Kevin W Chen
Affiliation: University of Maryland
- Adding integrative meditation with ear acupressure to outpatient treatment of cocaine addiction: a randomized controlled pilot studyKevin W Chen
Center for Integrative Medicine, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
J Altern Complement Med 19:204-10. 2013..This pilot therapy development study attempts to examine the feasibility and preliminary efficacy of adding breathing-based Integrative Meditation and Ear Acupressure (IMEA) to outpatient treatment of cocaine addiction...
- Meditative therapies for reducing anxiety: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsKevin W Chen
Center for Integrative Medicine, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
Depress Anxiety 29:545-62. 2012..Although multiple reviews exist on the general health benefits of meditation, no review has focused on the efficacy of meditation for anxiety specifically...
- An analytical review of the Chinese literature on Qigong therapy for diabetes mellitusKevin W Chen
Center for Integrative Medicine, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21207, USA
Am J Chin Med 37:439-57. 2009..These preliminary data are promising and support the need for further randomized controlled trials...
- Effects of external qigong therapy on osteoarthritis of the knee. A randomized controlled trialKevin W Chen
UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, NJ, USA
Clin Rheumatol 27:1497-505. 2008..Further study on a larger scale with multiple EQT healers is necessary to determine the role (if any) of EQT in the treatment of OA and to identify differences in EQT techniques...
- An examination of psychiatric comorbidities as a function of gender and substance type within an inpatient substance use treatment programKevin W Chen
Center for Addictions, Personality, and Emotion Research, University of Maryland College Park, Department of Psychology, 1147 Biology Psychology Building, College Park, MD 20742, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 118:92-9. 2011..The current study aimed to fill this gap...
- A pilot study of external qigong therapy for patients with fibromyalgiaKevin W Chen
Department of Psychiatry, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, NJ, USA
J Altern Complement Med 12:851-6. 2006....
- Benzodiazepine use and misuse among patients in a methadone programKevin W Chen
Center for Integrative Medicine University of Maryland School of Medicine 520 W, Lombard St, East Hall, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
BMC Psychiatry 11:90. 2011..This study estimates the prevalence of BZD misuse in a methadone program, and provides information on the characteristics of BZD users compared to non-users...
- Introducing qigong meditation into residential addiction treatment: a pilot study where gender makes a differenceKevin W Chen
Center for Integrative Medicine and Department of Psychiatry, University of Maryland School of Medicine, 520 Lombard Street, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
J Altern Complement Med 16:875-82. 2010..The objective of this study was to explore the feasibility and efficacy of adding integrative qigong meditation to residential treatment for substance abuse...
- Smoking, drugs, and other behavioral health problems among multiethnic adolescents in the NHSDAWilliam A Vega
Department of Psychiatry, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, NJ 08854, United States
Addict Behav 32:1949-56. 2007..African American and Hispanic immigrants had lower risk of smoking initiation and tobacco dependence, however, ethnic group adolescents who initiated smoking shared increased risk of addictive and non-addictive disorders...
- An analytic review of studies on measuring effects of external QI in ChinaKevin W Chen
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, USA
Altern Ther Health Med 10:38-50. 2004..New methodologies, new theories, and new perspectives are urgently needed for further understanding what qigong is and how EQ healing works...
- A case study of simultaneous recovery from multiple physical symptoms with medical qigong therapyKevin W Chen
Department of Psychiatry, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
J Altern Complement Med 10:159-62. 2004..Can medical qigong help such a patient to cure multiple symptoms simultaneously?..
- External qigong therapy for chronic orofacial painKevin W Chen
J Altern Complement Med 8:532-4. 2002
- Benefits of external qigong therapy on morphine-abstinent mice and ratsZhixian Mo
Department of Traditional Chinese Medicine, The First Military Medical University, Guangzhou, China
J Altern Complement Med 9:827-35. 2003..Three different designs confirm that the impact of qigong therapy on morphine-abstinent mice and rats is reliable and substantial. Further research on the effectiveness and the mechanism of qigong therapy on addiction is warranted...
- A preliminary study of the effect of external qigong on lymphoma growth in miceKevin W Chen
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Newark, NJ 08854, USA
J Altern Complement Med 8:615-21. 2002..To examine the effectiveness of external qigong on the in vivo growth of transplantable murine lymphoma cells in mice...
- Qigong for cancer treatment: a systematic review of controlled clinical trialsMyeong Soo Lee
Complementary Medicine, Peninsula Medical School, Universities of Exeter and Plymouth, Exeter, UK
Acta Oncol 46:717-22. 2007..Two trials suggested effectiveness in prolonging life of cancer patients and one failed to do so. We conclude that the effectiveness of qigong in cancer care is not yet supported by the evidence from rigorous clinical trials...
- DELAY OF GRATIFICATION--SUBSTANCE USE/ABUSE/DEPENDENCEKevin Chen; Fiscal Year: 2003..Significant implications for drug prevention and treatment programs, and for the study of other health-related behaviors are anticipated. ..
- Qigong Therapy for Osteoarthritis at KneesKevin Chen; Fiscal Year: 2005..This pilot trial should provide a foundation for a more systematic exploration of the benefits of qigong exercise (self-practice) and EQT in reducing or eliminating chronic arthritis pain. ..