive marker for atypical teratoid/rhabdoid tumorsDiane K Birks
Department of Neurosurgery, Anschutz Medical Campus, University of Colorado at Denver, Aurora, Colorado, USA
Brain Pathol 20:140-50. 2010..IHC staining results closely matched the level of mRNA expression detected by microarray. CLDN6 may be a useful positive marker to help further identify AT/RTs for diagnostic and treatment purposes...
- High expression of BMP pathway genes distinguishes a subset of atypical teratoid/rhabdoid tumors associated with shorter survivalDiane K Birks
University of Colorado, Denver Anschutz Medical Campus, Department of Neurosurgery, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Neuro Oncol 13:1296-307. 2011..Our study indicates that molecular subgroups exist in AT/RTs and that molecular profiling of these comparatively rare tumors may be of diagnostic, prognostic, and therapeutic value...
- Insulin-like growth factor 2 mRNA binding protein 3 expression is an independent prognostic factor in pediatric pilocytic and pilomyxoid astrocytomaValerie N Barton
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado, Aurora, CO, USA
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 72:442-9. 2013..45; p = 0.016). High IMP3, as assessed by immunohistochemistry, has potential use as an additional predictor of poor prognosis in pediatric PA/PMAs and warrants evaluation in larger cohorts...
- Survey of MicroRNA expression in pediatric brain tumorsDiane K Birks
Department of Neurosurgery, Anschutz Medical Campus, University of Colorado at Denver, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 56:211-6. 2011..The present study provides an initial survey of miRNA expression in pediatric central nervous system (CNS) malignancies including atypical teratoid/rhabdoid tumor, ependymoma, glioblastoma, medulloblastoma, and pilocytic astrocytoma...
- Molecular sub-group-specific immunophenotypic changes are associated with outcome in recurrent posterior fossa ependymomaLindsey M Hoffman
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado Denver, 12800 East 19th Avenue, Aurora, CO, 80045, USA
Acta Neuropathol 127:731-45. 2014..Immunotherapeutic approaches may be warranted, particularly in Group A PF EPN...
- Pediatric brainstem gangliogliomas show BRAF(V600E) mutation in a high percentage of casesAndrew M Donson
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital Colorado, Aurora, CO
Brain Pathol 24:173-83. 2014..BRAF(V600E) -targeted therapeutics should be a consideration for the high percentage of pediatric brainstem GGs refractory to conventional therapies...
- Pediatric brainstem gangliogliomas show overexpression of neuropeptide prepronociceptin (PNOC) by microarray and immunohistochemistryMichael H Chan
Department of Neuro Oncology, Children s Hospital Colorado, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 59:1173-9. 2012..A less favorable prognosis exists for brainstem GGs, despite their usually identical WHO grade I status. Few large clinical series, and limited biological information, exists on these tumors, especially gene expression...
- Diffuse intrinsic pontine tumors: a study of primitive neuroectodermal tumors versus the more common diffuse intrinsic pontine gliomasAlexandra Sufit
Division of Neuro Oncology, Department of Pediatrics, The Children s Hospital of Colorado, University of Colorado, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
J Neurosurg Pediatr 10:81-8. 2012..This study presents 2 cases of diffuse pontine PNETs with molecular evidence that these are indeed PNETs, distinct from DIPGs, thus supporting biopsy of diffuse pontine tumors as a standard of care...
- Histone deacetylase inhibition decreases proliferation and potentiates the effect of ionizing radiation in atypical teratoid/rhabdoid tumor cellsJeffrey A Knipstein
Department of Pediatrics, Section of Pediatric Hematology Oncology BMT, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO, USA
Neuro Oncol 14:175-83. 2012..Our findings suggest that the addition of HDIs to ATRT therapy may prove to be beneficial, especially when administered in combination with current treatment modalities, such as radiation...
- Unique molecular characteristics of pediatric myxopapillary ependymomaValerie N Barton
Department of Pediatrics, Anschutz Medical Campus, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Brain Pathol 20:560-70. 2010..Aberrant expression of HOXB13 suggests possible recapitulation of developmental pathways in MEPN tumorigenesis. PDGFR alpha may be a potential therapeutic target in recurrent MEPN...
- PARP1 expression in pediatric central nervous system tumorsValerie N Barton
Department of Pediatrics, Anschutz Medical Campus, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, Colorado, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 53:1227-30. 2009..Poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase-1 (PARP1) is a DNA repair protein that has been studied in a variety of malignancies and may interfere with therapy-induced DNA damage, however expression in pediatric CNS tumors is unknown...
- Radiation-induced meningiomas: clinical, cytogenetic, and microarray featuresKevin O Lillehei
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Colorado at Denver Health Sciences Center, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Acta Neuropathol 116:289-301. 2008..Of note, NF2 was under-expressed in four of five RIMs (P = 0.0065), at a similar level as measured in MEN...
- Glycation of glutamate cysteine ligase by 2-deoxy-d-ribose and its potential impact on chemoresistance in glioblastomaDonald S Backos
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus, 12850 East Montview Boulevard, V20 2102, Aurora, CO, 80045, USA
Neurochem Res 38:1838-49. 2013..TP is expressed at high levels in human GBM tumors and shRNA knockdown of TP in U87 GBM cells results in a significant increase in cellular GCL enzymatic activity. ..
- Inhibition of Mer and Axl receptor tyrosine kinases in astrocytoma cells leads to increased apoptosis and improved chemosensitivityAmy K Keating
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 9:1298-307. 2010..Our results suggest Mer and Axl RTK inhibition as a novel method to improve apoptotic response and chemosensitivity in astrocytoma and provide support for these oncogenes as attractive biological targets for astrocytoma drug development...
- Cytotoxicity of glioblastoma cells mediated ex vivo by varicella-zoster virus-specific T cellsJennifer Canniff
Department of Pediatrics, University Colorado Denver School of Medicine, Denver, CO, USA
J Neurovirol 17:448-54. 2011..The protective effect of prior VZV infection against the incidence of glioma may be mediated by CTL that recognizes epitopes shared by VZV and glioma cells...
- Unique molecular characteristics of radiation-induced glioblastomaAndrew M Donson
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 66:740-9. 2007..Western blot analyses confirmed that ErbB3, Sox10, and platelet-derived growth factor receptor-alpha proteins were consistently expressed in RIGs but rarely in pediatric GBMs...