Katherine Anne Comtois
Affiliation: University of Washington
- Collaborative assessment and management of suicidality (CAMS): feasibility trial for next-day appointment servicesKatherine Anne Comtois
University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Depress Anxiety 28:963-72. 2011....
- A review of interventions to reduce the prevalence of parasuicideKatherine Anne Comtois
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington School of Medicine, Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, Washington 98104, USA
Psychiatr Serv 53:1138-44. 2002..The author reviewed studies of treatments for parasuicide in order to assist health services planners, administrators, and clinicians develop and improve interventions for parasuicide and decrease its prevalence...
- Factors associated with high use of public mental health services by persons with borderline personality disorderKatherine Anne Comtois
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, 98195, USA
Psychiatr Serv 54:1149-54. 2003..The research presented here was a pilot study to identify clinical factors associated with high use (as opposed to lower use) of inpatient psychiatric services by persons with borderline personality disorder...
- Dual diagnosis: impact of family historyKatherine Anne Comtois
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Am J Addict 14:291-9. 2005..Differences in means represent low to very low substance abuse severity for those without family history and low to medium severity for those with family history. The clinical implications are discussed...
- Recovery from disability for individuals with borderline personality disorder: a feasibility trial of DBT-ACESKatherine Anne Comtois
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington, Harborview Medical Center, 325 9th Ave, Box 359911, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Psychiatr Serv 61:1106-11. 2010..This study examined the feasibility of DBT-Accepting the Challenges of Exiting the System (DBT-ACES), a follow-up to standard DBT (SDBT)...
- Two-year randomized controlled trial and follow-up of dialectical behavior therapy vs therapy by experts for suicidal behaviors and borderline personality disorderMarsha M Linehan
Behavioral Research and Therapy Clinics, Department of Psychology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 1525, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 63:757-66. 2006..Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) is a treatment for suicidal behavior and borderline personality disorder with well-documented efficacy...
- Substance-induced suicidal admissions to an acute psychiatric service: characteristics and outcomesRichard K Ries
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
J Subst Abuse Treat 34:72-9. 2008....
- Identifying outpatients with entrenched suicidal ideation following hospitalizationStephen S O'Connor
Harborview Injury Prevention and Research Center, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Suicide Life Threat Behav 42:173-84. 2012..Application of the suicidal ambivalence index may help administrators identify patients who require more intensive clinical services to resolve their suicidal ideation...
- Clinicians' assessments of bipolar disorder and substance abuse as predictors of suicidal behavior in acutely hospitalized psychiatric inpatientsKatherine Anne Comtois
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington 98104, USA
Biol Psychiatry 56:757-63. 2004..To further explore the relationships of substance abuse, suicide, and bipolarity as they present in clinical practice, we analyzed standardized clinical data from a large acute psychiatric inpatient service...
- Validation of the co-occurring disorder quadrant modelMichael G McDonell
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington School of Medicine, Box 359911, Harborview Medical Center, 325 Ninth Ave, Seattle, WA 98104 2499, USA
J Psychoactive Drugs 44:266-73. 2012..Initial and follow-up quadrant placement was significantly correlated suggesting stability of the quadrant model. Data support the validity of the quadrant model for application in clinical and administrative purposes...
- Suicide Attempt Self-Injury Interview (SASII): development, reliability, and validity of a scale to assess suicide attempts and intentional self-injuryMarsha M Linehan
Department of Psychology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 3515, USA
Psychol Assess 18:303-12. 2006..The SASII was found to have very good interrater reliability and adequate validity...
- Dialectical behavior therapy versus comprehensive validation therapy plus 12-step for the treatment of opioid dependent women meeting criteria for borderline personality disorderMarsha M Linehan
Behavioral Research and Therapy Clinics, Department of Psychology, University of Washington, Box 351525, Seattle, WA 98195 1525, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 67:13-26. 2002..A noteworthy secondary finding was that DBT participants were significantly more accurate in their self-report of opiate use than were those assigned to CVT + 12S...
- Psychosocial treatments of suicidal behaviors: a practice-friendly reviewKatherine Anne Comtois
Department of Psychology, Behavioral Research and Therapy Clinics, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Clin Psychol 62:161-70. 2006..These are critical steps for clinical psychology and psychotherapists to take in their role in suicide prevention...
- Global Appraisal of Individual Needs Short Screener (GSS): psychometric properties and performance as a screening measure in adolescentsMichael G McDonell
Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington, USA
Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 35:157-60. 2009..Psychiatric disorder subscales performed less well. The discussion focuses on the strengths and potential weaknesses of use of the GSS and its potential utility in other populations...
- Untreated posttraumatic stress among persons with severe mental illness despite marked trauma and symptomatologyChloe E Chessen
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Psychiatr Serv 62:1201-6. 2011..The study examined the degree to which trauma was addressed among clients being treated for a severe mental illness and a substance use disorder at a community mental health center...
- Use of case manager ratings and weekly urine toxicology tests among outpatients with dual diagnosesRichard K Ries
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington, Harborview Mental Health Services, Seattle 98104, USA
Psychiatr Serv 53:764-6. 2002..These findings have implications for monitoring patients with dual diagnoses and provide insight into the accuracy of case manager ratings...
- Comparing the diagnosis of PTSD when assessing worst versus multiple traumatic events in a chronically mentally ill sampleTracy L Simpson
VA Puget Sound Health Care System, Mental Health Service, Seattle, WA, USA
J Trauma Stress 24:361-4. 2011..2% when considering all traumas. Although preliminary, these results suggest that linking PTSD symptoms to a single traumatic event excludes a meaningful number of cases who are otherwise indistinguishable based on symptom profile...
- Reasons for suicide attempts and nonsuicidal self-injury in women with borderline personality disorderMilton Z Brown
Department of Psychology, University of Washington, Seattle 98195 1525, USA
J Abnorm Psychol 111:198-202. 2002..Almost all participants reported that both types of parasuicide were intended to relieve negative emotions. It is likely that suicidal and nonsuicidal parasuicide have multiple intents and functions...
- The impact of experiential avoidance on the reduction of depression in treatment for borderline personality disorderMatthias Berking
University of Washington, Department of Psychology, BRTC, Box 351525, Seattle, WA 98195 1525, USA
Behav Res Ther 47:663-70. 2009..Although current treatments for BPD are effective in reducing depression, the average post-treatment level of depression remains high...
- Practice of dialectical behavior therapy after psychiatry residencyJohn T Frederick
University of Washington, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Harborview Medical Center, 325 9th Ave, Box 359911, Seattle, WA 98104 2499, USA
Acad Psychiatry 30:63-8. 2006..The University of Washington (UW) psychiatry residency program attempted to determine how participation in a dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) training program influenced the practice of its graduates...
- Risky assessments: participant suicidality and distress associated with research assessments in a treatment study of suicidal behaviorSarah K Reynolds
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Department of Psychiatry and Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, 3811 O Hara Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Suicide Life Threat Behav 36:19-34. 2006..Overall, our findings indicate that research with highly suicidal individuals can be done safely with the use of well-trained assessors and an appropriate crisis management protocol...