Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Michigan
- Photoreceptor degeneration and rd1 mutation in the grizzled/mocha mouse strainXiaoxi Qiao
Department of Cellular Biology and Anatomy, LSU Health Sciences Center, 1501 Kings Highway, P O Box 33932, Shreveport, LA 71130 3932, USA
Vision Res 43:859-65. 2003..We conclude that rd1 allele contamination is primarily responsible for photoreceptor degeneration, and caution against behavioral tests with visual cues in the present stocks...
- Psychiatric genetics: progress amid controversyMargit Burmeister
Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience Institute, University of Michigan, 5061 BSRB, 109 Zina Pitcher Place, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 2200, USA
Nat Rev Genet 9:527-40. 2008..More attention on unique families, rare variants, and on incorporating environment and the emerging knowledge of biological function and pathways into genetic analysis is warranted...
- Untangling genetic networks of panic, phobia, fear and anxietySandra Villafuerte
Mental Health Research Institute, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan MI 48109 0720, USA
Genome Biol 4:224. 2003..Recent reports have started to untangle the genetic relationships between predispositions to anxiety and anxiety disorders...
- Family-based association analysis to finemap bipolar linkage peak on chromosome 8q24 using 2,500 genotyped SNPs and 15,000 imputed SNPsPeng Zhang
Center for Computational Medicine and Bioinformatics Center for Statistical Genetics, Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Bipolar Disord 12:786-92. 2010..We performed a detailed association analysis assessing the contribution of common genetic variation in this region to the risk of BP...
- Serotonin transporter and GABAA alpha 6 receptor variants are associated with neuroticismSrijan Sen
Neuroscience Program, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0720, USA
Biol Psychiatry 55:244-9. 2004..A GABA(A) receptor alpha6 subunit variant (Pro385Ser) has been associated with alcohol-related traits but has not been studied in neuroticism or depression...
- PER3 polymorphism and insomnia severity in alcohol dependenceKirk J Brower
Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Sleep 35:571-7. 2012..We hypothesized that the PER3 polymorphism would be an independent predictor of insomnia severity with greatest severity observed in those with the PER3(4/4)genotype...
- Expression of Caytaxin protein in Cayman Ataxia mouse models correlates with phenotype severityKristine M Sikora
Program in Cellular and Molecular Biology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e50570. 2012..Utilizing these animal models of human Cayman Ataxia will now allow an in-depth analysis to elucidate Caytaxin's role in maintaining normal neuronal function...
- Bayesian EM algorithm for scoring polymorphic deletions from SNP data and application to a common CNV on 8q24Sebastian Zollner
Department of Biostatistics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 2029, USA
Genet Epidemiol 33:357-68. 2009..Finally, we assessed the power of this algorithm to detect shorter CNVs by sub-sampling from the SNPs covered by this deletion, demonstrating that our EM algorithm produces precise estimates of carrier status...
- Hardy-Weinberg analysis of a large set of published association studies reveals genotyping error and a deficit of heterozygotes across multiple lociSrijan Sen
Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience Institute, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Hum Genomics 3:36-52. 2008..For SNPs, HWD tends to be due to a deficit of heterozygotes, indicating that allelic dropout may be the most prevalent genotyping error...
- Meta-analysis of the association between a serotonin transporter promoter polymorphism (5-HTTLPR) and anxiety-related personality traitsSrijan Sen
Neuroscience Program, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 127:85-9. 2004....
- BDNF Val66Met allele is associated with reduced hippocampal volume in healthy subjectsJoshua A Bueller
Mental Health Research Institute, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Biol Psychiatry 59:812-5. 2006....
- The serotonin transporter promoter variant (5-HTTLPR), stress, and depression meta-analysis revisited: evidence of genetic moderationKatja Karg
Department of Human Genetics, University of Wuerzburg, Wuerzburg, Germany
Arch Gen Psychiatry 68:444-54. 2011..However, even the larger of the meta-analyses included only 14 of the 56 studies that have assessed the relationship between 5-HTTLPR, stress, and depression...
- Genome-wide association and meta-analysis of bipolar disorder in individuals of European ancestryLaura J Scott
Department of Biostatistics and Center for Statistical Genetics, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:7501-6. 2009..37, P = 0.042). Although these results are promising, analysis of additional samples will be required to confirm that variant(s) in these regions influence BP risk...
- MicroRNA expression changes in lymphoblastoid cell lines in response to lithium treatmentHaiming Chen
Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 12:975-81. 2009..Our results suggest that miRNAs are excellent candidates for the study of the molecular basis of Li's treatment action in cell systems such as lymphocytes given limited access to the human brain...
- SSRI response in depression may be influenced by SNPs in HTR1B and HTR1ASandra M Villafuerte
Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience Institute, Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 2200, USA
Psychiatr Genet 19:281-91. 2009..Variations in gene expression in these genes may thus affect SSRI response...
- A BDNF coding variant is associated with the NEO personality inventory domain neuroticism, a risk factor for depressionSrijan Sen
Neuroscience Program, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 28:397-401. 2003
- Serotonin transporter gene, stress and raphe-raphe interactions: a molecular mechanism of depressionAgnes J Jasinska
Department of Psychology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Trends Neurosci 35:395-402. 2012..In particular, the recently characterized stressor-responsive serotonergic interneurons originating from the dorsolateral DR may hold a key to unlocking the GxE mechanism of depression...
- Association between Val66Met brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) gene polymorphism and post-treatment relapse in alcohol dependenceMarcin Wojnar
Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 33:693-702. 2009..The purpose of this study was to examine relationships between genetic markers of central serotonin (5-HT) and dopamine function, and risk for post-treatment relapse, in a sample of alcohol-dependent patients...
- Genetic research on complex behaviors: an examination of attempts to identify genes for smokingOvide F Pomerleau
Nicotine Research Laboratory, Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48105, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 9:883-901. 2007..These proceedings are excerpts based on the presentations at the conference...
- Association between a dopamine-4 receptor polymorphism and blood pressureSrijan Sen
Neuroscience Program, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48106, USA
Am J Hypertens 18:1206-10. 2005..The long allele (defined as at least one 7 to 10 repeat) has been associated with the personality trait Novelty Seeking and with substance abuse, but associations between dopamine-4 receptor polymorphisms and BP have not been reported...
- BDNF Val(66) Met genotype is associated with drug-seeking phenotypes in heroin-dependent individuals: a pilot studyMark K Greenwald
Substance Abuse Research Division, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neurosciences, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI, USA Department of Psychiatry, and Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience Institute, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA Department of Pharmacology, College of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Toledo, Toledo, OH, USA
Addict Biol 18:836-45. 2013..Whether this genotype is relevant to other abused substances besides opioids or nicotine, or treatment response, remains to be determined. ..
- Tissue-specific functional networks for prioritizing phenotype and disease genesYuanfang Guan
Department of Computational Medicine and Bioinformatics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
PLoS Comput Biol 8:e1002694. 2012..Our systems-level, tissue-specific scheme advances over traditional global integration and analyses and establishes a prototype to address the tissue-specific effects of genetic perturbations, diseases and drugs...
- Dominant mutation of CCDC78 in a unique congenital myopathy with prominent internal nuclei and atypical coresKaren Majczenko
Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience Institute, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2200, USA
Am J Hum Genet 91:365-71. 2012..Using a combination of linkage analysis, next-generation sequencing, and modeling in the zebrafish, we have identified a CCDC78 mutation associated with a unique myopathy with prominent internal nuclei and atypical cores...
- Familiality and diagnostic patterns of subphenotypes in the National Institutes of Mental Health bipolar sampleErika H Saunders
University of Michigan Depression Center, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 147:18-26. 2008..We have found evidence of familiality for subphenotypes of BP. In multicenter samples, familiality may be overestimated if variability in diagnosis of subphenotypes between site/wave of ascertainment is not considered...
- Increased activity of Diaphanous homolog 3 (DIAPH3)/diaphanous causes hearing defects in humans with auditory neuropathy and in DrosophilaCynthia J Schoen
Neuroscience Graduate Program, Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience Institute, Division of Pediatric Otolaryngology, Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:13396-401. 2010..Genetic testing for DIAPH3 may be useful for individuals with recessive as well as dominant inheritance of nonsyndromic auditory neuropathy...
- Mapping of genetic modifiers affecting the eye phenotype of ocular retardation (Chx10or-J) miceGilbert Wong
Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience Institute, University of Michigan, 205 Zina Pitcher Place, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Mamm Genome 17:518-25. 2006..Our scan revealed significant loci on Chromosomes 6 and 14 where the CASA/Rk alleles are maintained selectively. Markers were developed near candidate genes, but no candidate gene could be identified unequivocally...
- SNPs on chips: the hidden genetic code in expression arraysElzbieta Sliwerska
Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience Institute, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 2220, USA
Biol Psychiatry 61:13-6. 2007..Many Affymetrix chips contain thousands of SNPs that are both common and in the central probe region affecting hybridization, and thus have the potential to confound expression analysis...
- Mouse models for psychiatric disordersEunju Seong
Mental Health Research Institute, Neuroscience Program, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Trends Genet 18:643-50. 2002..Once a gene or pathway has been identified, mice are also used to study the interplay of different genes in that system...
- Genetical genomics: combining genetics with gene expression analysisJun Li
Stanford Human Genome Center, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA, USA
Hum Mol Genet 14:R163-9. 2005....
- [Influence of impulsivity, suicidality and serotonin genes on treatment outcomes in alcohol dependence]Marcin Wojnar
Katedra i Klinika Psychiatryczna AM w Warszawie
Psychiatr Pol 40:985-94. 2006..The aim of the study was to identify risk factors of relapse by investigating relationships among suicidality, impulsivity, genetic markers of serotonin activity, and relapse in alcohol-dependent patients...
- Family-based SNP association study on 8q24 in bipolar disorderPeter P Zandi
Department of Mental Health, Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 147:612-8. 2008..These findings with ADCY8 and ST3GAL1 warrant further investigation in order to confirm the observed associations and their functional significance for BP susceptibility...
- Future of genetics of mood disorders researchKathleen R Merikangas
National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Biol Psychiatry 52:457-77. 2002..To prepare for shifts to more complex genetic models, the committee recommended that the NIMH develop new interdisciplinary training strategies to prepare for the next generation of genetics research...
- SNPs in Neurotransmitter Systems & Personality TraitsMargit Burmeister; Fiscal Year: 2006..It is anticipated that this R21 will lead to a more thorough, genome-wide genetic study of Neuroticism in this valuable sample. ..
- AP3 IN NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERSMargit Burmeister; Fiscal Year: 2002..g. autism, OCD, ADHD and epilepsy). Such polymorphisms will be made available for the scientific community to test as a candidate gene for other neurological or psychiatric disorders if justified by the results of the behavior tests. ..
- AP3 IN NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERSMargit Burmeister; Fiscal Year: 1999....
- Molecular Characterization of Cayman Ataxia, ATCAYMargit Burmeister; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our studies may reveal a novel pathway to the etiology of ataxia. ..