Affiliation: University of Hawaii
- Effects of antiretroviral therapy on autonomic function in early HIV infection: a preliminary reportDominic Chow
John A Burns School of Medicine JABSOM, University of Hawaii, HI, USA
Int J Med Sci 9:397-405. 2012..A prospective study was conducted in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-infected patients as they undergo alterations in their antiretroviral therapy (ART) to determine the effect of ART on autonomic function...
- Short-term effects of extended-release niacin on endothelial function in HIV-infected patients on stable antiretroviral therapyDominic C Chow
Hawaii Center for AIDS, University of Hawaii John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, Hawaii 96816, USA
AIDS 24:1019-23. 2010..To assess the short-term effects of extended-release niacin (ERN) on endothelial function in HIV-infected patients with low high-density lipoprotein-cholesterol (HDL-c) levels...
- Elevated blood pressure in HIV-infected individuals receiving highly active antiretroviral therapyDominic C Chow
Hawaii AIDS Clinical Research Program, Leahi Hospital, 3675 Kilauea Avenue, 5th Floor, Honolulu, Hawaii 98616, USA
HIV Clin Trials 4:411-6. 2003..We examined the effects of antiretroviral regimens on blood pressure (BP)...
- Cardiovagal autonomic dysfunction in relation to HIV-associated lipodystrophyDominic C Chow
Hawaii AIDS Clinical Research Program, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Internal Medicine, Honolulu, Hawaii 96816, USA
HIV Clin Trials 7:16-23. 2006..We examined the autonomic function among HIV-infected patients with LD compared to HIV-infected patients without LD (non-LD) and HIV-negative controls (controls)...
- Hansen's disease with HIV: a case of immune reconstitution diseaseDominic Chow
Department of Medicine, John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawai i at Manoa, Honolulu, HI 96813, USA
Hawaii Med J 68:27-9. 2009..leprae presenting as an exacerbation of his Hansen's Disease where the patient's skin lesions progressed from borderline tuberculoid to lepromatous leprosy following ART administration...
- Short-term ezetimibe is well tolerated and effective in combination with statin therapy to treat elevated LDL cholesterol in HIV-infected patientsDominic Chow
University of Hawaii, John A Burns School of Medicine, Hawaii AIDS Clinical Research Program, 3675 Kilauea Avenue, 5th Floor, Young Building, Honolulu, HI 96816, USA
AIDS 23:2133-41. 2009..Ezetimibe inhibits intestinal absorption of cholesterol...
- Antiretroviral monocyte efficacy score linked to cognitive impairment in HIVCecilia M Shikuma
Hawaii Center for AIDS, Department of Medicine, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI, USA
Antivir Ther 17:1233-42. 2012..We hypothesized that the continued existence of neurocognitive impairment (NCI) despite potent antiretroviral (ARV) therapy is mediated by the inability of such therapy to control this monocyte/macrophage reservoir...
- Peripheral blood HIV DNA is associated with atrophy of cerebellar and subcortical gray matterKalpana J Kallianpur
Department of Medicine, Hawaii Center for AIDS, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI, USA
Neurology 80:1792-9. 2013..We evaluated regional brain volumes and cerebral metabolite levels as correlates of HIV DNA in peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs)...
- The effects of extended release niacin on lipoprotein sub-particle concentrations in HIV-infected patientsChunrong Lin
John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawai i, Honolulu, HI, USA
Hawaii J Med Public Health 72:123-7. 2013..This pilot study demonstrates that ERN therapy in HIV-infected patients with low HDL is safe and effective in improving the lipoprotein profile in these patients. ..
- Vitamin D levels and markers of arterial dysfunction in HIVCecilia M Shikuma
University of Hawaii, Honolulu, Hawaii 96816, USA
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 28:793-7. 2012..36). Lower vitamin D levels are associated with evidence of subclinical arterial dysfunction in HIV-infected individuals. The significance of these findings warrants further investigation...
- HIV-associated anal dysplasia: experience from a multiethnic-HIV clinic in HawaiiAhoora Payam
Department of Medicine, University of Hawaii John A Burns School of Medicine, 3675 Kilauea Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96816, USA
J Health Care Poor Underserved 22:16-22. 2011..To assess the proportion as well as predictors of anal dysplasia in HIV-infected Asian/Pacific Islanders...
- Validation of the human activity profile in HIV-positive individuals on HAARTRonald K Hetzler
Department of Kinesiology and Rehabilitation Science, College of Education, University of Hawaii Manoa, Honolulu, Hawaii 96822, USA
HIV Clin Trials 10:254-60. 2009..The HAP is a 94-item questionnaire for estimating functional capacity based on estimated metabolic equivalents for activities of daily living...
- Mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation protein levels in peripheral blood mononuclear cells correlate with levels in subcutaneous adipose tissue within samples differing by HIV and lipoatrophy statusCecilia M Shikuma
Hawaii AIDS Clinical Research Program, John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii Manoa, Honolulu, Hawaii 96816, USA
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 24:1255-62. 2008..We conclude that CI and CIV levels in PBMCs correlate to their respective levels in fat and may have utility as surrogate markers of mitochondrial dysfunction in lipoatrophy...
- Correlation of single photon emission computed tomography parameters as a noninvasive alternative to liver biopsies in assessing liver involvement in the setting of HIV and hepatitis C virus coinfection: a multicenter trial of the Adult AIDS Clinical TriaBruce Shiramizu
University of Hawaii, Honolulu, Hawaii 96816, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 33:329-35. 2003..A larger study is needed to demonstrate whether SPECT parameters alone or with other markers can provide information on fibrosis with the clinical significance obtained through liver biopsy...
- Risk factors for community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus cellulitis--and the value of recognitionThana Khawcharoenporn
John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813, USA
Hawaii Med J 69:232-6. 2010..To identify the risk factors for community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (CA-MRSA) cellulitis...