Valire Carr Copeland
Affiliation: University of Pittsburgh
- African Americans: disparities in health care access and utilizationValire Carr Copeland
School of Social Work and Department of Behavioral and Community Health Sciences, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, PA 15260, USA
Health Soc Work 30:265-70. 2005
- Barriers to mental health treatment services for low-income African American women whose children receive behavioral health services: an ethnographic investigationValire Carr Copeland
School of Social Work, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Soc Work Public Health 26:78-95. 2011..These factors have a negative influence on help seeking that should be considered for eliminating disparities in access to and utilization of mental health services...
- Barriers to treatment and culturally endorsed coping strategies among depressed African-American older adultsKyaien O Conner
Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Aging Ment Health 14:971-83. 2010..In addition, we examined how coping strategies are utilized by African-American elders who choose not to seek professional mental health services...
- Reconceptualizing access: a cultural competence approach to improving the mental health of African American womenValire Carr Copeland
School of Social Work, 2211 Cathedral of Learning, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15260, USA
Soc Work Public Health 23:35-58. 2007....
- Healthy start program participation: the consumers' perspectiveChristine E Ley
Graduate School of Public Health, Department of Behavioral and Community Health Sciences, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Soc Work Public Health 26:17-34. 2011....
- Mental health treatment seeking among older adults with depression: the impact of stigma and raceKyaien O Conner
Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 18:531-43. 2010....
- Patient satisfaction: African American women's views of the patient-doctor relationshipValire Carr Copeland
University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15260, USA
J Health Soc Policy 17:35-48. 2003..During this period of rapid change in the health care system, such information about how individuals of diverse backgrounds perceive the health care system is critical to ensure broad access and reduce disparities in utilization...
- Community-based perinatal depression services for African American women: the healthy start modelChristine E Ley
Department of Behavioral and Community Health Sciences, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
Soc Work Public Health 24:568-83. 2009..Pittsburgh/Allegheny and Fayette County Healthy Start, Inc., offers a case example of the Healthy Start model to address depression...
- Why lower income mothers do not engage with the formal mental health care system: perceived barriers to careCarol M Anderson
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Qual Health Res 16:926-43. 2006..The authors discuss the implications of these and other key themes for engaging lower income mothers and their children...
- Implications of type 2 diabetes on adolescent reproductive health risk: an expert modelJulie S Downs
Carnegie Mellon University, SDS PH 208, Pittsburgh, PA 15213 3890, USA
Diabetes Educ 36:911-9. 2010..The purpose of this article was to summarize scientific knowledge from an expert panel on reproductive health among adolescents with type 2 diabetes (T2D)...