Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Pittsburgh
- Tamoxifen and depression: more evidence from the National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project's Breast Cancer Prevention (P-1) Randomized StudyR Day
National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project Biostatistical Center, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 93:1615-23. 2001....
- Quality of life and tamoxifen in a breast cancer prevention trial: a summary of findings from the NSABP P-1 study. National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel ProjectR Day
Department of Biostatistics, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 949:143-50. 2001..It is concluded that an informed discussion with a woman considering tamoxifen therapy should include these points in the risk-benefit discussion...
- Symptom measurement in the Breast Cancer Prevention Trial (BCPT) (P-1): psychometric properties of a new measure of symptoms for midlife womenDavid Cella
National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project NSABP, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 109:515-26. 2008..To evaluate scalability of a symptom scale administered to women enrolled in the Breast Cancer Prevention Trial (BCPT) (P-1) conducted by the National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project (NSABP)...
- Adenovirus 5- and 35-based immunotherapy enhances the strength but not breadth or quality of immunity during chronic SIV infectionAdam C Soloff
Department of Infectious Diseases, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Eur J Immunol 39:2437-49. 2009..The number of blood CD4(+) Tcm correlated positively with complexity of T-cell responses and negatively with virus load, suggesting that more complete restoration of this subset through vaccination would be beneficial...
- Health-related quality of life in axillary node-negative, estrogen receptor-negative breast cancer patients undergoing AC versus CMF chemotherapy: findings from the National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project B-23Stephanie R Land
NSABP Biostatistical Center, Pittsburgh, USA Department of Biostatistics, University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 86:153-64. 2004..QOL information was considered especially relevant given the possibility that the two chemotherapy regimens would prove equivalent in terms of clinical outcome...
- Increased expression of the inflammatory chemokine CXC chemokine ligand 9/monokine induced by interferon-gamma in lymphoid tissues of rhesus macaques during simian immunodeficiency virus infection and acquired immunodeficiency syndromeTodd A Reinhart
Department of Infectious Diseases, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Blood 99:3119-28. 2002....
- Caudate asymmetry: a neurobiological marker of moderate prenatal alcohol exposure in young adultsJennifer Willford
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Neurotoxicol Teratol 32:589-94. 2010..The average magnitude of caudate asymmetry for the 1T group was intermediate between the 0T and 3T groups. Subtle anatomical changes in the caudate are detected at the moderate end of the spectrum of prenatal alcohol exposure...
- Barrier methods, length of preconception intercourse, and preeclampsiaRoberta B Ness
Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
Hypertens Pregnancy 23:227-35. 2004..We tested whether barrier contraception and shorter sexual experience with the father of the pregnancy would increase the risk of preeclampsia...
- Broad cellular immunity with robust memory responses to simian immunodeficiency virus following serial vaccination with adenovirus 5- and 35-based vectorsSimon M Barratt-Boyes
Department of Infectious Diseases and Microbiology, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
J Gen Virol 87:139-49. 2006..These findings support the further development of Ad35 as a vaccine vector, and promote vaccine regimens that utilize serial administration of heterologous adenoviruses...
- HPRT gene alterations in umbilical cord blood T-lymphocytes in newborns of mothers exposed to tobacco smoke during pregnancyPhouthone Keohavong
Department of Environmental and Occupational Health, University of Pittsburgh, 3343 Forbes Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15260, USA
Mutat Res 572:156-66. 2005....
- Randomized controlled trial of a collaborative care intervention to manage cancer-related symptoms: lessons learnedJennifer Steel
Department of Surgery and Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, PA, USA
Clin Trials 8:298-310. 2011..However, few studies have expanded the collaborative care model to other settings and targeted comorbid physical symptoms of depression...
- Randomized controlled trial of the Breast Cancer Recovery Program for women with breast cancer-related lymphedemaMarjorie K McClure
Magee Women s Research Institute, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Am J Occup Ther 64:59-72. 2010..Adherence was high for this safe and effective program, which improved lymphedema physical and emotional symptoms...
- Pilot, randomized, modified, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of acupuncture for cancer-related fatigueJudith Balk
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, Magee Womens Hospital, University of Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Soc Integr Oncol 7:4-11. 2009..Despite being underpowered, it appears that subjects receiving true acupuncture may benefit more than subjects receiving sham acupuncture. In the discussion section, we review our experience with using a sham-needle controlled study...
- Improvement in intelligence test scores from 6 to 10 years in children of teenage mothersMarie D Cornelius
Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
J Dev Behav Pediatr 31:405-13. 2010..This study investigates change in IQ scores among 290 children born to teenage mothers and identifies social, economic, and environmental variables that may be associated with change in intelligence test performance...
- Predictors and correlates of high levels of depression and anxiety symptoms among children at age 10Sharon L Leech
Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 45:223-30. 2006..Marijuana exposure during gestation marginally predicted depression/anxiety at age 10...
- Traumatic grief among adolescents exposed to a peer's suicideNadine M Melhem
Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Centers for Mid Life and Late Life Mood and Anxiety Disorders, Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Am J Psychiatry 161:1411-6. 2004....
- Maternal/newborn GSTT1 null genotype contributes to risk of preterm, low birthweight infantsTomoko Nukui
Department of Medicine, The Center of Clinical Pharmacology, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Pharmacogenetics 14:569-76. 2004..However, little is known about genetic susceptibility and possible interactions with cigarette smoking which may increase risk of these events...
- The absence of interaction between drug metabolizing enzyme genotypes and maternal lifestyle factors on glycophorin A somatic mutation frequency levels in newbornsTomoko Nukui
Center for Clinical Pharmacology, Department of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15219, USA
Pharmacogenet Genomics 16:129-38. 2006..The observed variation in newborn GPA frequency might be due to either environmental factors not assessed in this study or inter-individual differences in alternative metabolic or DNA repair pathways...
- Association of the DNA repair gene XPD Asp312Asn polymorphism with p53 gene mutations in tobacco-related non-small cell lung cancerWei Min Gao
Department of Environmental and Occupational Health, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15260, USA
Carcinogenesis 24:1671-6. 2003..These results suggest that individuals who smoke and have the XPD codon 312 Asp/Asp genotype may be at a greater risk of p53 mutations, especially if combined with other polymorphisms that may result in deficient DNA repair...
- Health Effects of Radiation Exposures in Russian WorkersRichard Day; Fiscal Year: 2006....