Affiliation: University of Cincinnati
- Suppression of food intake by glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonists: relative potencies and role of dipeptidyl peptidase-4Lene Jessen
Division of Endocrinology, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH 45237, USA
Endocrinology 153:5735-45. 2012..These findings suggest distinct potencies of GLP-1 receptor agonists on food intake that cannot be explained by plasma pharmacokinetics...
- Effects of glucagon-like peptide 1 on the hepatic glucose metabolismD D'ALESSIO
Division of Endocrinology, University of Cincinnati, OH 45267 0547, USA
Horm Metab Res 36:837-41. 2004..This paper will review the current literature addressing hepatic effects of GLP-1 and identify important gaps in the knowledge base for this topic...
- Fasting and postprandial concentrations of GLP-1 in intestinal lymph and portal plasma: evidence for selective release of GLP-1 in the lymph systemDavid D'Alessio
Department of Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 293:R2163-9. 2007..In addition, these data raise the possibility that intestinal lymph may serve as a specialized signaling conduit for regulatory peptides secreted by gastrointestinal endocrine cells...
- Glucagon-like peptide 1: evolution of an incretin into a treatment for diabetesDAVID A D'ALESSIO
University of Cincinnati, Division of Endocrinology, ML 0547, Cincinnati, OH 45267, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 286:E882-90. 2004..The application of GLP-1 to clinical use fulfills a long-standing interest in adapting endogenous insulinotropic hormones to the treatment of diabetes...
- Utilizing the GLP-1 signaling system to treat diabetes: sorting through the pharmacologic approachesDAVID A D'ALESSIO
University of Cincinnati, Division of Endocrinology Metabolism, ML 0547, Vontz Center, 3125 Eden Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45220 0547, USA
Curr Diab Rep 5:346-52. 2005..These two new classes of drugs both enhance GLP-1 signaling but differ in several key characteristics that may lead to distinct roles in the treatment of diabetic patients...
- Treatment with the dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor vildagliptin improves fasting islet-cell function in subjects with type 2 diabetesDAVID A D'ALESSIO
University of Cincinnati, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, ML 0547, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:81-8. 2009..Objective: The objective of the study was to examine the effects of DPP-4 inhibition on fasting islet function...
- The role of dysregulated glucagon secretion in type 2 diabetesD D'ALESSIO
Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Diabetes, University of Cincinnati and Cincinnati VA Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0547, USA
Diabetes Obes Metab 13:126-32. 2011....
- Differential effects of acute and extended infusions of glucagon-like peptide-1 on first- and second-phase insulin secretion in diabetic and nondiabetic humansShaista Quddusi
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Diabetes Care 26:791-8. 2003....
- Effects of GLP-1-(7-36)NH2, GLP-1-(7-37), and GLP-1- (9-36)NH2 on intravenous glucose tolerance and glucose-induced insulin secretion in healthy humansTorsten P Vahl
Division of Endocrinology, University of Cincinnati, Ohio 45267, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:1772-9. 2003..Based on these results we conclude that GLP-1-(9-36)NH(2) does not regulate insulin release or glucose metabolism in healthy humans...
- Glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) receptors expressed on nerve terminals in the portal vein mediate the effects of endogenous GLP-1 on glucose tolerance in ratsTorsten P Vahl
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Cincinnati, 2170 East Galbraith Road, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267, USA
Endocrinology 148:4965-73. 2007..These data are consistent with an important component of neural mediation of GLP-1 action...
- Regulation of islet hormone release and gastric emptying by endogenous glucagon-like peptide 1 after glucose ingestionMarzieh Salehi
Vontz Center for Molecular Studies, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, 3125 Eden Avenue, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:4909-16. 2008....
- Comparative analysis of ACTH and corticosterone sampling methods in ratsTorsten P Vahl
Dept of Internal Medicine, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Univ of Cincinnati, 2170 E Galbraith Rd, Bldg 43, Rm 315, Cincinnati, OH 45237, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 289:E823-8. 2005..However, collection of blood under pentobarbital sodium or CO2 anesthesia is likely to confound the results of stress studies when ACTH is an important endpoint...
- Weight loss through ileal transposition is accompanied by increased ileal hormone secretion and synthesis in ratsApril D Strader
Genome Research Institute, Department of Psychiatry, University of Cincinnati, 2071 E Galbraith Rd, Reading, OH 45237, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 288:E447-53. 2005..These findings support the importance of evaluating the contribution of gastrointestinal hormones to the weight loss seen with bariatric surgery...
- Gut peptides in the treatment of diabetes mellitusTorsten P Vahl
University of Cincinnati, Department of Internal Medicine, OH 45220 0547, USA
Expert Opin Investig Drugs 13:177-88. 2004..This review focuses on the physiology of GLP-1 and GIP and the advances that have been made thus far in developing treatments based on these physiological incretins for Type 2 diabetes...
- Meal-anticipatory glucagon-like peptide-1 secretion in ratsTorsten P Vahl
Department of Psychiatry, University of Cincinnati, 2170 East Galbraith Road, Cincinnati, Ohio 45237, USA
Endocrinology 151:569-75. 2010..These findings document for the first time a cephalic increase of plasma GLP-1 and suggest that it functions to facilitate consumption of a large meal...
- The role of CNS glucagon-like peptide-1 (7-36) amide receptors in mediating the visceral illness effects of lithium chlorideR J Seeley
Department of Psychiatry, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267 0559, USA
J Neurosci 20:1616-21. 2000..The same dose of GLP-1 receptor antagonist did not reverse the LiCl-induced reduction in NaCl intake. The data indicate a role for GLP-1 receptors in the CNS pathway that mediates some of the effects of visceral illness...
- Effects of a fixed meal pattern on ghrelin secretion: evidence for a learned response independent of nutrient statusDeborah L Drazen
Department of Psychiatry, Genome Research Institute, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267, USA
Endocrinology 147:23-30. 2006..Together, these data are consistent with a role for ghrelin in the regulation of anticipatory processes involved in food intake and nutrient disposition...
- Thrittene, homologous with somatostatin-28((1-13)), is a novel peptide in mammalian gut and circulationJohn W Ensinck
Division of Metabolism, Endocrinology, and Nutrition, Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle 98195, USA
Endocrinology 143:2599-609. 2002..Its localization in both GI endocrine cells and gut neurons suggests that thrittene may function as both a hormone and neurotransmitter...
- CNS glucagon-like peptide-1 receptors mediate endocrine and anxiety responses to interoceptive and psychogenic stressorsKimberly P Kinzig
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
J Neurosci 23:6163-70. 2003..Although diverse neural circuits must necessarily process disparate stressors, the current data implicate a role for the GLP-1 system as a critical mediator of multiple stress responses...