Affiliation: University of California
- Socioeconomic status and age at menarche: an examination of multiple indicators in an ethnically diverse cohortJulianna Deardorff
Community Health and Human Development Division, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley Electronic address
Ann Epidemiol 24:727-33. 2014..We sought to determine which SES indicators were associated uniquely with menarche, for which ethnic groups, and whether associations operated through overweight...
- Pubertal timing and Mexican-origin girls' internalizing and externalizing symptoms: the influence of harsh parentingJulianna Deardorff
Community Health and Human Development, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720 7360, USA
Dev Psychol 49:1790-804. 2013..Findings suggest that maternal harsh parenting plays a key role in the relations between early pubertal timing and behavioral and emotional outcomes among Mexican-origin girls...
- Parental feeding practices in Mexican American families: initial test of an expanded measureJeanne M Tschann
Department of Psychiatry, University of California at San Francisco, CA 94143 0848, USA
Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 10:6. 2013..Items reflected both parent's use of control over child eating and child-centered feeding practices...
- Does neighborhood environment influence girls' pubertal onset? findings from a cohort studyJulianna Deardorff
School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA
BMC Pediatr 12:27. 2012..The current study prospectively examined associations between neighborhood environment and timing of pubertal onset in a multi-ethnic cohort of girls. Body mass index (BMI) was examined as a mediator of these associations...
- Sexual values and risky sexual behaviors among Latino youthsJulianna Deardorff
Division of Community Health and Human Development, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, USA
Perspect Sex Reprod Health 42:23-32. 2010..Understanding Latino youths' sexual values is key to informing HIV prevention efforts. Few studies have examined associations between culturally based sexual values and behaviors among Latinos...
- Father absence, body mass index, and pubertal timing in girls: differential effects by family income and ethnicityJulianna Deardorff
Division of Community Health and Human Development, School of Public Health, University of California Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
J Adolesc Health 48:441-7. 2011..However, most research has been retrospective, focused on menarche, and failed to consider body mass index (BMI), ethnicity, and income in the analyses. This study resolves these scientific gaps...
- Maternal pre-pregnancy BMI, gestational weight gain, and age at menarche in daughtersJulianna Deardorff
Division of Community Health and Human Development, University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA
Matern Child Health J 17:1391-8. 2013..Further research is needed to better understand pathways through which these factors operate. ..
- Mother-reported sleep, accelerometer-estimated sleep and weight status in Mexican American children: sleep duration is associated with increased adiposity and risk for overweight/obese statusSuzanna M Martinez
Division of General Pediatrics, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Sleep Res 23:326-34. 2014..Accelerometry appeared to be a more reliable measure of children's sleep than maternal report, yet maternal report may be sufficient to examine the sleep-adiposity relationship when resources are limited. ..
- Motivations for sex among low-income African American young womenJulianna Deardorff
1University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, CA, USA
Health Educ Behav 40:646-50. 2013..This study highlights the need for more effective intervention strategies to increase condom use expectations among low-income African American women, particularly in casual relationships where perceived risk is already high. ..
- Condom negotiation strategies and actual condom use among Latino youthJeanne M Tschann
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA
J Adolesc Health 47:254-62. 2010..To examine which condom negotiation strategies are effective in obtaining or avoiding condom use among Latino youth...
- Acculturation, parent-adolescent conflict, and adolescent adjustment in Mexican American familiesLauri A Pasch
University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0848, USA
Fam Process 45:75-86. 2006..Future research should consider other factors aside from acculturation differences that might account for parent-adolescent conflict and adolescent adjustment in Mexican American families...
- Latino youths' sexual values and condom negotiation strategiesJulianna Deardorff
Julianna Deardorff is assistant professor, and Emily J Ozer is associate professor, Division of Community Health and Human Behavior, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley
Perspect Sex Reprod Health 45:182-90. 2013..To our knowledge, no studies have examined the relationship between sexual values and condom negotiation strategies among young Latinos...
- Hopelessness and sexual risk behavior among adolescent African American males in a low-income urban communitySarah Kagan
University of California, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
Am J Mens Health 6:395-9. 2012..0). There was no association between hopelessness and condom use with a main partner or sex with more than one partner in the past 3 months. These findings imply that hopelessness may encourage sexual risk-taking behavior in young males...
- Education and obesity at age 40 among American adultsAlison K Cohen
University of California Berkeley, School of Public Health, Division of Epidemiology, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Soc Sci Med 78:34-41. 2013..This more nuanced understanding of the role of education after controlling for a thorough set of confounders and mediators helps advance the study of social determinants of health and risk factors for obesity...
- Breastfeeding versus formula-feeding and girls' pubertal developmentAarti Kale
School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, CA, USA
Matern Child Health J 19:519-27. 2015....
- Puberty and gender interact to predict social anxiety symptoms in early adolescenceJulianna Deardorff
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
J Adolesc Health 41:102-4. 2007..One hundred-six participants were assessed at ages 9.5 and 11 years. Results suggest that gender and puberty interact to predict social anxiety symptoms. Advanced puberty was associated with increased symptoms for girls only...
- Sexual abuse in childhood and adolescence and the risk of early pregnancy among women ages 18-22Maria Elena D Young
Community Health and Human Development Division, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720 7360, USA
J Adolesc Health 49:287-93. 2011....
- Early puberty and adolescent pregnancy: the influence of alcohol useJulianna Deardorff
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94118, USA
Pediatrics 116:1451-6. 2005..Despite evidence of the direct links between early puberty and negative outcomes, this study is the first to examine the role that alcohol plays in the timing of sexual intercourse and pregnancy among early-maturing females...
- Pregnancy and post-delivery maternal weight changes and overweight in preschool childrenCamille A Robinson
University of California San Francisco, School of Medicine, San Francisco, CA, USA University of California Berkeley, School of Public Health, Division of Epidemiology, Berkeley, CA, USA
Prev Med 60:77-82. 2014..To assess the additional role of weight change after delivery, we examined associations between pre- and post-pregnancy weight changes and preschooler overweight...
- Contraceptive features preferred by women at high risk of unintended pregnancyLauren N Lessard
Department of Community Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Perspect Sex Reprod Health 44:194-200. 2012..To improve women's satisfaction with contraceptive methods, determining what features they prefer and how these preferences are satisfied by available methods and methods under development is crucial...
- Type of primary education is associated with condom use at sexual debut among Chilean adolescentsAndrea Huneeus
From the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Clinica Alemana de Santiago, Universidad del Desarrollo, Chile Maternal Child Health Program, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley and Division of Biostatistics, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley
Sex Transm Dis 41:306-11. 2014..This study examined the association between type of school in which primary education was completed-public, charter, or private-and condom use at sexual debut among Chilean adolescents...