Affiliation: University of Maryland
- Land use change around protected areas: management to balance human needs and ecological functionRuth Defries
University of Maryland, Department of Geography, College Park, Maryland 20742, USA
Ecol Appl 17:1031-8. 2007....
- Global consequences of land useJonathan A Foley
Center for Sustainability and the Global Environment SAGE, University of Wisconsin, 1710 University Avenue, Madison, WI 53726, USA
Science 309:570-4. 2005..We face the challenge of managing trade-offs between immediate human needs and maintaining the capacity of the biosphere to provide goods and services in the long term...
- Ecology. Millennium ecosystem assessment: research needsStephen R Carpenter
Center for Limnology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53706
Science 314:257-8. 2006
- Land use change around nature reserves: implications for sustaining biodiversityAndrew J Hansen
Montana State University, USA
Ecol Appl 17:972-3. 2007
- Ecological mechanisms linking protected areas to surrounding landsAndrew J Hansen
Ecology Department, Montana State University, Bozeman, Montana 59717 3460, USA
Ecol Appl 17:974-88. 2007..These design criteria include maximizing the area of functional habitats, identifying and maintaining ecological process zones, maintaining key migration and source habitats, and managing human proximity and edge effects...