Moon S Chen
Affiliation: University of California
- Hepatitis B knowledge and vaccination levels in California Hmong youth: implications for liver cancer prevention strategiesLesley M Butler
Department of Public Health Sciences, Division of Epidemiology, University of California Davis Cancer Center, 4501 X Street, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 6:401-3. 2005..We also observed very low prevalence of HBV vaccination (12%), although a majority reported knowing that shots can prevent disease (68%). Liver cancer prevention and control methods targeted to Hmong youth are needed...
- Increasing hepatitis B screening for hmong adults: results from a randomized controlled community-based studyMoon S Chen
University of California Davis Comprehensive Cancer Center, 4800 2nd Avenue, Suite 2200, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 22:782-91. 2013..Serologic testing for the hepatitis B virus (HBV) is a principal means to prevent liver cancer-related deaths through earlier identification of those at risk...
- Review of smoking cessation research among Asian Americans: the state of the researchMoon S Chen
Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, University of California, Davis, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 9:485-93. 2007..We concluded with three specific recommendations for further research on smoking cessation intervention research focused on Asian Americans...
- Cancer health disparities among Asian Americans: what we do and what we need to doMoon S Chen
Department of Public Health Sciences, School of Medicine, University of California Davis, Sacramento, California 95817, USA
Cancer 104:2895-902. 2005..Reducing cancer health disparities among Asian Americans will involve research into their unique, unusual, and unnecessary cancer burden...
- Asian American Network for Cancer Awareness, Research, and Training's legacy. The first 5 yearsMoon S Chen
Asian American Network for Cancer Awareness, Research, and Training AANCART, Department of Public Health Sciences, University of California Davis, Sacramento, California 95817, USA
Cancer 107:2006-14. 2006..AANCART's first 5 years have increased cancer awareness, trained special populations scientists, and advanced the field of Asian American cancer control research. Cancer 2006. (c) 2006 American Cancer Society...
- Integrating theory into community interventions to reduce liver cancer disparities: The Health Behavior FrameworkRoshan Bastani
School of Public Health, and Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 6900, USA
Prev Med 50:63-7. 2010....
- Hepatitis B awareness, knowledge, and screening among Asian AmericansTung T Nguyen
Vietnamese Community Health Promotion Project and UCSF Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
J Cancer Educ 22:266-72. 2007..Due to the high prevalence of hepatitis B, Asian Americans have high rates of liver cancer. Screening for hepatitis B leads to monitoring and treatment and prevent further infection through vaccination of contacts...
- Factors associated with hepatitis B testing among Vietnamese AmericansTung T Nguyen
Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
J Gen Intern Med 25:694-700. 2010....
- Overcoming barriers to cancer clinical trial accrual: impact of a mass media campaignAri Umutyan
University of California Davis Cancer Center, Sacramento, California 95817, USA
Cancer 112:212-9. 2008..The authors assessed willingness to participate in and accrual to CCT...
- Provider smoking cessation advice among California Asian-American smokersElisa K Tong
Department of Internal Medicine, University of California Davis, Sacramento, California 95817, USA
Am J Health Promot 25:S70-4. 2011..To determine proportions of provider advice to quit smoking for Asian-American smokers and to describe factors that may affect the provision of such advice...
- English language proficiency and smoking prevalence among California's Asian AmericansHao Tang
Tobacco Control Section, California Department of Health Services, Sacramento, CA 95899 7413, USA
Cancer 104:2982-8. 2005..English proficiency seemed to have the effect of reducing smoking prevalence rates among Asian males but had just the opposite effect among Asian females...
- Twenty years post-NIH Revitalization Act: enhancing minority participation in clinical trials (EMPaCT): laying the groundwork for improving minority clinical trial accrual: renewing the case for enhancing minority participation in cancer clinical trialsMoon S Chen
Division of Hematology and Oncology, Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, University of California, Davis, Sacramento, California Cancer Control, University of California, Davis Comprehensive Cancer Center, Sacramento, California
Cancer 120:1091-6. 2014..Without representation in trials, it is projected that disparities in the cancer burden for minorities will increase...
- Theoretically informed correlates of hepatitis B knowledge among four Asian groups: the health behavior frameworkAnnette E Maxwell
School of Public Health and Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California, Los Angeles, USA
Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 13:1687-92. 2012..The present analysis examined relationships among Health Behavior Framework factors across four Asian American groups to advance the development of theory-based interventions for HBV testing in at-risk populations...
- Evaluation of factors affecting awareness of and willingness to participate in cancer clinical trialsPrimo N Lara
University of California Davis Cancer Center, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
J Clin Oncol 23:9282-9. 2005..We evaluated the level of awareness of patients and/or their family members/friends regarding CCTs and SB37...
- Constructing a theoretically based set of measures for liver cancer control research studiesAnnette E Maxwell
School of Public Health and Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California, Los Angeles, USA
Prev Med 50:68-73. 2010..The purpose of this article is to describe the first steps in the process of constructing a theoretically based set of measures that is currently used in three trials to reduce liver cancer disparities...
- Electronic messages increase hepatitis B screening in at-risk Asian American patients: a randomized, controlled trialLeeyen Hsu
School of Medicine, University of California, Davis, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Dig Dis Sci 58:807-14. 2013..Hepatitis B (HBV) induced hepatocellular carcinoma is the greatest cancer health disparity affecting Asian Americans, but the prevalence of screening to detect HBV is suboptimal...
- Asian subgroups and cancer incidence and mortality rates in CaliforniaSandy L Kwong
Cancer Control Branch, California Department of Health Services, Sacramento, CA 95815, USA
Cancer 104:2975-81. 2005..Acculturation will continue to affect the patterns of cancer incidence among Asian subgroups in California...
- Smoke-free policies among Asian-American women: comparisons by education statusElisa K Tong
Department of Internal Medicine, University of California, Davis, California, USA
Am J Prev Med 37:S144-50. 2009..California's ethnic-specific surveys present an opportunity to disaggregate data and examine the impact of California's smoke-free social norm campaign for Asian-American women...
- Factors associated with pap testing among Hmong womenDao Moua Fang
Hmong Women s Heritage Association, Sacramento, Calif 95822, USA
J Health Care Poor Underserved 21:839-50. 2010..0 vs. age 51-65, 95% CI 1.4-6.7) or 31-40 (OR=3.0, 95% CI 1.4-6.4), and less likely if they were single (OR=0.4 vs. married/partnered, 95% CI 0.2-1.0) or born in the U.S. (OR=0.3 vs. <10 years in U.S., 95% CI 0.1-0.8)...
- High quit ratio among Asian immigrants in California: implications for population tobacco cessationShu Hong Zhu
Cancer Center, Mail Code 0905, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0905, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 9:S505-14. 2007..These results suggest that creating an impetus to drive up quit attempts, which often results from a significant change in social norms toward smoking, is the most important strategy to improve cessation on the population level...
- Decreasing disparity in liver transplantation among white and Asian patients with hepatocellular carcinoma : California, 1998-2005Anthony S Robbins
California Cancer Registry, Public Health Institute, Sacramento, California, USA
Cancer 113:2173-9. 2008....
- Asian Americans and cancer clinical trials: a mixed-methods approach to understanding awareness and experienceDebora A Paterniti
Center for Health Services Research in Primary Care, University of California Davis Cancer Center, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Cancer 104:3015-24. 2005....
- The Asian American Network for Cancer Awareness, Research and Training's role in cancer awareness, research and trainingMoon S Chen
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, University of California, Davis, USA
Asian Am Pac Isl J Health 10:17-24. 2003....
- Hepatitis B among Asian Americans: Prevalence, progress, and prospects for controlMoon S Chen
Moon S Chen Jr, Division of Hematology and Oncology, Department of Internal Medicine, University of California, Davis School of Medicine, Sacramento, CA 95817, United States
World J Gastroenterol 21:11924-30. 2015..Evidence-based strategies are offered to implement CDC's three major recommendations to control and prevent hepatitis B through targeted screening and enhanced vaccination efforts. ..
- Challenges in tobacco use prevention among minority youthMoon S Chen
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, School of Medicine, University of California Davis, Davis, California 95817, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 12:253s-255s. 2003
- Cancer incidence, mortality, and associated risk factors among Asian Americans of Chinese, Filipino, Vietnamese, Korean, and Japanese ethnicitiesMelissa McCracken
Department of Epidemiology and Surveillance Research, American Cancer Society, Atlanta, GA, USA
CA Cancer J Clin 57:190-205. 2007..Differences in cancer burden among Asian American ethnic groups should be considered in the clinical setting and in cancer control planning...
- Friendships and relationships: Sacramento AANCART's best practiceRobin Shimizu
Tobacco Control Section, California Department of Health Services, Sacramento, CA
Cancer 104:2937-9. 2005..The best practice of Sacramento's Asian American Network for Cancer Awareness Research and Training program is friendships and relationships...
- AANCART Korean American Cancer Control AcademyMoon Chen; Fiscal Year: 2004..We shall also welcome cancer prevention and control work related to other cancer risk factors and other cancer sites. ..
- ASIAN AMERICAN NETWORK FOR CANCER AWAREN, RESEARCH & TRGMoon Chen; Fiscal Year: 2004..Thus, AANCART collaborators will share experiences and expertise, reducing duplication and promoting synergy. ..