Genomes and Genes
Wei Min Chen
Affiliation: University of Michigan
- Power and robustness of linkage tests for quantitative traits in general pedigreesWei Min Chen
Department of Biostatistics, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Genet Epidemiol 28:11-23. 2005..While we have not yet examined the performance of our procedures in the context of selective sampling via computer simulations, the proposed tests satisfy all of the other qualities of an ideal quantitative trait linkage analysis method...
- Estimating the power of variance component linkage analysis in large pedigreesWei Min Chen
Department of Biostatistics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Genet Epidemiol 30:471-84. 2006..Our algorithms for power analysis together with polygenic analysis are implemented in a freely available computer program, POLY...
- Common variants in the GDF5-UQCC region are associated with variation in human heightSerena Sanna
Center for Statistical Genetics, Department of Biostatistics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Nat Genet 40:198-203. 2008..44 cm (overall P < 10(-15)). Our results indicate that there may be a link between the genetic basis of height and osteoarthritis, potentially mediated through alterations in bone growth and development...
- Quantitative trait linkage analysis by generalized estimating equations: unification of variance components and Haseman-Elston regressionWei Min Chen
Department of Biostatistics, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Genet Epidemiol 26:265-72. 2004..Third, our general framework suggests important extensions to the Haseman-Elston approach which make more complete use of the data in extended pedigrees and allow a natural incorporation of environmental and other covariates...
- Family-based association tests for genomewide association scansWei Min Chen
Department of Biostatistics, University of Michigan School of Public Health, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Am J Hum Genet 81:913-26. 2007..Our genotype-inference algorithm and the proposed association tests are implemented in software that is available for free...
- The GLUT9 gene is associated with serum uric acid levels in Sardinia and Chianti cohortsSiguang Li
Laboratory of Genetics, National Institute on Aging, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS Genet 3:e194. 2007..Our results suggest that polymorphisms in GLUT9 could affect glucose metabolism and uric acid synthesis and/or renal reabsorption, influencing serum uric acid levels over a wide range of values...
- Variance components linkage analysis with repeated measurementsLiming Liang
Department of Biostatistics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich, USA
Hum Hered 67:237-47. 2009..A number of methods have been proposed to model repeated measures in linkage analysis. Here, we focus on assessing the impact of repeated measures on the power and cost of a linkage study...
- Newly identified loci that influence lipid concentrations and risk of coronary artery diseaseCristen J Willer
Center for Statistical Genetics, Department of Biostatistics, University of Michigan, 1420 Washington Heights, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Nat Genet 40:161-9. 2008..Notably, the 11 independent variants associated with increased LDL cholesterol concentrations in our study also showed increased frequency in a sample of coronary artery disease cases versus controls...
- Transmission disequilibrium test with discordant sib pairs when parents are availableHong Wen Deng
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Creighton University, 601 N 30th St, Suite 6787, Omaha, NE 68131, USA
Hum Genet 110:451-61. 2002..Importantly, the TDT(DS) not only may be more powerful, it also has the advantage of being able to test for segregation distortion that may yield false linkage/association in the TDT(D)...
- In silico method for inferring genotypes in pedigreesJoshua T Burdick
Department of Pediatrics, University of Pennsylvania, 3516 Civic Center Blvd, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Nat Genet 38:1002-4. 2006..The method can be used to obtain high-density genotypes in different family structures, including nuclear families commonly used in complex disease gene mapping studies...
- Heritability of cardiovascular and personality traits in 6,148 SardiniansGiuseppe Pilia
Istituto di Neurogenetica e Neurofarmacologia, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Ospedale Microcitemico, Cagliari, Italy
PLoS Genet 2:e132. 2006..Evidence for heterogeneity by age and sex suggests that models allowing for these differences will be important in mapping quantitative traits...
- Genome-wide association scan shows genetic variants in the FTO gene are associated with obesity-related traitsAngelo Scuteri
Unità Operativa Geriatria, Istituto per la Patologia Endocrina e Metabolica, Rome, Italy
PLoS Genet 3:e115. 2007..These changes could have a significant impact on the risk of obesity-related morbidity in the general population...