Lesley M Butler
Affiliation: University of California
- Dietary fiber and reduced cough with phlegm: a cohort study in SingaporeLesley M Butler
Epidemiology Branch, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 170:279-87. 2004..These data suggest that a diet high in fiber from fruit and, possibly, soyfoods may reduce the incidence of chronic respiratory symptoms. Associated nutrients, such as flavonoids, may contribute to this association...
- Marine n-3 and saturated fatty acids in relation to risk of colorectal cancer in Singapore Chinese: a prospective studyLesley M Butler
Department of Public Health Sciences, University of California Davis, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Int J Cancer 124:678-86. 2009..62, 95% CI=0.29-1.34, p for trend=0.55). Our findings suggest that subtypes of fatty acids may differentially influence risk of colorectal cancer of a specified stage...
- Prospective study of dietary patterns and colorectal cancer among Singapore ChineseL M Butler
Division of Epidemiology, Department of Public Health Sciences, University of California Davis, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Br J Cancer 99:1511-6. 2008..In conclusion, neither individual nutrients or foods nor dietary patterns appear to explain the rise in colorectal cancer among Singapore Chinese population...
- Menstrual and reproductive factors in relation to mammographic density: the Study of Women's Health Across the Nation (SWAN)Lesley M Butler
Division of Epidemiology, Department of Public Health Sciences, University of California at Davis, One Shields Avenue, 1616 DaVinci Court, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 112:165-74. 2008..2, P<0.01 for >or=3 births versus no births). Our data support a mechanism for parity and breast cancer that involves mammographic density among pre- and early perimenopausal women that may be modified by body size...
- Modification by N-acetyltransferase 1 genotype on the association between dietary heterocyclic amines and colon cancer in a multiethnic studyLesley M Butler
University of California Davis, Department of Public Health Sciences, Division of Epidemiology, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Mutat Res 638:162-74. 2008....
- Ancestry informative marker sets for determining continental origin and admixture proportions in common populations in AmericaRoman Kosoy
Rowe Program in Human Genetics, Department of Biochemistry, University of California Davis, Davis, California 95616, USA
Hum Mutat 30:69-78. 2009..We conclude that investigators can use TaqMan assays for the selected AIMs as a simple and cost efficient tool to control for differences in continental ancestry when conducting association studies in ethnically diverse populations...
- Prospective study of dietary patterns and persistent cough with phlegm among Chinese SingaporeansLesley M Butler
Division of Epidemiology, Department of Public Health Sciences, University of California, Davis, California, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 173:264-70. 2006..CONCLUSION: A diet rich in meats, sodium, and refined carbohydrates may increase risk of developing cough with phlegm, independently of the apparent beneficial effects of a diet high in fiber in this Singapore Chinese cohort...
- Joint effects between UDP-glucuronosyltransferase 1A7 genotype and dietary carcinogen exposure on risk of colon cancerLesley M Butler
Department of Public Health Sciences, Division of Epidemiology, University of California, Davis, California, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 14:1626-32. 2005..2-4.8), compared with less than the median daily intake and UGT1A7 high/intermediate genotypes. These data suggest that the associations among cooked meat-derived compound exposure, and colon cancer are modified by the UGT1A7 genotype...
- Hepatitis B knowledge and vaccination levels in California Hmong youth: implications for liver cancer prevention strategiesLesley M Butler
Department of Public Health Sciences, Division of Epidemiology, University of California Davis Cancer Center, 4501 X Street, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 6:401-3. 2005..We also observed very low prevalence of HBV vaccination (12%), although a majority reported knowing that shots can prevent disease (68%). Liver cancer prevention and control methods targeted to Hmong youth are needed...
- An ancestry informative marker set for determining continental origin: validation and extension using human genome diversity panelsRami Nassir
Rowe Program in Human Genetics, Departments of Biochemistry and Medicine, University of California Davis, Davis, CA 95616, USA
BMC Genet 10:39. 2009..Previously, we described a panel of 128 SNP AIMs that were designed as a tool for ascertaining the origins of subjects from Europe, Sub-Saharan Africa, Americas, and East Asia...
- On previous findings concerning preserved meat intake and respiratory diseaseLesley M Butler
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 176:315; author reply 316. 2007
- UGT1A1 and UGT1A9 functional variants, meat intake, and colon cancer, among Caucasians and African-AmericansHugo Girard
Pharmacogenomics Laboratory, CHUQ Research Center and Faculty of Pharmacy, Laval University, G1V 4G2 Quebec, Canada
Mutat Res 644:56-63. 2008..7 ng/day and combined high/intermediate genotypes. These data support a hypothesis that UGTs modify the association between meat-derived PAH exposure and colon cancer by their role in the elimination of dietary carcinogens...
- Physical activity and mammographic density in a cohort of midlife womenNina Oestreicher
Kaiser Permanente Division of Research, Oakland, CA 94612, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 40:451-6. 2008..Physical activity (PA) is one of few modifiable breast cancer risk factors. There have been few studies of the relation between PA and mammographic density, especially in multiethnic populations...
- Cancer Incidence among Transplant Recipients:1990-2001LESLEY BUTLER; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..