Affiliation: University of California
- Forensic assessment of illness falsification, Munchausen by proxy, and factitious disorder, NOSMary J Sanders
Division of Child Psychiatry at Stanford University Medical School, USA
Child Maltreat 7:112-24. 2002..a) Is there evidence that child abuse did occur? (b) Does the alleged perpetrator meet criteria forfactitious disorder, NOS (or factitious disorder by proxy)? and (c) What management and treatment recommendations should be made?..
- Relationship between medical student perceptions of mistreatment and mistreatment sensitivityBrenda Bursch
David Geffen School of Medicine, UCLA, CA, USA
Med Teach 35:e998-1002. 2013..National statistics reveal that efforts to reduce medical student mistreatment have been largely ineffective. Some hypothesize that as supervisors gain skills in professionalism, medical students become more sensitive...
- Psychosocial predictors of somatic symptoms in adolescents of parents with HIV: a six-year longitudinal studyB Bursch
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, US
AIDS Care 20:667-76. 2008....
- Parent perceptions of the psychological functioning of their children diagnosed with pediatric motility disorders and that of family membersBrenda Bursch
Pediatric Psychiatry Consultation Service, David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California, Los Angeles 90024 1759, USA
Gastroenterol Nurs 29:209-16. 2006..The majority of referrals to mental health professionals resulted from parental emotional problems or marital discord...
- Preliminary validation of a self-efficacy scale for child functioning despite chronic pain (child and parent versions)Brenda Bursch
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, Division of Child Psychiatry, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Pain 125:35-42. 2006..Replication with a larger sample size, more complex modeling, and prospective studies are indicated...
- Chronic pain in individuals with previously undiagnosed autistic spectrum disordersBrenda Bursch
Department of Pediatrics, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, University of California Los Angeles, 760 Westwood Plaza, Los Angeles, CA 90024 1759, USA
J Pain 5:290-5. 2004..Clinical evaluation for ASDs should be considered in patients with specific unusual characteristics. Research on the topic of ASDs and pain is encouraged...
- Role of anticipatory anxiety and anxiety sensitivity in children's and adolescents' laboratory pain responsesJennie C I Tsao
National Rural Behavioral Health Center, Department of Clinical and Health Psychology, College of Health Professions, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32610 0165, USA
J Pediatr Psychol 29:379-88. 2004..To examine relationships among trait anxiety sensitivity, state task-specific anticipatory anxiety, and laboratory pain responses in healthy children and adolescents...
- Developmental predictors of somatic symptoms in adolescents of parents with HIV: a 12-month follow-upPatricia Lester
Center for Community, Department of Psychiatry, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
J Dev Behav Pediatr 24:242-50. 2003..Adolescents with school problems are particularly vulnerable, at least in the short run. These data support a family-based approach to treatment programs for adolescents with increased levels of somatic distress...
- Family-based processes associated with adolescent distress, substance use and risky sexual behavior in families affected by maternal HIVPatricia Lester
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, University of California at Los Angeles, 760 Westwood Plaza, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol 39:328-40. 2010..Finally, maternal distress indirectly affected adolescent distress and risk behavior via youth aggressive conflict resolution style...
- Visceral pain-associated disability syndrome: a descriptive analysisPaul E Hyman
University of Kansas School of Medicine, Kansas City, Kansas, USA
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 35:663-8. 2002..The aim of this study is to describe the features of a group of pediatric patients with abdominal symptoms fitting this diagnosis...
- Laboratory pain reactivity and gender: relationship to school nurse visits and school absencesJennie C I Tsao
NIMH Center for the Study of Emotion and Attention, Department of Clinical and Health Psychology, University of Florida, Gainesville, 32610, USA
J Dev Behav Pediatr 23:217-24. 2002..Limitations and pathways for further study are discussed...
- Further thoughts on "Beyond Munchausen by proxy: identification and treatment of child abuse in a medical setting"Brenda Bursch
Pediatrics 121:444-5; author reply 445. 2008
- Discriminating pediatric condition falsification from chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction in toddlersPaul E Hyman
Kansas University Medical Center, USA
Child Maltreat 7:132-7. 2002..These results suggest that a diagnosis of pediatric condition falsification may be suspected in toddlers presenting with a phenotype for enteric neuromuscular disorders by features in the clinical history, symptoms, and signs...