Affiliation: University of Michigan
- Characteristics and treatment interests among individuals with substance use disorders and a history of past six-month violence: findings from an emergency department studyStephen T Chermack
Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, 4250 Plymouth Rd, Ann Arbor, MI, United States Department of Veterans Affairs, Health Services Research and Development, Ann Arbor, MI, United States Electronic address
Addict Behav 39:265-72. 2014..Findings from the present study could be useful for designing effective brief interventions and services for ED settings. ..
- Gender differences in correlates of recent physical assault among untreated rural and urban at-risk drinkers: role of depressionStephen T Chermack
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Violence Vict 21:67-80. 2006..Overall, the results of this study suggest that screening and prevention interventions for physical assault among at-risk drinkers should target both alcohol use disorders and depression...
- Distal and proximal factors related to aggression severity among patients in substance abuse treatment: family history, alcohol use and expectanciesStephen T Chermack
University of Michigan, Department of Psychiatry, USA
Addict Behav 31:845-58. 2006....
- The prevalence and predictors of mental health treatment services in a national sample of depressed veteransStephen T Chermack
Department of Veterans Affairs, Ann Arbor Center of Excellence COE, Serious Mental Illness Treatment, Research, and Evaluation Center SMITREC, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48108, USA
Med Care 46:813-20. 2008..Both low level care (receipt of any MT, PT, or CT, but all below guideline levels) as well as guideline concordant care (GC MT, PT, and CT) were examined...
- Treatment needs of men and women with violence problems in substance use disorder treatmentStephen T Chermack
University of Michigan Addiction Research Center, Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48105, USA
Subst Use Misuse 44:1236-62. 2009..4% reporting being injured. Overall, those injuring nonpartners or both partners/nonpartners had more severe problems. Implications of the findings for SUD treatment settings and a model for integrated violence prevention are discussed...
- Violence among men and women in substance use disorder treatment: a multi-level event-based analysisStephen T Chermack
University of Michigan Addiction Research Center, Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48105, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 112:194-200. 2010....
- Partner aggression among men and women in substance use disorder treatment: correlates of psychological and physical aggression and injuryStephen T Chermack
University of Michigan Addiction Research Center, Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, United States
Drug Alcohol Depend 98:35-44. 2008....
- Prevalence and correlates of alcohol misuse among returning Afghanistan and Iraq veteransInger Burnett-Zeigler
VA Ann Arbor Healthcare System, VA Serious Mental Illness Treatment Research and Evaluation Center Health Services Research and Development, Ann Arbor, MI 48105, USA
Addict Behav 36:801-6. 2011..This study assessed the prevalence and correlates of alcohol misuse and the factors associated with treatment utilization among recently returned National Guard service members...
- The association between violence and lifetime suicidal thoughts and behaviors in individuals treated for substance use disordersMark A Ilgen
Department of Veterans Affairs, Health Services Research and Development, 2215 Fuller Road 11H, Ann Arbor, MI 48105, USA
Addict Behav 35:111-5. 2010..The present study examined the association between lifetime violent behavior and suicidal thoughts and attempts in a national sample of patients seeking substance use disorder (SUD) treatment...
- Brief alcohol intervention in the emergency department: moderators of effectivenessMaureen A Walton
Department of Psychiatry, Rachel Upjohn Building, University of Michigan, 4250 Plymouth Road, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
J Stud Alcohol Drugs 69:550-60. 2008..This article examines moderators of outcomes among ED patients, ages 19 and older, who participated in a randomized controlled trial of a brief intervention for alcohol misuse...
- Prenatal alcohol use: the role of lifetime problems with alcohol, drugs, depression, and violenceHeather A Flynn
Department of Psychiatry, Rachel Upjohn Building, University of Michigan, 4250 Plymouth Road, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 5766, USA
J Stud Alcohol Drugs 69:500-9. 2008....
- Using the addiction severity index to predict mental and medical health service utilizationJohn M Wryobeck
University of Michigan, Department of Psychiatry and Ann Arbor VA Medical Center, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
J Addict Dis 25:1-14. 2006..It also was found that certain psychiatric and medical diagnoses were related to service use measures, and that a diagnosis of depression was related to overall healthcare utilization...
- The efficacy of two brief intervention strategies among injured, at-risk drinkers in the emergency department: impact of tailored messaging and brief adviceFrederic C Blow
Department of Veterans Affairs, Health Services Research and Development, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48105, USA
J Stud Alcohol 67:568-78. 2006....
- Individual and social/environmental predictors of alcohol and drug use 2 years following substance abuse treatmentMaureen A Walton
Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, 400 E Eisenhower Parkway, Building 2, Suite A, Ann Arbor 48108 3318, USA
Addict Behav 28:627-42. 2003..Findings highlight differential predictors of posttreatment substance use that may be useful in developing alternative approaches to prevent relapse...
- Diverse research on alcohol and aggression in humans: in memory of John A. CarpenterPeter R Giancola
Department of Psychology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky 40506 0044, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 27:198-208. 2003..b>Stephen Chermack reviewed data on the impact of a family history of alcoholism and a family history of violence on the ..
- Correlates of received and expressed violence persistence following substance abuse treatmentMaureen A Walton
Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48108, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 67:1-12. 2002....
- Violence among individuals in substance abuse treatment: the role of alcohol and cocaine consumptionStephen T Chermack
John D Dingell VA Medical Center, 4646 John R Street, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 66:29-37. 2002....
- Investigating the use of contingency management in the treatment of cocaine abuse among individuals with schizophrenia: a feasibility studyJohn M Roll
UCLA Integrated Substance Abuse Programs, Los Angeles, CA 90025, USA
Psychiatry Res 125:61-4. 2004..This early period of sobriety may represent a clinically relevant window of opportunity during which intensive psychosocial or social work interventions might have a greater chance for success...
- Predictors of aggression across three generations among sons of alcoholics: relationships involving grandparental and parental alcoholism, child aggression, marital aggression and parenting practicesBret E Fuller
Department of Public Health and Preventive Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Parkway, Mail Code CB 669, Portland, Oregon 97239, USA
J Stud Alcohol 64:472-83. 2003..Given the importance of aggressive, undercontrolled behavior in the etiology of alcoholism, the purpose of this study was to construct a statistical model of intergenerational aggression and alcoholism among family members...
- Developing Violence Therapy for Substance AbusersSTEPHEN CHERMACK; Fiscal Year: 2006..This study will be an important first step in the development of interventions for a costly, common and under-treated problem within SAT. ..