Genomes and Genes
Iain M Cheeseman
Affiliation: University of California
- The CENP-F-like proteins HCP-1 and HCP-2 target CLASP to kinetochores to mediate chromosome segregationIain M Cheeseman
Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, University of California, San Diego School of Medicine, La Jolla, 92093, USA
Curr Biol 15:771-7. 2005..Our results establish that the key role of HCP-1/2 is to target CLASP(CLS-2) to kinetochores, and they support the recently proposed model that CLASP functions to promote the polymerization of kinetochore bound microtubules ...
- A combined approach for the localization and tandem affinity purification of protein complexes from metazoansIain M Cheeseman
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Sci STKE 2005:pl1. 2005..The LAP strategy should be widely applicable to the characterization of protein function in cellular and developmental contexts in various metazoans...
- A conserved protein network controls assembly of the outer kinetochore and its ability to sustain tensionIain M Cheeseman
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
Genes Dev 18:2255-68. 2004..Thus, this protein network is a conserved constituent of the outer kinetochore, and the functions defined by our analysis in C. elegans are likely to be widely relevant...
- The conserved KMN network constitutes the core microtubule-binding site of the kinetochoreIain M Cheeseman
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine UCSD, CMM East, Room 3052, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Cell 127:983-97. 2006..Based on these findings, we propose that the conserved KMN network constitutes the core microtubule-binding site of the kinetochore...
- Cell division: AAAtacking the mitotic spindleIain M Cheeseman
CMM East, Rm 3071G, Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
Curr Biol 14:R70-2. 2004..But how is this spindle broken down once chromosome segregation is complete? New evidence implicates a highly conserved AAA-ATPase in spindle disassembly at the end of mitosis...
- The human Mis12 complex is required for kinetochore assembly and proper chromosome segregationSusan L Kline
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, University of California, San Diego, School of Medicine, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
J Cell Biol 173:9-17. 2006..These results indicate that a four-subunit Mis12 complex plays an essential role in chromosome segregation in vertebrates and contributes to mitotic kinetochore assembly...
- Architecture of the budding yeast kinetochore reveals a conserved molecular coreStefan Westermann
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, Barker Hall, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
J Cell Biol 163:215-22. 2003..We propose that a molecular core consisting of CENP-A, -C, -H, and Ndc80/HEC has been conserved from yeast to humans to link centromeres to spindle microtubules...
- Phospho-regulation of kinetochore-microtubule attachments by the Aurora kinase Ipl1pIain M Cheeseman
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Cell 111:163-72. 2002..Our systematic mutational analysis of the Ipl1p phosphorylation sites demonstrated that the essential microtubule binding protein Dam1p is a key Ipl1p target for regulating kinetochore-microtubule attachments in vivo...
- KNL1 and the CENP-H/I/K complex coordinately direct kinetochore assembly in vertebratesIain M Cheeseman
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, and Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Mol Biol Cell 19:587-94. 2008..These findings explain discrepancies in kinetochore assembly pathways between different organisms and reveal a surprising plasticity in the assembly mechanism of an essential cell division organelle...
- Kinetochore protein interactions and their regulation by the Aurora kinase Ipl1pChing Shang
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720 3202, USA
Mol Biol Cell 14:3342-55. 2003..Strikingly, we found that the Dam1p-Ndc80p and Dam1p-Spc34p interactions were weakened by mutations mimicking phosphorylation at Ipl1p sites, allowing us to formulate a model for the effects of phosphoregulation on kinetochore function...
- Orientation and structure of the Ndc80 complex on the microtubule latticeElizabeth M Wilson-Kubalek
Department of Cell Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
J Cell Biol 182:1055-61. 2008....
- A new mechanism controlling kinetochore-microtubule interactions revealed by comparison of two dynein-targeting components: SPDL-1 and the Rod/Zwilch/Zw10 complexReto Gassmann
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research Dept of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
Genes Dev 22:2385-99. 2008....
- "Holo"er than thou: chromosome segregation and kinetochore function in C. elegansPaul S Maddox
CMM East, Rm 3071G, Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, 9500 Gilman Dr, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Chromosome Res 12:641-53. 2004..elegans. In addition to reviewing what is known about kinetochore function, chromosome structure, and chromosome movement, we consider the consequences of the specialized holocentric architecture on chromosome segregation...
- Simple centromere, complex kinetochore: linking spindle microtubules and centromeric DNA in budding yeastIain M Cheeseman
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720 3202, USA
J Cell Biol 157:199-203. 2002..This analysis may provide general principles for kinetochore function and regulation...
- The CENP-H-I complex is required for the efficient incorporation of newly synthesized CENP-A into centromeresMasahiro Okada
Department of Molecular Genetics, National Institute of Genetics and The Graduate University for Advanced Studies, Mishima, Shizuoka 411 8540, Japan
Nat Cell Biol 8:446-57. 2006....
- Molecular architecture of the kinetochore-microtubule interfaceIain M Cheeseman
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, and Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Nine Cambridge Center, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02142, USA
Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 9:33-46. 2008..Recent studies have identified more than 80 kinetochore components, and are revealing how these proteins are organized into the higher order kinetochore structure, as well as how they function to achieve proper chromosome segregation...
- Cell division: feeling tense enough?Iain M Cheeseman
Nature 428:32-3. 2004
- Fibrils connect microtubule tips with kinetochores: a mechanism to couple tubulin dynamics to chromosome motionJ Richard McIntosh
Department of M C D Biology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309 0347, USA
Cell 135:322-33. 2008..These analyses define a ring-independent mechanism for harnessing microtubule dynamics directly to chromosome movement...