Affiliation: University of Texas Medical Branch
- Comparison of physician-, biomarker-, and symptom-based strategies for adjustment of inhaled corticosteroid therapy in adults with asthma: the BASALT randomized controlled trialWilliam J Calhoun
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555, USA
JAMA 308:987-97. 2012..Approaches include adjustment at outpatient visits guided by physician assessment of asthma control (symptoms, rescue therapy, pulmonary function), based on exhaled nitric oxide, or on a day-to-day basis guided by symptoms...
- Molecular phenotyping of severe asthma using pattern recognition of bronchoalveolar lavage-derived cytokinesAllan R Brasier
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555 1060, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 121:30-37.e6. 2008..Asthma is a heterogeneous clinical disorder. Methods for objective identification of disease subtypes will focus on clinical interventions and help identify causative pathways. Few studies have explored phenotypes at a molecular level...
- Lung function in adults with stable but severe asthma: air trapping and incomplete reversal of obstruction with bronchodilationRonald L Sorkness
Univ of Wisconsin, 777 Highland Ave, Madison, WI 53705, USA
J Appl Physiol 104:394-403. 2008..We conclude that air trapping is a characteristic feature of the severe asthma population, suggesting that there is a pathological process associated with severe asthma that makes airways more vulnerable to this component...
- Characterization of the severe asthma phenotype by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute's Severe Asthma Research ProgramWendy C Moore
Center for Human Genomics, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 119:405-13. 2007..Severe asthma causes the majority of asthma morbidity. Understanding mechanisms that contribute to the development of severe disease is important...
- IL4R alpha mutations are associated with asthma exacerbations and mast cell/IgE expressionSally E Wenzel
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 175:570-6. 2007..However, an effect on exacerbations and tissue inflammation has not been shown...
- Alterations in nitric oxide and cytokine production with airway inflammation in the absence of IL-10Bill T Ameredes
Asthma, Allergy, and Airway Research Center, Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 3459 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
J Immunol 175:1206-13. 2005..Inhibition of IL-4 production, with inhibition of NOS in the absence of IL-10, demonstrated the importance of a NO and IL-4 feedback mechanism regulating this interaction...
- Alterations of the arginine metabolome in asthmaAbigail Lara
Department of Pathobiology, The Cleveland Clinic, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 178:673-81. 2008..As the sole nitrogen donor in nitric oxide (NO) synthesis and key intermediate in the urea cycle, arginine and its metabolic pathways are integrally linked to cellular respiration, metabolism, and inflammation...
- Airway lipoxin A4 generation and lipoxin A4 receptor expression are decreased in severe asthmaAnna Planagumà
Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Division, Department of Internal Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 75 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 178:574-82. 2008..Airway inflammation is common in severe asthma despite antiinflammatory therapy with corticosteroids. Lipoxin A(4) (LXA(4)) is an arachidonic acid-derived mediator that serves as an agonist for resolution of inflammation...
- Non-invasive measurements of exhaled NO and CO associated with methacholine responses in miceJigme M Sethi
Division of Allergy, Pulmonary, Immunology, Critical Care and Sleep Division, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston TX 77755 1083, USA
Respir Res 9:45. 2008..Therefore, obtaining their measures simply, non-invasively, and repeatedly, is of interest, and was the purpose of the current study...
- Asthma variability in patients previously treated with beta2-agonists aloneWilliam J Calhoun
Division of Pulmonary Allergy, and Critical Care Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 112:1088-94. 2003..Although it is widely believed that patients might not remain consistently in any given severity category over time, few studies have examined this directly...
- Enhanced nitric oxide production associated with airway hyporesponsiveness in the absence of IL-10Bill T Ameredes
Asthma, Allergy, and Airway Research Center, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 288:L868-73. 2005..These findings suggest that airway NO production can modulate airway smooth muscle contractility, resulting in airway hyporesponsiveness when IL-10 is absent...
- Nebulized arformoterol in patients with COPD: a 12-week, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, double-dummy, placebo- and active-controlled trialRudolf A Baumgartner
Sepracor Inc, Marlborough, Massachusetts 01752, USA
Clin Ther 29:261-78. 2007....
- Regarding "Differential control of T(H)1 versus T(H)2 cell responses by the combination of low-dose steroids with beta(2)-adrenergic agonists"Jason H C Friesen
J Allergy Clin Immunol 115:424; author reply 425. 2005
- Superoxide dismutase inactivation in pathophysiology of asthmatic airway remodeling and reactivitySuzy A A Comhair
Department of Pathobiology, The Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Am J Pathol 166:663-74. 2005..These findings link oxidative and nitrative stress to loss of SOD activity and downstream events that typify asthma, including apoptosis and shedding of the airway epithelium and hyperresponsiveness...
- (R)-albuterol for asthma: pro [a.k.a. (S)-albuterol for asthma: con]Bill T Ameredes
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 174:965-9; discussion 972-4. 2006..presented further refines the question as "Do we wish to continue to treat asthma with a mixture of albuterol, of which half is an agent with no known benefit--that is, (S)-albuterol--and which may exacerbate the disease?"..
- The role of leukotrienes in airway inflammationYoshiko Ogawa
Division of Allergy, Pulmonary, Immunology, Critical Care, and Sleep APICS, University of Texas Medical Branch, TX 77555 0561, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 118:789-98; quiz 799-800. 2006..Genetic polymorphisms and environmental factors, such as tobacco smoke exposure, might underlie some of the heterogeneity of response to LT blockers...
- Inhibition of phosphodiesterase 4 amplifies cytokine-dependent induction of arginase in macrophagesAaron Erdely
Dept of Molecular Genetics and Biochemistry, W1255 Biomedical Science Tower, Univ of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 290:L534-9. 2006..Therefore, consequences of increased arginase expression should be evaluated whenever PDE inhibitors are proposed for treatment of inflammatory disorders in which IL-4 and/or TGF-beta predominate...
- Nocturnal asthmaWilliam J Calhoun
Asthma, Allergy, and Airway Research Center, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Chest 123:399S-405S. 2003..The treatment of asthma with effective controller agents can reduce nighttime symptoms, improve psychometric outcomes, and improve QOL...
- The Role of IL-10 in Regulation of Allergic InflammationBILL AMEREDES; Fiscal Year: 2005..This information will provide direct evidence of the role of IL-10 in regulating allergic inflammation, and will help to ascertain the relationships between inflammation and airway hyperresponsiveness. ..
- ASTHMA CLINICAL RESEARCH NETWORKWilliam Calhoun; Fiscal Year: 2007..Pitt strongly supports collaborative, clinical network research. Data from the DART and ESTA trials can help to improve the care of patients with asthma. ..
- Mechanisms of Steroid Resistance in Severe AsthmaWilliam Calhoun; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..