Scott H Donaldson
Affiliation: University of North Carolina
- Regulation of the epithelial sodium channel by serine proteases in human airwaysScott H Donaldson
Cystic Fibrosis Research and Treatment Center, Department of Medicine, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
J Biol Chem 277:8338-45. 2002..These data, therefore, suggest that protease-mediated regulation of sodium absorption is a function of human airway epithelia, and prostasin is a likely candidate for this activity...
- Sodium channels and cystic fibrosisScott H Donaldson
Cystic Fibrosis Research and Treatment Center, 6007B Thurston Bowles Building, CB 7248, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Chest 132:1631-6. 2007..The development of treatment strategies that address this defect is a logical and promising means of preventing or delaying the onset of this lethal lung disease...
- Mucociliary clearance as an outcome measure for cystic fibrosis clinical researchScott H Donaldson
Department of Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
Proc Am Thorac Soc 4:399-405. 2007..The resulting data may then be used to select those candidates that should be rapidly advanced into larger clinical trials...
- Mucus clearance and lung function in cystic fibrosis with hypertonic salineScott H Donaldson
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Cystic Fibrosis Research and Treatment Center, Chapel Hill 27599, USA
N Engl J Med 354:241-50. 2006..Through osmotic forces, hypertonic saline may increase the volume of airway surface liquid, restore mucus clearance, and improve lung function...
- Update on pathogenesis of cystic fibrosis lung diseaseScott H Donaldson
Department of Medicine, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 27599, USA
Curr Opin Pulm Med 9:486-91. 2003..Various hypotheses have attempted to explain the apparent breach of innate defenses in CF, although a definitive explanation has been elusive...
- Secreted and cell-associated adenylate kinase and nucleoside diphosphokinase contribute to extracellular nucleotide metabolism on human airway surfacesScott H Donaldson
Cystic Fibrosis Research and Treatment Center, Department of Medicine, 6019 Thurston Bowles Building, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 26:209-15. 2002....
- SPLUNC1 regulates airway surface liquid volume by protecting ENaC from proteolytic cleavageAgustin Garcia-Caballero
Cystic Fibrosis Pulmonary Research and Treatment Center, Thurston Bowles Building, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7248, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:11412-7. 2009..Thus, we propose that SPLUNC1 is secreted onto mucosal surfaces as a soluble volume sensor whose concentration and dilution can regulate ENaC activity and mucosal volumes, including that of airway surface liquid...
- Soluble mediators, not cilia, determine airway surface liquid volume in normal and cystic fibrosis superficial airway epitheliaRobert Tarran
Cystic Fibrosis Pulmonary Research and Treatment Center, The University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 27599, USA
J Gen Physiol 127:591-604. 2006..Interestingly, the amount of ASL/Cl- secretion elicited by ATP/ADO was influenced by the level of CAP-induced Na+ absorption, suggesting that there are important interactions between the soluble regulators which finely tune ASL volume...
- A2B adenosine receptors regulate the mucus clearance component of the lung's innate defense systemBrett M Rollins
Cystic Fibrosis Pulmonary Research and Treatment Center, The University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 39:190-7. 2008..A(2B)-R are required for ASL volume homeostasis in human airways, and therapies directed at inhibiting A(2B)-R may lead to a cystic fibrosis-like phenotype with depleted ASL volume and mucus stasis...
- CFTR regulation of ENaCScott H Donaldson
Cystic Fibrosis Pulmonary Research and Treatment Center, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Methods Mol Med 70:343-64. 2002
- Safety and tolerability of inhaled hypertonic saline in young children with cystic fibrosisElisabeth P Dellon
Department of Pediatrics, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7217, USA
Pediatr Pulmonol 43:1100-6. 2008..Initiating therapies in young patients has potential to preserve lung function. Before conducting a therapeutic trial of HS in this population, its safety must be evaluated and protocols for monitoring response must be tested...
- Comparison of 133 xenon ventilation equilibrium scan (XV) and 99m technetium transmission (TT) scan for use in regional lung analysis by 2D Gamma scintigraphy in healthy and cystic fibrosis lungsKirby L Zeman
Center for Environmental Medicine, Asthma and Lung Biology, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
J Aerosol Med Pulm Drug Deliv 26:94-100. 2013..In various laboratories, the reference image is made by a transmission scan ((57)Co or (99m)Tc) or gas ventilation scan ((133)Xe or (81)Kr). There has not been a direct comparison of measures from the two methods...
- Progress in cystic fibrosis and the CF Therapeutics Development NetworkSteven M Rowe
Department of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1819 University Boulevard MCLM 768, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Thorax 67:882-90. 2012..Efforts to advance CF biomarkers, necessary to accelerate the therapeutic goals of the network, are also summarised...
- Burkholderia gladioli: five year experience in a cystic fibrosis and lung transplantation centerMarcus P Kennedy
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Unit 403, M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Cyst Fibros 6:267-73. 2007..The impact of infection with Burkholderia gladioli in cystic fibrosis, other chronic airway diseases and immunosuppressed patients is unknown...
- Regulation of ENaC by Serine Proteases in AirwaysScott Donaldson; Fiscal Year: 2006..The PI's long term goals are to provide important new insights into the basic elements of airway defense, CF lung disease, and to bring these findings to the development of novel therapies for CF lung disease. ..