Affiliation: University of Hawaii
- BAP1 and cancerMichele Carbone
University of Hawaii Cancer Center, BSB200, 701 Ilalo Street, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813, USA
Nat Rev Cancer 13:153-9. 2013....
- BAP1 cancer syndrome: malignant mesothelioma, uveal and cutaneous melanoma, and MBAITsMichele Carbone
University of Hawai i Cancer Center, 677 Ala Moana Boulevard, Suite 901, Honolulu, HI 96813, USA
J Transl Med 10:179. 2012....
- Erionite exposure in North Dakota and Turkish villages with mesotheliomaMichele Carbone
University of Hawaii Cancer Center, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI 96813, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:13618-23. 2011..Our findings indicate that implementation of novel preventive and early detection programs in ND and other erionite-rich areas of the United States, similar to efforts currently being undertaken in Turkey, is warranted...
- Programmed necrosis induced by asbestos in human mesothelial cells causes high-mobility group box 1 protein release and resultant inflammationHaining Yang
Cancer Research Center of Hawaii, John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI 96813, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:12611-6. 2010..Chemopreventive approaches aimed at inhibiting the chronic inflammatory response, and especially blocking HMGB1, may decrease the risk of malignant mesothelioma among asbestos-exposed cohorts...
- Cancer cell secretion of the DAMP protein HMGB1 supports progression in malignant mesotheliomaSandro Jube
University of Hawai i Cancer Center, John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawai i, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813, USA
Cancer Res 72:3290-301. 2012....
- CSPG4 as a target of antibody-based immunotherapy for malignant mesotheliomaZeyana Rivera
University of Hawai i Cancer Center, HI, USA
Clin Cancer Res 18:5352-63. 2012..Therefore, we explored CSPG4 as a suitable target for monoclonal antibody (mAb)-based immunotherapy for MM...
- Mesothelioma epidemiology, carcinogenesis, and pathogenesisHaining Yang
Cancer Research Center of Hawaii, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI 96813, USA
Curr Treat Options Oncol 9:147-57. 2008..It is hoped that the identification of this putative mesothelioma gene will lead to novel mechanistically driven preventive and therapeutic approaches...
- A mesothelioma epidemic in Cappadocia: scientific developments and unexpected social outcomesMichele Carbone
Cancer Research Center of Hawaii, Thoracic Oncology Program, Honolulu, Hawaii 96816, USA
Nat Rev Cancer 7:147-54. 2007....
- Ranpirnase Interferes with NF-κB Pathway and MMP9 Activity, Inhibiting Malignant Mesothelioma Cell Invasiveness and Xenograft GrowthMasaki Nasu
University of Hawai i Cancer Center, University of Hawai i at Manoa, Honolulu, HI, USA
Genes Cancer 2:576-84. 2011..It is hoped that this information will also facilitate the identification of those patients who are more likely to benefit from this drug and will also open a new frontier for the use of this drug in tumor types other than MM...
- Tissue Tropism of SV40 Transformation of Human Cells: Role of the Viral Regulatory Region and of Cellular OncogenesLei Zhang
University of Hawai i Cancer Center, Honolulu, HI, USA
Genes Cancer 1:1008-20. 2010..Our results provide a biological rationale to the observation that 1ESV40 is prevalently detected in brain tumors and wtSV40 in mesotheliomas...
- The relationship between simian virus 40 and mesotheliomaZeyana Rivera
Cancer Research Center of Hawaii and Department of Pathology, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Curr Opin Pulm Med 14:316-21. 2008..Simian virus 40 is present in some human malignant mesotheliomas. The evidence in favor and against a pathogenic role of simian virus 40 in malignant mesothelioma is discussed in this review...
- Simian virus 40 transformation, malignant mesothelioma and brain tumorsFang Qi
University of Hawaii Cancer Center, Honolulu, HI, USA
Expert Rev Respir Med 5:683-97. 2011..However, it seems possible that SV40 may act as a cofactor in the pathogenesis of some tumors. In vitro and animal experiments showing cocarcinogenicity between SV40 and asbestos support this hypothesis...
- Chemotherapy of malignant pleural mesotheliomaPietro Bertino
Cancer Research Center of Hawaii and Department of Pathology, University of Hawaii, 651 Ilalo Street, BSB Room 231, Honolulu, HI 96813, USA
Expert Opin Pharmacother 10:99-107. 2009..Although the outcome for patients remains poor, there has been definite progress in the systemic treatment of this disease within the past 5 years...
- Molecular pathways: targeting mechanisms of asbestos and erionite carcinogenesis in mesotheliomaMichele Carbone
University of Hawaii Cancer Center, John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Clin Cancer Res 18:598-604. 2012..The very recent discovery that germline BAP1 mutations cause a new cancer syndrome characterized by mesothelioma, uveal melanoma, and melanocytic tumors provides researchers with a novel target for prevention and early detection...
- Malignant mesothelioma: facts, myths, and hypothesesMichele Carbone
University of Hawaii Cancer Center, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813, USA
J Cell Physiol 227:44-58. 2012..Genetic predisposition, radiation exposure and viral infection are co-factors that can alone or together with asbestos and erionite cause MM. J. Cell. Physiol. 227: 44-58, 2012. © 2011 Wiley Periodicals, Inc...
- A novel mechanism of late gene silencing drives SV40 transformation of human mesothelial cellsMichele Carbone
Thoracic Oncology Program, Cancer Center of Hawaii and Department of Pathology, University of Hawaii Medical School, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813, USA
Cancer Res 68:9488-96. 2008..Our results reveal a novel biological mechanism responsible for the suppression of late viral gene products, an important step in viral carcinogenesis in humans...
- The pathogenesis of mesotheliomaMichele Carbone
Thoracic Oncology Program, Cancer Research Center of Hawaii, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813, USA
Semin Diagn Pathol 23:56-60. 2006..Moreover, these data provide a rationale for the observation that only a fraction of heavily exposed asbestos workers developed mesothelioma, and novel targets for prevention and therapy...