R M Carnahan
Affiliation: University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
- Consistency of antidepressant and chronic nonpsychiatric medication use in a high-risk clinical populationRyan M Carnahan
The University of Oklahoma, Department of Pharmacy Clinical and Administrative Sciences, 4502 E 41st St, Suite 2H19, Tulsa, OK 74135 2512, USA
Res Social Adm Pharm 4:367-74. 2008..Although antidepressant persistence has been well described, little is known about consistency patterns...
- The Anticholinergic Drug Scale as a measure of drug-related anticholinergic burden: associations with serum anticholinergic activityRyan M Carnahan
University of Oklahoma College of Pharmacy, Department of Pharmacy, Tulsa, Oklahoma 74315 2512, USA
J Clin Pharmacol 46:1481-6. 2006..This study replicated findings on the association of the ADS with SAA. Future work will determine whether the ADS is clinically useful for preventing anticholinergic adverse effects...
- Increased risk of extrapyramidal side-effect treatment associated with atypical antipsychotic polytherapyR M Carnahan
Department of Pharmacy Clinical and Administrative Sciences, The University of Oklahoma College of Pharmacy, Tulsa, OK 74135, USA
Acta Psychiatr Scand 113:135-41. 2006..To determine whether atypical antipsychotic polytherapy is a risk factor for drug treatment for extrapyramidal side-effects (anti-EPS drugs) and whether the risk is attributable to antipsychotic dose...
- Acute ethanol intoxication after consumption of hairsprayRyan M Carnahan
Department of Clinical and Administrative Pharmacy, College of Pharmacy, University of Oklahoma, Tulsa, Oklahoma 74315 2512, USA
Pharmacotherapy 25:1646-50. 2005..The source and its components should be identified as soon as possible in order to assess other potential toxicities...
- Ziprasidone, a new atypical antipsychotic drugR M Carnahan
Clinical and Administrative Pharmacy Division, College of Pharmacy, University of Iowa, Iowa City 52242-1112, USA
Pharmacotherapy 21:717-30. 2001..In contrast, ziprasidone has a low propensity for causing weight gain. For patients requiring an antipsychotic drug, ziprasidone represents a new treatment option with a limited adverse effect profile...
- Rivastigmine-induced dystoniaClay J Pavlis
Sanford School of Medicine, University of South Dakota USD, Sioux Falls 57110, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 64:2468-70. 2007..A case of acute dystonia related to rivastigmine use is reported...
- Severe hyperlipidemia associated with olanzapine and quetiapine useRyan M Carnahan
Am J Psychiatry 164:1614-5. 2007
- Clozapine-induced leukopenia successfully treated with lithiumEric C Kutscher
College of Pharmacy, South Dakota State University, Sioux Falls, SD 57110, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 64:2027-31. 2007..A case of clozapine-induced leukopenia successfully treated with lithium is reported...
- Quetiapine for acute mania in bipolar disorderNancy C Brahm
Department of Pharmacy Clinical and Administrative Sciences, University of Oklahoma College of Pharmacy UOCP, Tulsa, OK 74135 2512, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 64:1045-53. 2007..The efficacy and tolerability of quetiapine in the treatment of acute mania were reviewed...
- The concurrent use of anticholinergics and cholinesterase inhibitors: rare event or common practice?Ryan M Carnahan
Clinical and Administrative Pharmacy, College of Pharmacy, University of Iowa, Iowa City, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 52:2082-7. 2004..To measure the prevalence of anticholinergic use cross-sectionally in patients receiving cholinesterase inhibitors and to describe change in use of anticholinergics upon inception of cholinesterase inhibitor treatment...
- Methodological concerns in a trial of ziprasidone and olanzapineRyan M Carnahan
Am J Psychiatry 162:1391; author reply 1391-2. 2005
- A critical appraisal of the utility of the serum anticholinergic activity assay in research and clinical practiceRyan M Carnahan
University of Iowa, College of Pharmacy, 415 S Pharmacy Building, Iowa City, Iowa 52242-1112, USA
Psychopharmacol Bull 36:24-39. 2002....
- Aripiprazole, a novel atypical antipsychotic drugTami R Argo
College of Pharmacy, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242-1112, USA
Pharmacotherapy 24:212-28. 2004..Patients receiving aripiprazole experienced EPS at a rate similar to that seen with placebo. Aripiprazole provides a new treatment option with limited adverse effects for patients in need of antipsychotic therapy...
- Hypomania with agitation associated with varenicline use in bipolar II disorderAnne E Morstad
Ann Pharmacother 42:288-9. 2008
- The association of weight gain and olanzapine plasma concentrationsPaul J Perry
Department of Clinical and Administrative Pharmacy, College of Pharmacy, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 25:250-4. 2005..The association of weight gain with plasma concentrations during treatment with olanzapine may support the utilization of plasma drug concentration as a marker for antipsychotic-induced weight gain in the treatment of schizophrenia...