Affiliation: University of California
- Proposal for a bipolar-stimulant spectrum: temperament, diagnostic validation and therapeutic outcomes with mood stabilizersAlvaro Camacho
International Mood Center, Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego UCSD, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093 0603R, USA
J Affect Disord 85:217-30. 2005..Accordingly, if bipolarity is ever considered in this interface, it usually pertains to syndromal bipolar I disorder...
- Is anxious-depression an inflammatory state?Alvaro Camacho
Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, University of California, San Diego, United States Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, United States Electronic address
Med Hypotheses 81:577-81. 2013..This hypothesis might help to investigate how different levels of inflammatory biomarkers could be correlated with symptoms of anxious-depression. ..
- Crisis visits and psychiatric hospitalizations among patients attending a community clinic in rural Southern CaliforniaAlvaro Camacho
Imperial County Behavioral Health, El Centro, CA, USA
Community Ment Health J 48:133-7. 2012..These data elucidate the need for longitudinal studies to understand the interactions between psychosocial stressors, ethnicity and social support as determinants of psychiatric hospitalizations...
- A factor analysis of different temperament domains in a border region in rural Southern CaliforniaAlvaro Camacho
Sun Valley Behavioral and Research Center, Imperial, CA, USA
J Affect Disord 126:46-8. 2010..Understanding of these temperaments can help understanding psychiatric status and therapeutic needs of a patient population. As the Latino population grows providers need to become more familiar with their psychiatric status...
- Use of GHB compounds by HIV-positive individualsAlvaro Camacho
Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of California San Diego, 8677 Villa La Jolla Drive, 1106, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Am J Addict 13:120-7. 2004..More controlled studies are needed to evaluate long-term effects of dietary compounds containing GHB, especially among HIV-positive individuals who are actively receiving antiretroviral treatment...
- Ethnicity and use of alternative products in psychiatric patientsBernardo Ng
Sun Valley Behavioral Medical Center, 300 S Imperial Ave, Suite 9, El Centro, CA 92243, USA
Psychosomatics 47:408-13. 2006..These results may increase awareness among healthcare providers regarding the usage frequency of such complementary/alternative medications products and the different usage patterns across ethnic groups...
- A case series on the hypothesized connection between dementia and bipolar spectrum disorders: bipolar type VI?Bernardo Ng
International Mood Center, and Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
J Affect Disord 107:307-15. 2008....
- Methylphenidate for alpha-interferon induced depressionAlvaro Camacho
Sun Valley Behavioral Medical Center and Imperial County Behavioral Health Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
J Psychopharmacol 20:687-9. 2006..This report provides further clinical evidence that the neurovegetative symptoms of depression might respond better to a norepinephrine uptake inhibitor or psycho-stimulants...
- Use of GHB compounds among college studentsAlvaro Camacho
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, California 92093 0804, USA
Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 31:601-7. 2005..GHB compounds are commonly used among college students. Given the different reasons for use according to gender and sexual orientation, prevention programs need to sculpt their message according to the target audience...
- Use of herbal medications among 200 psychiatric outpatients: prevalence, patterns of use, and potential dangersScott C Matthews
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, San Diego, CA, USA
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 25:24-6. 2003..These data are consistent with reports from other patient populations. It is important for psychiatrists to ask all patients about their use of herbs and provide education about potentially dangerous drug-herb interactions...
- Depression treatment in rural California: preliminary survey of nonpsychiatric physiciansBernardo Ng
Sun Valley Behavioral Medical Center, El Centro, CA, USA
J Rural Health 18:556-62. 2002..The results of this study support the need for enhanced postgraduate training in the treatment of depression for nonpsychiatric physicians, and greater exposure of psychiatric residents to rural psychiatry...
- The internet for medical information about cancer: help or hindrance?Scott C Matthews
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, USA
Psychosomatics 44:100-3. 2003..The authors tested a strategy for screening Internet sites to identify those that provide scientifically accurate information regarding complementary/alternative medicine treatments commonly used by cancer patients...
- To what factors do rural-dwelling hispanics attribute depressive symptoms?Ipsit V Vahia
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, CA 92093, USA Sun Valley Behavioral and Research Center, Imperial, CA 92251, USA Sam and Rose Stein Institute for Research on Aging, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Depress Res Treat 2013:781986. 2013..Among Hispanics, depression severity was additionally associated with problems related to job or finances. Our findings point to a consequential role for clinical inquiry into attributed causes of depressive symptoms...
- Use of risperidone long-acting injectable in a rural border community clinic in southern californiaAlvaro Camacho
Drs Camacho and Ng are with the Imperial County Behavioral Health, El Centro, California, the Sun Valley Research Center, Imperial, California, and the Department of Psychiatry University of California, San Diego
Psychiatry (Edgmont) 5:43-9. 2008..Additionally, it adds to the burden cost of providing mental health services in underserved rural areas. Long-term injectable antipsychotics are considered a valuable tool to counteract medication nonadherence...
- Modafinil for social phobia and amphetamine dependenceAlvaro Camacho
Am J Psychiatry 159:1947-8. 2002