Genomes and Genes
Karen L Carleton
Affiliation: University of New Hampshire
- Cone opsin genes of african cichlid fishes: tuning spectral sensitivity by differential gene expressionK L Carleton
Department of Zoology Program in Genetics, University of New Hampshire, Durham 03824, USA
Mol Biol Evol 18:1540-50. 2001..compressiceps expresses a different set to produce a red-shifted visual system. Thus, variations in cichlid spectral sensitivity have arisen through evolution of gene regulation, rather than through changes in opsin amino acid sequence...
- Colour vision and speciation in Lake Victoria cichlids of the genus PundamiliaKaren L Carleton
Hubbard Center for Genome Studies and Department of Zoology, 35 Colovos Rd, University of New Hampshire Durham, NH 03824, USA
Mol Ecol 14:4341-53. 2005..However, other factors, such as chromophore shifts and higher order neural processing, should also be investigated to fully understand the physiological basis of differential responses to male mating hues in cichlid fish...
- Rod and cone opsin families differ in spectral tuning domains but not signal transducing domains as judged by saturated evolutionary trace analysisKaren L Carleton
Hubbard Center for Genome Studies, University of New Hampshire, Durham, NH 03824, USA
J Mol Evol 61:75-89. 2005....
- Rapid isolation of CA microsatellites from the tilapia genomeK L Carleton
Hubbard Center for Genome Studies, University of New Hampshire, Durham, NH 03824, UK
Anim Genet 33:140-4. 2002..This work demonstrates the importance of minimizing the number of polymerase chain reaction (PCR) amplification cycles before and after the enrichment steps to reduce PCR recombination and the generation of chimaeric clones...
- Adaptive molecular evolution in the opsin genes of rapidly speciating cichlid speciesTyrone C Spady
Hubbard Center for Genome Studies and Department of Zoology, University of New Hampshire, NH, USA
Mol Biol Evol 22:1412-22. 2005..This work also begins to demonstrate the molecular evolutionary dynamics of cichlid visual sensitivity and its relationship to the photic environment...
- Evolution of the cichlid visual palette through ontogenetic subfunctionalization of the opsin gene arraysTyrone C Spady
Hubbard Center for Genome Studies and Department of Zoology, University of New Hampshire, London, UK
Mol Biol Evol 23:1538-47. 2006..The distinct peak absorbances of these preserved opsin genes provide a palette from which selection creates the diverse visual sensitivities found among the cichlid species of the lacustrine adaptive radiations...
- A BAC-based physical map of the Nile tilapia genomeTakayuki Katagiri
Hubbard Center for Genome Studies, University of New Hampshire, Durham, New Hampshire 03824, USA
BMC Genomics 6:89. 2005..Physical maps linking collections of BAC clones are a critical resource for both positional cloning and assembly of whole genome sequences...
- Sea urchin tube feet are photosensory organs that express a rhabdomeric-like opsin and PAX6Michael P Lesser
Department of Molecular, Cellular and Biomedical Sciences, University of New Hampshire, Durham, NH 03824, USA
Proc Biol Sci 278:3371-9. 2011....
- Identification of amino acid residues responsible for the selectivity of tadalafil binding to two closely related phosphodiesterases, PDE5 and PDE6Karyn B Cahill
Department of Molecular, Cellular and Biomedical Sciences University of New Hampshire, Durham, New Hampshire 03824, USA
J Biol Chem 287:41406-16. 2012....
- Quantification of vitellogenin-mRNA during maturation and breeding of a burying beetleMichelle Pellissier Scott
Department of Zoology and Hubbard Center for Genome Studies, University of New Hampshire, 46 College Rd, Durham, NH 03824, USA
J Insect Physiol 51:323-31. 2005..Partial regression of these variables (with the effect of time removed) indicated that JH was not correlated with mRNA, hemolymph Vg, or ovarian weight at any time. Thus the role of JH as a gonadotropin remains unclear...
- Mix and match color vision: tuning spectral sensitivity by differential opsin gene expression in Lake Malawi cichlidsJuliet W L Parry
Institute of Ophthalmology, University College London, London EC1V 9EL, United Kingdom
Curr Biol 15:1734-9. 2005..However, African cichlids determine their spectral sensitivity by differential expression of primarily only three of the seven available cone opsin genes. Phylogenetic analysis suggests that all percomorph fish have similar potential...
- Visual sensitivities tuned by heterochronic shifts in opsin gene expressionKaren L Carleton
Department of Biology, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA
BMC Biol 6:22. 2008..These shifts result from modulated expression of seven cone opsin genes. However, the mechanisms for this modulated expression are unknown...
- Speciation through sensory drive in cichlid fishOle Seehausen
Institute of Zoology, University of Bern, Baltzerstr 6, CH 3012 Bern, Switzerland
Nature 455:620-6. 2008..Our results also provide a mechanistic explanation for the collapse of cichlid fish species diversity during the anthropogenic eutrophication of Lake Victoria...
- Rose-colored gogglesKaren L Carleton
Heredity (Edinb) 90:116-7. 2003
- A second-generation genetic linkage map of tilapia (Oreochromis spp.)Bo Young Lee
Hubbard Center for Genome Studies, University of New Hampshire, Durham, 03824, USA
Genetics 170:237-44. 2005....