Affiliation: University of California
- Ischemic heart disease mortality and PM(3.5) in a cohort of autoworkersSadie Costello
Environmental Health Science, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Am J Ind Med 56:317-25. 2013..Increased risk of ischemic heart disease (IHD) has been associated with particulate matter (PM) from air pollution. Yet evidence of increased risk associated with higher workplace exposures is scant...
- Parkinson's disease and residential exposure to maneb and paraquat from agricultural applications in the central valley of CaliforniaSadie Costello
Department of Environmental Health Sciences, University of California, Berkeley, 94720 7360, USA
Am J Epidemiol 169:919-26. 2009..17, 95% CI: 1.15, 15.16) in 1974-1989. This study provides evidence that exposure to a combination of maneb and paraquat increases PD risk, particularly in younger subjects and/or when exposure occurs at younger ages...
- Familial associations of Alzheimer disease and essential tremor with Parkinson diseaseS Costello
University of California, Los Angeles, Schools of Public Health and Medicine, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Eur J Neurol 17:871-8. 2010....
- Parkinson's disease risk from ambient exposure to pesticidesAnthony Wang
Epidemiology, UCLA School of Public Health, Box 951772, 650 Charles E Young Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1772, USA
Eur J Epidemiol 26:547-55. 2011..Our results suggest that pesticides affecting different mechanisms that contribute to dopaminergic neuron death may act together to increase the risk of PD considerably...
- Distinguishing the common components of oil- and water-based metalworking fluids for assessment of cancer incidence risk in autoworkersMelissa C Friesen
Environmental Health Sciences, University of California Berkeley, Berkeley, California 94720 7360, USA
Am J Ind Med 54:450-60. 2011..We derived constituent-based metrics of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), water-based MWF, biocides, and nitrosamines to account for this overlap and examined their relations with cancer incidence...
- Metalworking fluids and malignant melanoma in autoworkersSadie Costello
Department of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Epidemiology 22:90-7. 2011..We examined the incidence of malignant melanoma in a study of autoworkers...
- Paraoxonase 1, agricultural organophosphate exposure, and Parkinson diseaseAngelika D Manthripragada
Department of Epidemiology, UCLA School of Public Health, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Epidemiology 21:87-94. 2010..Susceptibility to pesticides may be modified by genetic variants of xenobiotic enzymes, such as paraoxonase, that play a role in metabolizing some organophosphates...
- Dopamine transporter genetic variants and pesticides in Parkinson's diseaseBeate R Ritz
Department of Epidemiology, Center for Occupational and Environmental Health, UCLA School of Public Health, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90095 1772, USA
Environ Health Perspect 117:964-9. 2009..Research suggests that independent and joint effects of genetic variability in the dopamine transporter (DAT) locus and pesticides may influence Parkinson's disease (PD) risk...
- Epidemiologic challenges for studies of occupational exposure to engineered nanoparticles; a commentaryEllen A Eisen
Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University of California Berkeley, Berkeley, California 94720 7360, USA
J Occup Environ Med 53:S57-61. 2011..Identify most likely health effects of occupational exposure to engineered nanoparticles (ENP). Recommend analytic approaches to address epidemiologic challenges...
- Risk of cervical cancer among female autoworkers exposed to metalworking fluidsNicole Betenia
Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University of California Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720 7360, USA
Scand J Work Environ Health 38:78-83. 2012..We examined cervical cancer in relation to occupational exposure to metalworking fluids (MWF), which are complex mixtures containing several known carcinogens...
- Geographic model and biomarker-derived measures of pesticide exposure and Parkinson's diseaseBeate Ritz
UCLA School of Public Health, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1772, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1076:378-87. 2006..Our environmental GIS-PUR-based approach appears to provide a valid model for assessing residential exposures to agricultural pesticides...
- Quantitative exposure to metalworking fluids and bladder cancer incidence in a cohort of autoworkersMelissa C Friesen
Environmental Health Sciences Division, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720 7360, USA
Am J Epidemiol 169:1471-8. 2009..The quantitative relation with straight MWFs strengthens the evidence for mineral oils as a bladder carcinogen...