Affiliation: University of Miami
- RNA-Seq reveals complex genetic response to Deepwater Horizon oil release in Fundulus grandisTzintzuni I Garcia
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Texas State University, 601 University Drive, San Marcos, TX 78666 4616, USA
BMC Genomics 13:474. 2012..This application of RNA-Seq to a non-model, wild, and ecologically significant organism is an important evaluation of the technology to quickly assess similar events in the future...
- Variation in tissue-specific gene expression among natural populationsAndrew Whitehead
Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, University of Miami, 4600 Rickenbacker Causeway, Miami, FL 33149, USA
Genome Biol 6:R13. 2005..To address this we examined the expression of a selected suite of 192 metabolic genes in brain, heart and liver in three populations of the teleost fish Fundulus heteroclitus using a highly replicated experimental design...
- FunnyBase: a systems level functional annotation of Fundulus ESTs for the analysis of gene expressionJustin E Paschall
Division of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, 5100 Rockhill Rd, University of Missouri, Kansas City 64110, USA
BMC Genomics 5:96. 2004..This type of "systems-level" analysis is critical to the understanding of patterns of gene expression that underlie biological processes...
- The biological importance of measuring individual variationDouglas L Crawford
Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences, Marine Biology and Fisheries, 4600 Rickenbacker Causeway, Miami, FL 33149, USA
J Exp Biol 210:1613-21. 2007..These data suggest that measures of mRNA expression are meaningful, yet there is a complexity in how gene expression is related to physiological processes...
- Adaptation versus allometry: population and body mass effects on hypoxic metabolism in Fundulus grandisMeredith V Everett
Marine Biology and Fisheries, Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, University of Miami, Miami, Florida 33149 1098, USA
Physiol Biochem Zool 83:182-90. 2010..These findings suggest that an increase in body size is a useful strategy to minimize the effect of hypoxia...
- The effect of genetic and environmental variation on metabolic gene expressionCinda P Scott
Department of Marine Biology and Fisheries, Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, University of Miami, 4600 Rickenbacker Causeway, Miami, FL 33149, USA
Mol Ecol 18:2832-43. 2009....
- Natural variation in cardiac metabolism and gene expression in Fundulus heteroclitusMarjorie F Oleksiak
Department of Environmental and Molecular Toxicology, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina 27695 7633, USA
Nat Genet 37:67-72. 2005..These data suggest that variation in physiological performance is related to the subtle variation in gene expression and that this relationship differs among individuals...
- Rapid transcriptome characterization for a nonmodel organism using 454 pyrosequencingJ Cristobal Vera
Department of Biology, 208 Mueller Laboratory, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Mol Ecol 17:1636-47. 2008..This development narrows the gap between approaches based on model organisms with rich genetic resources vs. species that are most tractable for ecological and evolutionary studies...
- Variation within and among species in gene expression: raw material for evolutionAndrew Whitehead
Louisiana State University, 202 Life Sciences Bldg Baton Rouge, LA 70803, USA
Mol Ecol 15:1197-211. 2006....
- Neutral and adaptive variation in gene expressionAndrew Whitehead
Department of Biological Sciences, Louisiana State University, 202 Life Sciences Building, Baton Rouge, LA 70803, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:5425-30. 2006..These patterns of biological variation in expression may reflect important physiological or ecological functions...
- Fish as models for environmental genomicsAndrew R Cossins
Andrew R Cossins is at the Liverpool Microarray Facility and Centre for BioArray Innovation, School of Biological Sciences, University of Liverpool, Crown Street, Liverpool L69 7ZB, United Kingdom
Nat Rev Genet 6:324-33. 2005..The range of fish species for which genomic resources are available is increasing, but will require significant further expansion for the optimal application of fish environmental genomics...
- Variation in gene expression within and among natural populationsMarjorie F Oleksiak
School of Biological Sciences, 5007 Rockhill Road, University of Missouri Kansas City, Kansas City, Missouri 64110 2499, USA
Nat Genet 32:261-6. 2002..These data suggest that substantial natural variation exists in gene expression and that this quantitative variation is important in evolution...
- Evolution of Sp transcription factorsKevin J Kolell
Division of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, School of Biological Science, University of Missouri Kansas City
Mol Biol Evol 19:216-22. 2002..These results suggest that these different domains have different evolutionary histories...
- Evolutionary & Functional Analysis of Microarray DataDouglas Crawford; Fiscal Year: 2005..This evolutionary approach provides the means to distinguish random variation from adaptively important variation and will lead to the discovery of patterns of mRNA expression that affect cardiac physiology. ..