Andrew M Donson
Affiliation: University of Colorado Health Sciences Center
- Unique molecular characteristics of radiation-induced glioblastomaAndrew M Donson
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 66:740-9. 2007..Western blot analyses confirmed that ErbB3, Sox10, and platelet-derived growth factor receptor-alpha proteins were consistently expressed in RIGs but rarely in pediatric GBMs...
- Targeting Aurora Kinase A enhances radiation sensitivity of atypical teratoid rhabdoid tumor cellsSujatha Venkataraman
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital Colorado, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Anschutz Medical Campus, Aurora, CO, USA
J Neurooncol 107:517-26. 2012..Furthermore, inhibition of Aurora Kinase A resulted in decreased activity of pro-proliferative signaling pathways. These data indicate that inhibition of Aurora Kinase A is a promising small molecule target for ATRT therapy...
- Polo-like kinase 1 (PLK1) inhibition suppresses cell growth and enhances radiation sensitivity in medulloblastoma cellsPeter S Harris
Department of Pediatrics and Children s Hospital Colorado, University of Colorado Denver, Anschutz Medical Campus, Aurora, USA
BMC Cancer 12:80. 2012..Polo-like kinase 1 (PLK1) is highly expressed in many cancers and regulates critical steps in mitotic progression. Recent studies suggest that targeting PLK1 with small molecule inhibitors is a promising approach to tumor therapy...
- Radiation-induced glioblastoma multiforme in children treated for medulloblastoma with characteristics of both medulloblastoma and glioblastoma multiformeJennifer R Madden
Department of Neuro Oncology, The Children s Hospital, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 32:e272-8. 2010..We recommend biopsy for tissue confirmation and genetic expression profile to shed light on the etiology of radiation-induced neoplasms...
- Aurora kinase A as a rational target for therapy in glioblastomaValerie N Barton
Department of Pediatrics, Anschutz Medical Campus, University of Colorado Denver, Colorado 80045, USA
J Neurosurg Pediatr 6:98-105. 2010..It was hypothesized that inhibition of a molecular target associated with poor outcome would impact glioblastoma cell proliferation...
- Increased immune gene expression and immune cell infiltration in high-grade astrocytoma distinguish long-term from short-term survivorsAndrew M Donson
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
J Immunol 189:1920-7. 2012..These data provide evidence of a prognostic anti-tumor adaptive immune response and rationale for future development of immunotherapy in HGA...
- Clinical and molecular characteristics of congenital glioblastomaMargaret E Macy
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado, Denver, CO, USA
Neuro Oncol 14:931-41. 2012..Further study may determine whether identified gene expression differences contribute to the improved survival seen in these tumors...
- Claudin 6 is a positive marker for atypical teratoid/rhabdoid tumorsDiane K Birks
Department of Neurosurgery, Anschutz Medical Campus, University of Colorado at Denver, Aurora, Colorado, USA
Brain Pathol 20:140-50. 2010..IHC staining results closely matched the level of mRNA expression detected by microarray. CLDN6 may be a useful positive marker to help further identify AT/RTs for diagnostic and treatment purposes...
- High expression of BMP pathway genes distinguishes a subset of atypical teratoid/rhabdoid tumors associated with shorter survivalDiane K Birks
University of Colorado, Denver Anschutz Medical Campus, Department of Neurosurgery, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Neuro Oncol 13:1296-307. 2011..Our study indicates that molecular subgroups exist in AT/RTs and that molecular profiling of these comparatively rare tumors may be of diagnostic, prognostic, and therapeutic value...
- Survey of MicroRNA expression in pediatric brain tumorsDiane K Birks
Department of Neurosurgery, Anschutz Medical Campus, University of Colorado at Denver, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 56:211-6. 2011..The present study provides an initial survey of miRNA expression in pediatric central nervous system (CNS) malignancies including atypical teratoid/rhabdoid tumor, ependymoma, glioblastoma, medulloblastoma, and pilocytic astrocytoma...
- Pediatric brainstem gangliogliomas show overexpression of neuropeptide prepronociceptin (PNOC) by microarray and immunohistochemistryMichael H Chan
Department of Neuro Oncology, Children s Hospital Colorado, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 59:1173-9. 2012..A less favorable prognosis exists for brainstem GGs, despite their usually identical WHO grade I status. Few large clinical series, and limited biological information, exists on these tumors, especially gene expression...
- Diffuse intrinsic pontine tumors: a study of primitive neuroectodermal tumors versus the more common diffuse intrinsic pontine gliomasAlexandra Sufit
Division of Neuro Oncology, Department of Pediatrics, The Children s Hospital of Colorado, University of Colorado, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
J Neurosurg Pediatr 10:81-8. 2012..This study presents 2 cases of diffuse pontine PNETs with molecular evidence that these are indeed PNETs, distinct from DIPGs, thus supporting biopsy of diffuse pontine tumors as a standard of care...
- Histone deacetylase inhibition decreases proliferation and potentiates the effect of ionizing radiation in atypical teratoid/rhabdoid tumor cellsJeffrey A Knipstein
Department of Pediatrics, Section of Pediatric Hematology Oncology BMT, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO, USA
Neuro Oncol 14:175-83. 2012..Our findings suggest that the addition of HDIs to ATRT therapy may prove to be beneficial, especially when administered in combination with current treatment modalities, such as radiation...
- Unique molecular characteristics of pediatric myxopapillary ependymomaValerie N Barton
Department of Pediatrics, Anschutz Medical Campus, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Brain Pathol 20:560-70. 2010..Aberrant expression of HOXB13 suggests possible recapitulation of developmental pathways in MEPN tumorigenesis. PDGFR alpha may be a potential therapeutic target in recurrent MEPN...
- Immune gene and cell enrichment is associated with a good prognosis in ependymomaAndrew M Donson
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado Denver, Mail Stop 8302, P O Box 6511, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
J Immunol 183:7428-40. 2009....
- PARP1 expression in pediatric central nervous system tumorsValerie N Barton
Department of Pediatrics, Anschutz Medical Campus, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, Colorado, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 53:1227-30. 2009..Poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase-1 (PARP1) is a DNA repair protein that has been studied in a variety of malignancies and may interfere with therapy-induced DNA damage, however expression in pediatric CNS tumors is unknown...
- Molecular array analyses of 51 pediatric tumors shows overlap between malignant intracranial ectomesenchymoma and MPNST but not medulloblastoma or atypical teratoid rhabdoid tumorB K Kleinschmidt-Demasters
University of Colorado at Denver and Health Science Center, 4200 East Ninth Avenue, B 216, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Acta Neuropathol 113:695-703. 2007..This suggests a common stem cell origin or embryonic gene recapitulation for these tumors and provides novel insights into their underlying biology...
- Cytotoxicity of glioblastoma cells mediated ex vivo by varicella-zoster virus-specific T cellsJennifer Canniff
Department of Pediatrics, University Colorado Denver School of Medicine, Denver, CO, USA
J Neurovirol 17:448-54. 2011..The protective effect of prior VZV infection against the incidence of glioma may be mediated by CTL that recognizes epitopes shared by VZV and glioma cells...
- Inhibition of Mer and Axl receptor tyrosine kinases in astrocytoma cells leads to increased apoptosis and improved chemosensitivityAmy K Keating
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 9:1298-307. 2010..Our results suggest Mer and Axl RTK inhibition as a novel method to improve apoptotic response and chemosensitivity in astrocytoma and provide support for these oncogenes as attractive biological targets for astrocytoma drug development...
- Radiation-induced meningiomas: clinical, cytogenetic, and microarray featuresKevin O Lillehei
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Colorado at Denver Health Sciences Center, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Acta Neuropathol 116:289-301. 2008..Of note, NF2 was under-expressed in four of five RIMs (P = 0.0065), at a similar level as measured in MEN...
- Paired overexpression of ErbB3 and Sox10 in pilocytic astrocytomaSteven O Addo-Yobo
Department of Pediatrics and Pathology, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center UCDHSC, 80045, USA
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 65:769-75. 2006....
- MGMT promoter methylation correlates with survival benefit and sensitivity to temozolomide in pediatric glioblastomaAndrew M Donson
University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center and Denver Children s Hospital, Denver, Colorado, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 48:403-7. 2007..We explored MGMT promoter methylation in pediatric GBM and its relationship to survival and temozolomide sensitivity...
- Predicting which children are at risk for ependymoma relapseKristina Sowar
University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center (UCDHSC) and Denver Children's Hospital, Denver, Colorado 80045, USA
J Neurooncol 78:41-6. 2006..In summary, gene expression profiling may be valuable, perhaps in combination with clinical findings identified in some studies, for identifying children at high risk for ependymoma relapse...
- Gefitinib is effective against juvenile pilocytic astrocytoma in vitroNicholas K Foreman
University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center UCDHSC and The Children s Hospital, Denver, Colorado
Pediatr Blood Cancer 47:293-8. 2006..To explore the possibility for a novel therapeutic approach we measured the effect of the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) small molecule tyrosine kinase inhibitor gefitinib on five JPA primary cell-cultures...
- Measurement of tamoxifen-induced apoptosis in glioblastoma by cytometric bead analysis of active caspase-3Joy K Zartman
University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, The Children's Hospital, Denver, CO 80262, USA
J Neurooncol 67:3-7. 2004..Cytometric bead array provides a rapid technique for measuring apoptosis and the kinetics of caspase-3 activity in glioblastoma...