Affiliation: University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
- Reaching out to those in need: the case for community health scienceMark J DeHaven
Department of Family and Community Medicine, UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 9067, USA
J Am Board Fam Med 20:527-32. 2007..More emphasis on community health science is consistent with family medicine's roots in social reform, and its historical and philosophical commitment to the principle of uninhibited access to medical care for the underserved...
- Health programs in faith-based organizations: are they effective?Mark J DeHaven
Division of Community Medicine, Department of Family Practice and Community Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, 6263 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75390 9067, USA
Am J Public Health 94:1030-6. 2004..We examined the published literature on health programs in faith-based organizations to determine the effectiveness of these programs...
- Survey methodology for the uninitiatedCristen R Wall
The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Department of Family Practice and Community Medicine, Dallas, TX 75390 9067, USA
J Fam Pract 51:573. 2002..Our goal was to synthesize general survey methodology guidelines (from other disciplines as well as our own) in a manner that would be meaningful to novice family practice researchers...
- Patient perceptions of a community-based care coordination systemNora Gimpel
Department of Family and Community Medicine, UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, Texas 75390, USA
Health Promot Pract 11:173-81. 2010..Implementation of CHWs within a case management model appears to be an effective mechanism for providing health services to underserved populations...
- Anthropometric measures, presence of metabolic syndrome, and adherence to physical activity guidelines among African American church members, Dallas, Texas, 2008Kerem Shuval
University of Texas School of Public Health, Division of Epidemiology, 6011 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, Texas 75390, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 8:A18. 2011..Few studies have examined this association among African American adults...
- Revisiting the Navajo way: lessons for contemporary healingGregory W Schneider
Department of Family Practice and Community Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, USA
Perspect Biol Med 46:413-27. 2003..By examining scientific medicine, Navajo healing practices, and phenomenology as complementary disciplines, the authors provide the groundwork for reestablishing a more therapeutic view of health...
- Fostering a culture of prevention in a residency program through a continuous quality improvement projectGregory W Schneider
UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 9067, USA
Am J Med Qual 18:82-9. 2003..Whether the increased documentation of services reflected an increase in the actual provision of services and whether this increase is clinically significant require further study...
- Teaching medical students research while reaching the underservedMark J DeHaven
Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas
Fam Med 37:315-7. 2005..This study's objective was to develop and evaluate the effectiveness of a 9-week summer training program for teaching medical students research, while performing community-based participatory research in an underserved area...
- Research funding and mentoring in family medicine residenciesRichard A Young
John Peter Smith Family Medicine Residency Program, Fort Worth, Texas 76104, USA
Fam Med 39:410-8. 2007..This study's purpose was to measure the current status of research funding and mentoring in family medicine residencies and to ascertain what resources are needed to increase residencies' research output...
- Insights from practice-based researchers to develop family medicine faculty as scholarsLinda M Roth
Department of Family Medicine and Public Health Sciences, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Fam Med 39:504-9. 2007..We need to determine competencies that enable faculty to conduct PBR, methods for training faculty in PBR, and strategies to streamline PBR operations in clinics...
- Research participation, protected time, and research output by family physicians in family medicine residenciesRichard A Young
John Peter Smith Family Medicine Residency Program, Forth Worth, Tex 76104, USA
Fam Med 38:341-8. 2006..We examined the participation of family physician residency faculty in research, their protected time, and their research output and how these varied by program type...
- The GOODNEWS (Genes, Nutrition, Exercise, Wellness, and Spiritual Growth) TrialMark J DeHaven; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- The GOODNEWS (Genes, Nutrition, Exercise, Wellness, and Spiritual Growth) TrialMark DeHaven; Fiscal Year: 2009....