Affiliation: University of California
- Parental feeding practices in Mexican American families: initial test of an expanded measureJeanne M Tschann
Department of Psychiatry, University of California at San Francisco, CA 94143 0848, USA
Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 10:6. 2013..Items reflected both parent's use of control over child eating and child-centered feeding practices...
- Does neighborhood environment influence girls' pubertal onset? findings from a cohort studyJulianna Deardorff
School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA
BMC Pediatr 12:27. 2012..The current study prospectively examined associations between neighborhood environment and timing of pubertal onset in a multi-ethnic cohort of girls. Body mass index (BMI) was examined as a mediator of these associations...
- Sexual values and risky sexual behaviors among Latino youthsJulianna Deardorff
Division of Community Health and Human Development, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, USA
Perspect Sex Reprod Health 42:23-32. 2010..Understanding Latino youths' sexual values is key to informing HIV prevention efforts. Few studies have examined associations between culturally based sexual values and behaviors among Latinos...
- Father absence, body mass index, and pubertal timing in girls: differential effects by family income and ethnicityJulianna Deardorff
Division of Community Health and Human Development, School of Public Health, University of California Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
J Adolesc Health 48:441-7. 2011..However, most research has been retrospective, focused on menarche, and failed to consider body mass index (BMI), ethnicity, and income in the analyses. This study resolves these scientific gaps...
- Hopelessness and sexual risk behavior among adolescent African American males in a low-income urban communitySarah Kagan
University of California, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
Am J Mens Health 6:395-9. 2012..0). There was no association between hopelessness and condom use with a main partner or sex with more than one partner in the past 3 months. These findings imply that hopelessness may encourage sexual risk-taking behavior in young males...
- Condom negotiation strategies and actual condom use among Latino youthJeanne M Tschann
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA
J Adolesc Health 47:254-62. 2010..To examine which condom negotiation strategies are effective in obtaining or avoiding condom use among Latino youth...
- Contraceptive features preferred by women at high risk of unintended pregnancyLauren N Lessard
Department of Community Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Perspect Sex Reprod Health 44:194-200. 2012..To improve women's satisfaction with contraceptive methods, determining what features they prefer and how these preferences are satisfied by available methods and methods under development is crucial...
- Education and obesity at age 40 among American adultsAlison K Cohen
University of California Berkeley, School of Public Health, Division of Epidemiology, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Soc Sci Med 78:34-41. 2013..This more nuanced understanding of the role of education after controlling for a thorough set of confounders and mediators helps advance the study of social determinants of health and risk factors for obesity...
- Sexual abuse in childhood and adolescence and the risk of early pregnancy among women ages 18-22Maria Elena D Young
Community Health and Human Development Division, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720 7360, USA
J Adolesc Health 49:287-93. 2011....
- Puberty and gender interact to predict social anxiety symptoms in early adolescenceJulianna Deardorff
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
J Adolesc Health 41:102-4. 2007..One hundred-six participants were assessed at ages 9.5 and 11 years. Results suggest that gender and puberty interact to predict social anxiety symptoms. Advanced puberty was associated with increased symptoms for girls only...
- Acculturation, parent-adolescent conflict, and adolescent adjustment in Mexican American familiesLauri A Pasch
University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0848, USA
Fam Process 45:75-86. 2006..Future research should consider other factors aside from acculturation differences that might account for parent-adolescent conflict and adolescent adjustment in Mexican American families...
- Early puberty and adolescent pregnancy: the influence of alcohol useJulianna Deardorff
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94118, USA
Pediatrics 116:1451-6. 2005..Despite evidence of the direct links between early puberty and negative outcomes, this study is the first to examine the role that alcohol plays in the timing of sexual intercourse and pregnancy among early-maturing females...