Sally S Dickerson
Affiliation: University of California
- Social-evaluative threat and proinflammatory cytokine regulation: an experimental laboratory investigationSally S Dickerson
Department of Psychology and Social Behavior, University of California, Irvine, 92697 7085, USA
Psychol Sci 20:1237-44. 2009..These findings underscore the importance of social evaluation as a threat capable of eliciting proinflammatory cytokine activity and altering its regulation...
- When the social self is threatened: shame, physiology, and healthSally S Dickerson
Department of Psychology and Social Behavior, University of California, Irvine, 3340 Social Ecology II, Irvine, CA 92697 7085, USA
J Pers 72:1191-216. 2004..g., distress) are unrelated to these physiological and health outcomes. These findings support a stressor- and emotional response-specificity model for psychobiological and health research...
- Negative social evaluation, but not mere social presence, elicits cortisol responses to a laboratory stressor taskSally S Dickerson
Department of Psychology and Social Behavior, School of Medicine, University of California, Irvine 92697 7085, USA
Health Psychol 27:116-21. 2008..However, it remains unclear whether this effect is due to negative social evaluation per se or simply the presence of another during a performance situation...
- Rumination and cortisol responses to laboratory stressorsPeggy M Zoccola
Department of Psychology and Social Behavior, College of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, Irvine, California 92697 7085, USA
Psychosom Med 70:661-7. 2008..It was hypothesized that those delivering speeches in a social-evaluative context would experience more posttask rumination and that greater posttask rumination would predict elevated cortisol responses...
- Rumination predicts longer sleep onset latency after an acute psychosocial stressorPeggy M Zoccola
Department of Psychology and Social Behavior, 3340 Social Ecology II, University of California, Irvine, Irvine, CA 92697 7085, USA
Psychosom Med 71:771-5. 2009..We hypothesized that those who ruminate (assessed with both trait and stressor-specific measures) would have longer SOL (assessed with objective and subjective methods)...
- Emotion regulation and cortisol reactivity to a social-evaluative speech taskSuman Lam
University of California, Irvine, CA 92697 7085, United States of America
Psychoneuroendocrinology 34:1355-62. 2009..The aim of the present study is to investigate the relationship between trait suppression, reappraisal, and cortisol reactivity to a social-evaluative speech task...
- Immunological effects of induced shame and guiltSally S Dickerson
Department of Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Psychosom Med 66:124-31. 2004..Based on previous research and theory, it was hypothesized that induced shame would be specifically associated with elevations in proinflammatory cytokine activity...
- Acute stressors and cortisol responses: a theoretical integration and synthesis of laboratory researchSally S Dickerson
Department of Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Psychol Bull 130:355-91. 2004..These findings are consistent with the animal literature on the physiological effects of uncontrollable social threat and contradict the belief that cortisol is responsive to all types of stressors...
- Understanding the utility of emotional approach coping: evidence from a laboratory stressor and daily lifeVanessa Juth
a Social and Behavioral Sciences Gateway, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
Anxiety Stress Coping 28:50-70. 2015..EAC's association with cognitions, affect, and intra- and interindividual characteristics that may account for its utility was examined in response to an acute stressor and in daily life...
- Environmental resources moderate the relationship between social support and school sports participation among adolescents: a cross-sectional analysisDan J Graham
University of California, Irvine, Department of Psychology and Social Behavior, 4558 Social and Behavioral Sciences, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 8:34. 2011..Most Americans are not active at recommended levels. Adolescence is a developmental period when physical activity (PA) decreases markedly...
- Diurnal cortisol rhythm and fatigue in breast cancer survivorsJulienne E Bower
Cousins Center for Psychoneuroimmunology, UCLA Neuropsychiatric Institute, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Psychoneuroendocrinology 30:92-100. 2005..g. depressed mood, body mass index). Results suggest a subtle dysregulation in hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis functioning in breast cancer survivors with persistent fatigue...
- Uncoupling of social zeitgebers and diurnal cortisol secretion in clinical depressionCinnamon Stetler
Department of Psychology, University of British Columbia, 2136 West Mall, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1Z4
Psychoneuroendocrinology 29:1250-9. 2004..This lack of social entrainment may underlie some of the circadian disturbances in depression...