Genomes and Genes
Neil C Chi
Affiliation: University of California
- Cardiac conduction is required to preserve cardiac chamber morphologyNeil C Chi
Departments of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Cardiovascular Research Institute, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94158, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:14662-7. 2010..Overall, these in vivo studies indicate that cardiac electrical forces are required to preserve cardiac chamber morphology and may act as a key epigenetic factor in cardiac remodeling...
- Haematopoietic stem cells derive directly from aortic endothelium during developmentJulien Y Bertrand
Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093 0380, USA
Nature 464:108-11. 2010..Finally, using a permanent lineage tracing strategy, we demonstrate that the HSCs generated from haemogenic endothelium are the lineal founders of the adult haematopoietic system...
- Foxn4 directly regulates tbx2b expression and atrioventricular canal formationNeil C Chi
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Programs in Developmental Biology, Genetics and Human Genetics, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94158, USA
Genes Dev 22:734-9. 2008..sli/foxn4 is expressed in the AV canal, and its encoded product binds to a highly conserved tbx2 enhancer domain that contains Foxn4- and T-box-binding sites, both necessary to regulate tbx2b expression in the AV canal...
- Iroquois homeobox gene 3 establishes fast conduction in the cardiac His-Purkinje networkShan Shan Zhang
Gladstone Institute of Cardiovascular Disease, San Francisco, CA 94158, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:13576-81. 2011..Irx3 directly represses Cx43 transcription and indirectly activates Cx40 transcription. Our results reveal a critical role for Irx3 in the precise regulation of intercellular gap junction coupling and impulse propagation in the heart...
- Limited forward trafficking of connexin 43 reduces cell-cell coupling in stressed human and mouse myocardiumJames W Smyth
Cardiovascular Research Institute, Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, 505 Parnassus Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
J Clin Invest 120:266-79. 2010..We anticipate that protecting the microtubule-based forward delivery apparatus of connexons could improve cell-cell coupling and reduce ischemia-related cardiac arrhythmias...
- Combinatorial regulation of endothelial gene expression by ets and forkhead transcription factorsSarah De Val
Cardiovascular Research Institute, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94158 2517, USA
Cell 135:1053-64. 2008..Finally, we show that FOX:ETS motifs are present in many known endothelial-specific enhancers and that this motif is an efficient predictor of endothelial enhancers in the human genome...
- BIN1 is reduced and Cav1.2 trafficking is impaired in human failing cardiomyocytesTing Ting Hong
Cardiovascular Research Institute, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Heart Rhythm 9:812-20. 2012..2 channels at cardiac T tubules. Bridging integrator 1 (BIN1) is a membrane scaffolding protein that causes Cav1.2 to traffic to T tubules in healthy hearts. The mechanisms of Cav1.2 trafficking in heart failure are not known...
- Zebrafish model for human long QT syndromeRima Arnaout
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Programs in Developmental Biology, Genetics, and Human Genetics, Cardiovascular Research Institute, University of California, 1550 Fourth Street, San Francisco, CA 94158, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:11316-21. 2007..Our findings provide insight into the pathogenesis of homozygous kcnh2 mutations and expand the use of zebrafish mutants as a model system to study human arrhythmias...
- A transgene-assisted genetic screen identifies essential regulators of vascular development in vertebrate embryosSuk Won Jin
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Genetics and Human Genetics, and Cardiovascular Research Institute, University of California San Francisco, CA 94158, USA
Dev Biol 307:29-42. 2007..The analysis of the newly defined loci should lead to a greater understanding of vascular development and possibly provide new drug targets to treat the numerous pathologies associated with dysregulated blood vessel growth...
- Zebrafish models in cardiac development and congenital heart birth defectsShu Tu
Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiology, University of California, San Diego, CA 92093 0613J, USA
Differentiation 84:4-16. 2012....
- Loss of Dnmt1 catalytic activity reveals multiple roles for DNA methylation during pancreas development and regenerationRyan M Anderson
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Programs in Developmental Biology, Genetics, and Human Genetics, Diabetes Center, and Liver Center, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94158 2324, USA
Dev Biol 334:213-23. 2009..In addition, Dnmt1 may influence the differentiation of pancreatic beta cell progenitors or the reprogramming of cells toward the pancreatic beta cell fate...
- Targeting neural circuitry in zebrafish using GAL4 enhancer trappingEthan K Scott
Department of Physiology, University of California, San Francisco, California 94158, USA
Nat Methods 4:323-6. 2007..Through targeted photoconversion of UAS-driven Kaede and variegated expression of UAS-driven GFP in single cells, we begin to characterize the cellular components of labeled circuits...
- Molecular determinants of responses to myocardial ischemia/reperfusion injury: focus on hypoxia-inducible and heat shock factorsNeil C Chi
Cardiology Section, Medical Service, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, University of California, 4150 Clement St, San Francisco, CA 94121, USA
Cardiovasc Res 61:437-47. 2004..Emphasis is placed on new mechanisms of action that regulate HIF-1alpha, HSF, and heat shock proteins as key responses to hypoxia and ischemia, and possible approaches to therapy based on these data are discussed...