Affiliation: University of California
- Radiation-induced mucositis: a randomized clinical trial of micronized sucralfate versus salt & soda mouthwashesMarylin J Dodd
Department of Physiological Nursing, UCSF School of Nursing, Box 0610, San Francisco, CA 94143 0610, USA
Cancer Invest 21:21-33. 2003..Given that there is no significant difference in efficacy between micronized sucralfate and salt & soda, use of the less costly salt & soda is prudent and cost-effective...
- Advancing the science of symptom managementM Dodd
San Francisco School of Nursing, University of California, CA 94143 0610, USA
J Adv Nurs 33:668-76. 2001....
- A randomized controlled trial of home-based exercise for cancer-related fatigue in women during and after chemotherapy with or without radiation therapyMarylin J Dodd
School of Nursing, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Cancer Nurs 33:245-57. 2010..Few studies have evaluated an individualized home-based exercise prescription during and after cancer treatment...
- The effect of symptom clusters on functional status and quality of life in women with breast cancerMarylin J Dodd
Department of Physiological Nursing, School of Nursing, University of California, San Francisco, N631, 2 Koret Way, San Francisco, CA 94143 0610, USA
Eur J Oncol Nurs 14:101-10. 2010..e., pain, fatigue, sleep disturbances, depression); (2) these subgroups differ on outcomes (i.e., functional status, quality of life); (3) subgroup membership changes over time...
- Identification of latent classes in patients who are receiving biotherapy based on symptom experience and its effect on functional status and quality of lifeMarylin J Dodd
Department of Physiological Nursing in the School of Nursing, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Oncol Nurs Forum 38:33-42. 2011..to identify subgroups of patients receiving biotherapy with pain, fatigue, sleep disturbance, and depression and to determine functional status and quality of life differences between subgroups...
- The pathogenesis and characterization of oral mucositis associated with cancer therapyMarilyn Dodd
Department of Physiological Nursing, University of California, School of Nursing, San Francisco, USA
Oncol Nurs Forum 31:5-11. 2004..To describe the current knowledge about the pathogenesis of oral mucositis associated with cancer therapy and oral mucositis...
- The PRO-SELF pain control program improves patients' knowledge of cancer pain managementJung Eun Kim
University of California Medical Center, San Francisco, CA, USA
Oncol Nurs Forum 31:1137-43. 2004..To evaluate the effectiveness of a psychoeducational program (i.e., PRO-SELF Pain Control Program) compared to standard care in increasing patients' knowledge regarding cancer pain management...
- Potential mechanisms for chemotherapy-induced impairments in cognitive functionCatherine Jansen
Kaiser Permanente Medical Center in San Francisco, University of California, USA
Oncol Nurs Forum 32:1151-63. 2005....
- Prevalence, severity, and impact of symptoms on female family caregivers of patients at the initiation of radiation therapy for prostate cancerBarbara Swore Fletcher
University of California, 2 Koret Way, Box 0610, San Francisco, CA 94143 0610, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:599-605. 2008....
- Differences in symptom clusters identified using occurrence rates versus symptom severity ratings in patients at the end of radiation therapyEsther Kim
School of Nursing, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143 0610, USA
Cancer Nurs 32:429-36. 2009..For all 3 symptom clusters, the patients with breast cancer had higher symptom cluster severity scores than the patients with prostate cancer...
- Changes in symptom clusters in patients undergoing radiation therapyEsther Kim
School of Nursing, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Support Care Cancer 17:1383-91. 2009....
- Chemotherapy-induced cognitive impairment in women with breast cancer: a critique of the literatureCatherine E Jansen
Department of Physiological Nursing, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Oncol Nurs Forum 32:329-42. 2005..To review and critique the studies that have investigated chemotherapy-induced impairments in cognitive function in women with breast cancer...
- Preliminary results of a longitudinal study of changes in cognitive function in breast cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy with doxorubicin and cyclophosphamideCatherine E Jansen
San Francisco Kaiser Permanente Medical Center, San Francisco, CA 94115, USA
Psychooncology 17:1189-95. 2008....
- The self-reported likelihood of patient delay in breast cancer: new thoughts for early detectionNoreen C Facione
University of California San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Prev Med 34:397-407. 2002..Delayed presentation of self-discovered breast symptoms influences stage of cancer at diagnosis and decreases breast cancer survival...
- Epidemiological and genetic factors associated with ovarian cancerMonica R McLemore
Department of Physiologic Nursing, School of Nursing, University of California, San Francisco, 520 Frederick St, 31, San Francisco, CA 94117, USA
Cancer Nurs 32:281-8; quiz 289-90. 2009..The article concludes with a discussion of how oncology nurses can apply this information to improve patient care...
- Nausea at the end of adjuvant cancer treatment in relation to exercise during treatment in patients with breast cancerJiyeon Lee
School of Nursing, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Oncol Nurs Forum 35:830-5. 2008..To evaluate the relationship between nausea and exercise during and after adjuvant cancer treatment (chemotherapy and radiation therapy or chemotherapy alone)...
- Underestimation of breast cancer risk: influence on screening behaviorMaria C Katapodi
School of Nursing, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA
Oncol Nurs Forum 36:306-14. 2009..To describe perceived breast cancer risk, identify the percentage of women with inaccurate risk perceptions, and examine the influence of perceived and objective risk on screening behavior...
- Self-reported sleep quality in family caregivers of gastric cancer patients who are receiving chemotherapy in KoreaMaria H Cho
Department of Physiological Nursing, San Francisco School of Nursing, University of Califonia, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
J Cancer Educ 21:S37-41. 2006..Little research has been performed on Korean family caregivers' sleep quality and its related symptoms: fatigue and depression...
- Perceived breast cancer risk: heuristic reasoning and search for a dominance structureMaria C Katapodi
Department of Physiological Nursing, University of California San Francisco UCSF, 2 Koret Way, Box 0610, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Soc Sci Med 60:421-32. 2005..Identified heuristics appear to create predictable biases and suggest that perceived breast cancer risk is based on common cognitive patterns...
- Predictors of perceived breast cancer risk and the relation between perceived risk and breast cancer screening: a meta-analytic reviewMaria C Katapodi
Department of Physiological Nursing, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 USA
Prev Med 38:388-402. 2004..Perceived risk is a principal variable in theoretical models that attempt to predict the adoption of health-protective behaviors...
- Objective measures of health-related quality of life over 24 months post-liver transplantationJoanne B Krasnoff
Department of Physiological Nursing, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 941430 0610, USA
Clin Transplant 19:1-9. 2005..A randomized clinical trial of lifestyle modifications such as diet and exercise intervention is warranted to determine the impact of such modifications on HRQoL and fitness post-OLT...
- The usefulness of a daily pain management diary for outpatients with cancer-related painKaren L Schumacher
School of Nursing, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Oncol Nurs Forum 29:1304-13. 2002..To describe the usefulness of daily pain management diaries to outpatients with cancer who participated in a randomized clinical trial of the PRO-SELF Pain Control Program...
- Self-care intervention to reduce oral candidiasis recurrences in HIV-seropositive persons: a pilot studyJoan F Hilton
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 32:190-200. 2004..The intervention involved instruction by dentists on improving oral hygiene, minimizing sugar intake, and self-diagnosing candidiasis...
- A survey of self-care and dependent-care advice given by pediatric oncology nursesChristina Baggott
Division of Hematology Oncology at Lucile Packard Children s Hospital at Stanford, Palo Alto, CA, USA
J Pediatr Oncol Nurs 21:214-22. 2004..There was good consensus on nurses' recommending of several self-care interventions for eight common adverse symptoms and for advice that patients should promptly report to health providers certain symptoms or events...
- Mechanisms for radiation-induced oral mucositis and the consequencesAishan Shih
School of Nursing, Department of Physiological Nursing, University of California San Francisco, 2 Koret Way, San Francisco, CA 94143 0610, USA
Cancer Nurs 26:222-9. 2003....
- Symptom experience of adult hospitalized medical-surgical patientsAlison E Kris
Department of Physiological Nursing, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
J Pain Symptom Manage 28:451-9. 2004..The large sample size allowed for the detection of demographic differences in the reporting of symptom distress, and advances the current knowledge in the area...
- A review of the prevalence and impact of multiple symptoms in oncology patientsJung Eun Esther Kim
School of Nursing, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143 0610, USA
J Pain Symptom Manage 37:715-36. 2009..Only when this descriptive research is completed with homogenous samples of patients in terms of cancer diagnoses and treatments can intervention studies for multiple symptoms be developed and tested...
- Symptom cluster of fatigue and depression in HIV/AIDSJoachim Voss
National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, Neuromuscular Diseases Section, Building 10, Center Drive, Bethesda, MD 20892 1382, USA
J Prev Interv Community 33:19-34. 2007..Future research is needed to identify dimensions in different fatigue and depression scales in order to differentiate the impact of both symptoms on people living with HIV/AIDS...
- Mucositis pain induced by radiation therapy: prevalence, severity, and use of self-care behaviorsPiera C Wong
San Francisco General Hospital, California, USA
J Pain Symptom Manage 32:27-37. 2006..However, more severe pain with swallowing was not managed well throughout the study. Future studies need to test more effective strategies to manage RT-induced mucositis pain...
- Advancing our knowledge of symptom clustersMarylin J Dodd
J Support Oncol 3:30-1. 2005
- Defining clinically meaningful outcomes in the evaluation of new treatments for oral mucositis: a commentaryMarylin J Dodd
Cancer Invest 20:851-2. 2002
- The Impact of Lymphedema on Overall and Local FunctioningMarylin Dodd; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Management of Mucositis with GM-CSFMarylin Dodd; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract not provided ..
- EXERCISE--AN INTERVENTION FOR FATIGUE IN CANCER PATIENTSMarylin Dodd; Fiscal Year: 2003..The findings of this study will greatly assist in building this knowledge base. ..