L D Chew
Affiliation: University of Washington
- The Single Item Literacy Screener: evaluation of a brief instrument to identify limited reading abilityNancy S Morris
College of Nursing and Health Sciences, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont, USA
BMC Fam Pract 7:21. 2006..Our objective was to assess the diagnostic accuracy of the Single Item Literacy Screener (SILS) to identify limited reading ability, one component of health literacy, as measured by the S-TOFHLA...
- Validation of screening questions for limited health literacy in a large VA outpatient populationLisa D Chew
Department of Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Washington, Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, WA, USA
J Gen Intern Med 23:561-6. 2008..We evaluated and compared the performance of 3 health literacy screening questions for detecting patients with inadequate or marginal health literacy in a large VA population...
- A physician survey of the effect of drug sample availability on physicians' behaviorL D Chew
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle 98104, USA
J Gen Intern Med 15:478-83. 2000....
- Association between alcohol consumption and diabetes preventive practicesLisa D Chew
VA Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle, WA, USA
Fam Med 37:589-94. 2005..Little is known about the effect of alcohol consumption on the quality of care among patients with diabetes. We evaluated the association between alcohol consumption and diabetes preventive practices...
- Brief questions to identify patients with inadequate health literacyLisa D Chew
Health Services Research and Development Center of Excellence, VA Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Fam Med 36:588-94. 2004..No practical method for identifying patients with low heath literacy exists. We sought to develop screening questions for identifying patients with inadequate or marginal health literacy...
- Junior faculty's perspectives on mentoringLisa D Chew
Health Services Research and Development Center of Excellence, VA Puget Sound Health Care System and Department of Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Acad Med 78:652. 2003..The prevalence and characteristics of mentorship among junior faculty in clinician-scientist and clinician-educator tracks were evaluated. Comprehensive improvement strategies are needed...
- Glycemic and lipid control among patients with diabetes at six U.S. public hospitalsLisa D Chew
Department of Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Washington Harborview Medical Center, 325 9th Avenue, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
J Health Care Poor Underserved 19:1060-75. 2008..While public hospital systems care for large numbers of socioeconomically vulnerable and ethnically diverse populations who have diabetes, little is known about the quality of diabetes care provided in these sites...
- A case-based approach to outpatient evaluation and management service codingThomas O Staiger
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Postgrad Med 120:101-6. 2008..Because physicians must often choose between billing codes 99213 and 99214 for a visit by an established patient, it will particularly focus on the minimum documentation needed to bill a 99214 code...
- The impact of low health literacy on surgical practiceLisa D Chew
VA Puget Sound Health Care System, Health Services Research and Development S 152, 1660 S Columbian Way, Seattle, WA 98108, USA
Am J Surg 188:250-3. 2004..We sought to determine the prevalence of low health literacy (LHL) among patients in a preoperative clinic, the characteristics associated with LHL, and the association between LHL and adherence to preoperative instructions...
- Preferences for self-management support: findings from a survey of diabetes patients in safety-net health systemsUrmimala Sarkar
Department of Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, United States
Patient Educ Couns 70:102-10. 2008..We explored the possible role of a perceived communication need in influencing interest in self-management support...