James D Cherry
Affiliation: University of California
- Long-term clinical effectiveness of an acellular pertussis component vaccine and a whole cell pertussis component vaccineSiegfried Lugauer
University Children's Hospital, Erlangen, Germany
Eur J Pediatr 161:142-6. 2002..Calculated efficacy for the 6-year follow-up period based upon physician diagnosed pertussis was 89% (95% CI=79 94) for DTaP and was 92% (95% CI=84-96) for DTP. CONCLUSION: no evidence of decreasing efficacy over time was noted...
- The epidemiology of pertussis: a comparison of the epidemiology of the disease pertussis with the epidemiology of Bordetella pertussis infectionJames D Cherry
Department of Pediatrics, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1752, USA
Pediatrics 115:1422-7. 2005..It is suggested that a universal program of adolescent and adult boosters would decrease the circulation of B pertussis in these age groups and possibly could lead to the elimination of the organism from the population...
- Defining pertussis epidemiology: clinical, microbiologic and serologic perspectivesJames D Cherry
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 24:S25-34. 2005..In particular, polymerase chain reaction and single serum serology are 2 techniques that should be more widely adopted...
- Pertussis vaccines for adolescents and adultsJames D Cherry
Department of Pediatrics, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1752, USA
Pediatrics 116:755-6. 2005
- Patterns of Bordetella parapertussis respiratory illnesses: 2008-2010James D Cherry
Pediatric Infectious Diseases, Mattel Children s Hospital UCLA, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Clin Infect Dis 54:534-7. 2012..Of the positive samples, 13.99% were identified as B. parapertussis. It was concluded that B. parapertussis infections are more common than previously realized and contribute to cases thought to be vaccine failures...
- Clinical definitions of pertussis: Summary of a Global Pertussis Initiative roundtable meeting, February 2011James D Cherry
Department of Pediatrics, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1752, USA
Clin Infect Dis 54:1756-64. 2012..Determination of their utility and their sensitivity and/or specificity versus existing case definitions is required...
- Evidence of Bordetella pertussis infection in vaccinated 1-year-old Danish childrenMarie Louise von Linstow
Department of Pediatrics, Hvidovre Hospital, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Eur J Pediatr 169:1119-22. 2010..pertussis infection. A prospective immunization study comparing a multi-component vaccine with the present monocomponent PT toxoid vaccine should be undertaken...
- Prevalence of antibody to Bordetella pertussis antigens in serum specimens obtained from 1793 adolescents and adultsJames D Cherry
University of CaliforniaLos Angeles Center for Vaccine Research, Research and Education Institute, Harbor UCLA Medical Center, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Torrance, USA
Clin Infect Dis 39:1715-8. 2004..There was minimal variation in antibody prevalence with respect to geographic area, age, sex, or race...
- State of the evidence for standard-of-care treatments for croup: are we where we need to be?James D Cherry
Department of Pediatrics, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, University of California Los Angeles, 10833 Le Conte Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1752, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 24:S198-202, discussion S201. 2005..Croup is a term that groups several different clinical syndromes with inspiratory stridor. The failure to delineate the specific syndromes has led to suboptimal treatment in many instances...
- Clinical practice. CroupJames D Cherry
Division of Infectious Diseases, Mattel Children's Hospital UCLA, and the Department of Pediatrics, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1752, USA
N Engl J Med 358:384-91. 2008
- Antibody response patterns to Bordetella pertussis antigens in vaccinated (primed) and unvaccinated (unprimed) young children with pertussisJames D Cherry
Department of Pediatrics, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1752, USA
Clin Vaccine Immunol 17:741-7. 2010..Our findings lend support to the idea that DTaP vaccines should contain multiple antigens...
- The chronology of the 2002-2003 SARS mini pandemicJames D Cherry
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and Mattel Children s Hospital at UCLA, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Paediatr Respir Rev 5:262-9. 2004..Sixty-six per cent of the cases occurred in China, 22% in Hong Kong, 4% in Taiwan and 3% in both Singapore and Canada. Twenty-one per cent of all cases occurred in healthcare workers...
- Determination of serum antibody to Bordetella pertussis adenylate cyclase toxin in vaccinated and unvaccinated children and in children and adults with pertussisJames D Cherry
Department of Pediatrics, David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Clin Infect Dis 38:502-7. 2004..The lack of a significant ACT antibody response in children in whom the vaccine failed is of interest but would seem to preclude the use of ACT in diagnostic tests...
- The science and fiction of the "resurgence" of pertussisJames D Cherry
Department of Pediatrics, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1752, USA
Pediatrics 112:405-6. 2003
- SARS: the first pandemic of the 21st centuryJames D Cherry
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and Mattel's Children's Hospital at UCLA, Department of Pediatrics, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1752, USA
Pediatr Res 56:1-5. 2004
- Bordetella Pertussis infections in vaccinated and unvaccinated adolescents and adults, as assessed in a national prospective randomized Acellular Pertussis Vaccine Trial (APERT)Joel I Ward
University of California Los Angeles UCLA Center for Vaccine Research, Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute, Harbor UCLA Medical Center, David Geffen School of Medicine UCLA, Torrance, California 90502 2502, USA
Clin Infect Dis 43:151-7. 2006..Acellular pertussis (aP) booster immunizations have been recommended for adolescents and older persons to enhance long-term protection and to possibly reduce community transmission of infections...
- Pertussis immunization in the global pertussis initiative North American region: recommended strategies and implementation considerationsTina Tan
Division of Infectious Diseases, Northwestern University s Feinberg School of Medicine, The Children s Memorial Hospital, Chicago, IL 60614, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 24:S83-6. 2005....
- Efficacy of an acellular pertussis vaccine among adolescents and adultsJoel I Ward
UCLA Center for Vaccine Research, Research and Education Institute, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, David Geffen School of Medicine, UCLA, Torrance, Calif 90502, USA
N Engl J Med 353:1555-63. 2005..CONCLUSIONS: The acellular pertussis vaccine was protective among adolescents and adults, and its routine use might reduce the overall disease burden and transmission to children...
- Immune responses and antibody decay after immunization of adolescents and adults with an acellular pertussis vaccine: the APERT StudyThuan Le
UCLA Center for Vaccine Research, Research and Education Institute, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, UCLA School of Medicine, Torrance 90502, USA
J Infect Dis 190:535-44. 2004..These findings support the use of ACP booster immunizations for adolescents and adults, to provide sustained levels of antibody...
- Molecular pathogenesis, epidemiology, and clinical manifestations of respiratory infections due to Bordetella pertussis and other Bordetella subspeciesSeema Mattoo
Department of Microbiology, Immunology, and Molecular Genetics, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, California 90095-1752, USA
Clin Microbiol Rev 18:326-82. 2005..It is also hoped that data gathered from molecular Bordetella research will lead to a new generation of DTaP vaccines which provide greater efficacy than is provided by today's vaccines...
- Epidemiology of pertussisJames D Cherry
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 25:361-2. 2006
- Reassessing Reye syndromeEmilie L Chow
Department of Pediatrics, Mattel Children Hospital, 10833 Le Conte Ave, Box 951752, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1752, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 157:1241-2. 2003
- Varicella-zoster virus: an overlooked cause of aseptic meningitisRavi Jhaveri
Division of Infectious Diseases, Mattel Children s Hospital at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1752, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 22:96-7. 2003..We describe a previously healthy child who had aseptic meningitis without exanthem caused by reactivation of varicella-zoster virus. This has not been previously reported in the pediatric literature...
- Recurrent papular urticaria after varicella immunization in a fifteen-month-old girlDavid E Bronstein
Department of Pediatrics, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 24:269-70. 2005..We describe a 15-month-old girl who experienced the onset of recurring papular urticaria after varicella immunization. The rash was varicella-like and thought by us to be caused by vaccine virus...
- Infectious enteritis after intestinal transplantation: incidence, timing, and outcomeDavid Ziring
Department of Surgery, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Transplantation 79:702-9. 2005..With supportive care and appropriate treatment, resolution is possible in the majority of cases. Differentiating rejection and infection on histopathology can be difficult and relies on cultures and immunostaining...
- Hypotonic and hyporesponsive episodes after diptheria-tetanus-acellular pertussis vaccinationJames D Cherry
David Geffen School of Medicine, Mattel Children s Hospital at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 26:966-7. 2007..Administration of DTaP vaccine has been followed by remarkably few hypotonic or hyporesponsive episodes. This report describes one of these unusual events...
- A controlled study of the relationship between Bordetella pertussis infections and sudden unexpected deaths among German infantsUlrich Heininger
University Hospital for Children and Adolescents, Erlangen, Germany
Pediatrics 114:e9-15. 2004..This was a prospective, controlled, multicenter study to investigate the relationship between Bordetella pertussis infections and sudden unexpected deaths among German infants...
- Prevention of pertussis, tetanus, and diphtheria among pregnant and postpartum women and their infants recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP)Trudy V Murphy
Division of Bacterial Diseases, National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
MMWR Recomm Rep 57:1-51. 2008....
- Immunity to pertussisJames D Cherry
Clin Infect Dis 44:1278-9. 2007
- Pertussis immunisation in adolescents and adults--Bordetella pertussis epidemiology should guide vaccination recommendationsUlrich Heininger
University Children s Hospital UKBB, PO Box, CH 4005 Basel, Switzerland
Expert Opin Biol Ther 6:685-97. 2006..pertussis could be eliminated...
- New pertussis vaccination strategies beyond infancy: recommendations by the global pertussis initiativeKevin D Forsyth
Department of Paediatraics and Child Health, Flinders Medical Center, Flinders University, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Clin Infect Dis 39:1802-9. 2004..The Global Pertussis Initiative, an expert scientific forum, was established to address the ongoing problems associated with pertussis disease worldwide...
- Serologic response and antibody-titer decay in adults with pertussisUlrich Heininger
Division of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, University Children's Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
Clin Infect Dis 38:591-4. 2004..Although studies of adults who have been vaccinated with acellular pertussis vaccines have had shorter follow-up periods than studies of adults with pertussis infection, the antibody decay patterns are similar in both groups...
- Effect of injection site on reactogenicity and immunogenicity of acellular and whole-cell pertussis component diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis vaccines in infantsTerhi Tapiainen
University Children's Hospital Basel, Division of Pediatrics Infectious Diseases and Vaccines, PO Box 8, 4005 Basel, Switzerland
Vaccine 23:5106-12. 2005..pertussis, pertactin, is decreased...
- The protein content of diphtheria-tetanus toxoids-acellular pertussis vaccines and an emerging clinical problemJames D Cherry
J Infect Dis 191:1386-8. 2005
- Pathology and pathogenesis of fatal Bordetella pertussis infection in infantsChristopher D Paddock
Infectious Disease Pathology Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Clin Infect Dis 47:328-38. 2008....
- Risks to children of health care personnel receiving smallpox vaccinationJames D Cherry
Pediatr Infect Dis J 22:574-5. 2003
- Comparison of pulsed field gel electrophoresis patterns of Bordetella pertussis isolates from unvaccinated children with severe or mild pertussisUlrich Heininger
University Hospital for Children and Adolescents, Erlangen, Germany
Pediatr Infect Dis J 23:211-7. 2004..mild illness. CONCLUSIONS: Differences in virulence of circulating B. pertussis strains can be absent or might not correlate with specific PFGE patterns. Other methods should be evaluated to identify differences in virulence...