Samuel R Dominguez
Affiliation: University of Colorado Health Sciences Center
- Kawasaki disease in a pediatric intensive care unit: a case-control studySamuel R Dominguez
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine, Denver, Colorado, USA
Pediatrics 122:e786-90. 2008..We conducted a case-control study to ascertain the clinical presentations, risk factors, and clinical outcomes of children who had Kawasaki disease and were admitted to the ICU of our children's hospital...
- Multiplex MassTag-PCR for respiratory pathogens in pediatric nasopharyngeal washes negative by conventional diagnostic testing shows a high prevalence of viruses belonging to a newly recognized rhinovirus cladeSamuel R Dominguez
Department of Pediatrics, The Children s Hospital, University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine, Aurora, CO, USA
J Clin Virol 43:219-22. 2008..Respiratory infections are the most common infectious diseases in humans worldwide and are a leading cause of death in children less than 5 years of age...
- Detection of four human coronaviruses in respiratory infections in children: a one-year study in ColoradoSamuel R Dominguez
Department of Pediatrics, The Children s Hospital, University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
J Med Virol 81:1597-604. 2009..Our data raise the possibility that HCoV may play a role in gastrointestinal and CNS disease. Additional studies are needed to investigate the potential roles of HCoVs in these diseases...
- Genomic analysis of 16 Colorado human NL63 coronaviruses identifies a new genotype, high sequence diversity in the N-terminal domain of the spike gene and evidence of recombinationSamuel R Dominguez
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Anschutz Medical Campus, 12800 E 19th Ave, Room P18 9403B, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
J Gen Virol 93:2387-98. 2012..Ten different amino acid sequences were found in the NTD of the spike protein among these NL63 strains and the 75 partial published sequences of NTDs from strains found at different times throughout the world...
- Mycoplasma hominis endocarditis in a child with a complex congenital heart defectSamuel R Dominguez
University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, CO 80010, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 25:851-2. 2006..This is the first reported case of Mycoplasma endocarditis in a child and suggests consideration of this organism as a cause of culture-negative endocarditis...
- Human coronavirus HKU1 infection of primary human type II alveolar epithelial cells: cytopathic effects and innate immune responseSamuel R Dominguez
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Anschutz Medical Campus, Aurora, Colorado, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e70129. 2013..Furthermore, these studies demonstrate that human alveolar cells can be used to isolate and study novel human respiratory viruses that cause lower respiratory tract disease. ..
- Kawasaki disease and the pediatric gastroenterologist: a diagnostic challengeMohammed Eladawy
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado School of Medicine and Children s Hospital, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 56:297-9. 2013..In the present study, we report a series of patients with KD in whom a gastroenterology consult was obtained before consideration of the diagnosis of KD...
- Blinded case-control study of the relationship between human coronavirus NL63 and Kawasaki syndromeSamuel R Dominguez
Department of Pediatrics, The Children s Hospital, University of Colorado Health Science Center, Denver, CO, USA
J Infect Dis 194:1697-701. 2006..These data suggest that, although HCoV-NL63 was circulating in children in our community during the time of the study, the prevalence of infection with HCoV-NL63 was not greater in patients with KS than in control subjects...
- Advances in the treatment of Kawasaki diseaseSamuel R Dominguez
Department of Pediatrics, Section of Infectious Diseases, Children s Hospital Colorado, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
Curr Opin Pediatr 25:103-9. 2013..Although there is no conclusive body of evidence defining the best second and third-line therapies for Kawasaki patients, there have been several recent studies published describing the results of these therapies...
- The new age of virus discovery: genomic analysis of a novel human betacoronavirus isolated from a fatal case of pneumoniaKathryn V Holmes
Department of Microbiology, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Aurora, Colorado, USA
MBio 4:e00548-12. 2013....
- Alphacoronaviruses in New World bats: prevalence, persistence, phylogeny, and potential for interaction with humansChristina Osborne
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Aurora, Colorado, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e19156. 2011..Further CoV surveillance studies in bats throughout the Americas are warranted...