Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Texas Health Science Center
- Chandrasekar B, Bysani S, Mummidi S. CXCL16 signals via Gi, phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase, Akt, I kappa B kinase, and nuclear factor-kappa B and induces cell-cell adhesion and aortic smooth muscle cell proliferation. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:3188-96 pubmed..Most importantly, CXCL16 increased cell-cell adhesion and induced kappa B-dependent ASMC proliferation, indicating that CXCL16 may play an important role in the development and progression of atherosclerotic vascular disease. ..
- Chandrasekar B, Valente A, Freeman G, Mahimainathan L, Mummidi S. Interleukin-18 induces human cardiac endothelial cell death via a novel signaling pathway involving NF-kappaB-dependent PTEN activation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;339:956-63 pubmed....
- Chandrasekar B, Patel D, Mummidi S, Kim J, Clark R, Valente A. Interleukin-18 suppresses adiponectin expression in 3T3-L1 adipocytes via a novel signal transduction pathway involving ERK1/2-dependent NFATc4 phosphorylation. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:4200-9 pubmed..Thus, targeting IL-18 expression may enhance adiponectin expression and mitigate disease progression. ..
- Chandrasekar B, Boylston W, Venkatachalam K, Webster N, Prabhu S, Valente A. Adiponectin blocks interleukin-18-mediated endothelial cell death via APPL1-dependent AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) activation and IKK/NF-kappaB/PTEN suppression. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:24889-98 pubmed publisher....
- Chandrasekar B, Nelson J, Colston J, Freeman G. Calorie restriction attenuates inflammatory responses to myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2001;280:H2094-102 pubmed..Collectively these data indicate that CR significantly attenuates myocardial oxidative stress and the postischemic inflammatory response...
- Chandrasekar B, Smith J, Freeman G. Ischemia-reperfusion of rat myocardium activates nuclear factor-KappaB and induces neutrophil infiltration via lipopolysaccharide-induced CXC chemokine. Circulation. 2001;103:2296-302 pubmed..Although KC and MIP-2 are expressed by inflammatory cells infiltrating the myocardium during reperfusion after ischemia, neutrophil recruitment to reperfused rat myocardium is mainly due to cardiomyocyte expression of LIX. ..
- Chandrasekar B, Melby P, Sarau H, Raveendran M, Perla R, Marelli Berg F, et al. Chemokine-cytokine cross-talk. The ELR+ CXC chemokine LIX (CXCL5) amplifies a proinflammatory cytokine response via a phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-NF-kappa B pathway. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:4675-86 pubmed..Thus, in addition to attracting and activating neutrophils, the ELR(+) CXC chemokines amplify the inflammatory cascade, stimulating local production of cytokines that have negative inotropic and proapoptotic effects. ..
- Chandrasekar B, Colston J, de la Rosa S, Rao P, Freeman G. TNF-alpha and H2O2 induce IL-18 and IL-18R beta expression in cardiomyocytes via NF-kappa B activation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;303:1152-8 pubmed..Presence of both ligand and receptors suggests IL-18 impacts myocardial biology through an autocrine pathway. ..
- Chandrasekar B, Marelli Berg F, Tone M, Bysani S, Prabhu S, Murray D. Beta-adrenergic stimulation induces interleukin-18 expression via beta2-AR, PI3K, Akt, IKK, and NF-kappaB. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004;319:304-11 pubmed..Similar events may occur in heart failure, a disease state characterized by sustained beta-AR activation. ..
- Chandrasekar B, Mummidi S, Valente A, Patel D, Bailey S, Freeman G, et al. The pro-atherogenic cytokine interleukin-18 induces CXCL16 expression in rat aortic smooth muscle cells via MyD88, interleukin-1 receptor-associated kinase, tumor necrosis factor receptor-associated factor 6, c-Src, phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase, Akt. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:26263-77 pubmed..These data provide for the first time a mechanism of IL-18-mediated CXCL16 gene transcription and CXCL16-dependent ASMC proliferation and suggest a role for IL-18-CXCL16 cross-talk in atherogenesis and restenosis following angioplasty. ..