Affiliation: University of California
- Safety and efficacy of inhaled treprostinil as add-on therapy to bosentan in pulmonary arterial hypertensionRichard N Channick
UCSD Medical Center, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 48:1433-7. 2006..This study evaluated the safety and efficacy of inhaled treprostinil as add-on therapy to oral bosentan in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH)...
- Diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertensionRichard Channick
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care, University of California, San Diego, 9300 Campus Point Drive, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Cardiol Clin 22:441-52, vii. 2004..Proper evaluation and understanding of determinants of severity in pulmonary arterial hypertension are necessary to guide appropriate therapy. This article discusses the diagnosis and treatment of this complex and multifactorial disease...
- Endothelin receptor antagonists in pulmonary arterial hypertensionRichard N Channick
Pulmonary and Critical Care Division, University of California, San Diego, California, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 43:62S-67S. 2004..The selective endothelin receptor-A antagonists sitaxsentan and ambrisentan are currently undergoing investigation...
- Effects of the dual endothelin-receptor antagonist bosentan in patients with pulmonary hypertension: a randomised placebo-controlled studyR N Channick
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
Lancet 358:1119-23. 2001..We describe the efficacy and safety of bosentan, a dual endothelin-receptor antagonist that can be taken orally, in patients with severe pulmonary hypertension...
- BosentanKelly Chin
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of California, San Diego, 9300 Campus Point Drive, La Jolla, CA 92037 7381, USA
Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther 2:175-82. 2004..Ease of administration of bosentan with twice-daily oral dosing will provide many patients with pulmonary hypertension an option for treatment without the risks and discomforts of continuous intravenous medication...
- Long-term outcome after pulmonary thromboendarterectomyC J Archibald
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine and Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of California, San Diego, San Diego, California, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 160:523-8. 1999..These data indicate that PTE offers most CTEPH patients substantial improvement in survival, function, and quality of life, with minimal disease-related health care utilization...
- Atrial septostomy as a bridge to lung transplantation in patients with severe pulmonary hypertensionA Rothman
Division of Pediatric Cardiology, University of California, San Diego, USA
Am J Cardiol 84:682-6. 1999..Six patients did not have clinical improvement after septostomy. Atrial septostomy improves the hemodynamic status and may be useful as a bridge to lung transplantation in selected patients with pulmonary hypertension...
- Chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertensionP F Fedullo
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care, University of California, San Diego Medical Center, San Diego, California, USA
Clin Chest Med 22:561-81. 2001..It also provides a unique opportunity to evaluate pharmacologic interventions designed to prevent or diminish the occurrence of acute lung injury and postoperative management strategies designed to minimize its impact...
- Outpatient inhaled nitric oxide in a patient with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: a bridge to lung transplantationG L Yung
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego School of Medicine, San Diego, California 92103 8373, USA
J Heart Lung Transplant 20:1224-7. 2001..Exercise study and two-dimensional echocardiogram, after 3 months of inhaled NO, demonstrated continued benefits of INO for improvement of arterial oxygenation, pulmonary arterial pressure and exercise tolerance...
- New and experimental therapies for pulmonary hypertensionR N Channick
Department of Medicine, Pulmonary and Critical Care Division, University of California, San Diego Medical Center, San Diego, California, USA
Clin Chest Med 22:539-45. 2001..The development of agents that target the known endothelial and nonendothelial defects in patients with PPH is well underway. Clinicians are witnessing an exciting new era for physicians and patients dealing with this disease...
- Rituximab treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension associated with systemic lupus erythematosus: a case reportS Hennigan
Department of Medicine, University of California San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Lupus 17:754-6. 2008....
- Comparison of impedance cardiography to direct Fick and thermodilution cardiac output determination in pulmonary arterial hypertensionGordon L Yung
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of California San Diego Medical Center, San Diego, CA 92103 8373, USA
Congest Heart Fail 10:7-10. 2004..TD was 0.84, 0.89, and 0.80, respectively). ICG provides an accurate, useful, and cost-effective method for determining CO in pulmonary hypertension patients, and is a potential tool for following responses to therapeutic interventions...
- Exercise in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertensionSmita A Desai
University of California San Diego Medical Center, 200 W Arbor Dr, MC 8373, San Diego, CA 92103 corrected USA
J Cardiopulm Rehabil Prev 28:12-6. 2008..The evidence suggesting that exercise may be safe in these patients is summarized and a potential exercise prescription is suggested...
- Central venous blood oxygen saturation monitoring in patients with chronic pulmonary arterial hypertension treated with continuous IV epoprostenol: correlation with measurements of hemodynamics and plasma brain natriuretic peptide levelsKelly M Chin
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Pulmonary Hypertension Program, 5909 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX 75235 9254, USA
Chest 132:786-92. 2007....
- Function of Kv1.5 channels and genetic variations of KCNA5 in patients with idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertensionCarmelle V Remillard
Department of Medicine, University of California San Diego, 9500 Gilman Dr, MC 0725, La Jolla, CA 92093 0725, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 292:C1837-53. 2007..g., nicotine and ET-1); 2) novel SNPs in KCNA5 are present in IPAH patients; and 3) SNPs in the promoter and translated regions of KCNA5 may underlie the altered expression and/or function of Kv1.5 channels in PASMC from IPAH patients...
- Effects of the dual endothelin receptor antagonist bosentan in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension: a 1-year follow-up studyOlivier Sitbon
Service de Pneumologie Réanimation Respiratoire, Hopital Antoine Beclere, 157, Avenue de la Porte Trivaux, F 92141 Clamart Cedex, France
Chest 124:247-54. 2003..We report on the long-term safety and efficacy of bosentan treatment in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH)...
- Randomized study of adding inhaled iloprost to existing bosentan in pulmonary arterial hypertensionVallerie V McLaughlin
The University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 174:1257-63. 2006..Small, open-label studies suggest that combinations of existing therapies may be effective for pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH)...
- Endothelin antagonism in pulmonary arterial hypertensionStephen H Lee
Department of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Semin Respir Crit Care Med 26:402-8. 2005..This review provides an overview of endothelin biology and the clinical use of ERAs for the treatment of PAH. The use of ERAs for other forms of pulmonary hypertension will not be reviewed here...
- Successful withdrawal of long-term epoprostenol therapy for pulmonary arterial hypertensionNick H Kim
Pulmonary Vascular Center, University of California, San Diego, CA, La Jolla 92037, USA
Chest 124:1612-5. 2003..IV epoprostenol treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) has been believed to require an indefinite duration of therapy..
- Pulmonary endarterectomy: experience and lessons learned in 1,500 casesStuart W Jamieson
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Department of Anesthesia, UCSD Medical Center, San Diego, California, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 76:1457-62; discussion 1462-4. 2003..With the increased recognition of the disease and the success of operative therapy, however, more than 1,400 operations have been done since 1990 at our center...
- Preoperative partitioning of pulmonary vascular resistance correlates with early outcome after thromboendarterectomy for chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertensionNick H S Kim
University of California, San Diego, 9300 Campus Point Dr, M C 7381, La Jolla, CA 92037 1300, USA
Circulation 109:18-22. 2004..We postulated that pulmonary arterial occlusion pressure waveform analysis, a technique that has been used for partitioning pulmonary vascular resistance, might identify CTEPH patients with significant distal, small-vessel disease...
- Decreased plasma neurohormones and improved cardiac performance after surgical treatment of chronic pulmonary embolismIgor I Tulevski
Department of Cardiology, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Thorac Surg 76:287-90. 2003..Monitoring of changes in these parameters may provide quantitative follow-up of right ventricular function in these patients...
- Is methamphetamine use associated with idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension?Kelly M Chin
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, St Paul University Hospital, Dallas, TX, USA
Chest 130:1657-63. 2006....
- Surgical treatments/interventions for pulmonary arterial hypertension: ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guidelinesRamona L Doyle
Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, H3147 Stanford University School of Medicine, Palo Alto, CA 94305, USA
Chest 126:63S-71S. 2004..This chapter will provide evidence-based recommendations for the selection and timing of surgical and interventional treatments of PAH for physicians involved in the care of these complex patients...