Affiliation: University of Pittsburgh
- Leptin reduces ovariectomy-induced bone loss in ratsB Burguera
Division of Endocrinology, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
Endocrinology 142:3546-53. 2001..This study is the first evidence that leptin therapy has a significant effect in preventing ovariectomy-induced bone loss, and this effect may at least in part be mediated by the osteoprotegerin/RANK ligand pathway...
- Leptin access into the brain: a saturated transport mechanism in obesityB Burguera
Division of Endocrinology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15260, USA
Physiol Behav 74:717-20. 2001..This information is crucial in order to better understand the role that leptin may play in the pathophysiology of diseases, such as obesity, delayed puberty, or growth defects...
- Limited brain access for leptin in obesityM E Couce
Division of Neuropathology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, PA 15260, USA
Pituitary 4:101-10. 2001..A better understanding of how leptin reaches the brain and how it modulates the release of hypothalamic neuropeptides will be important in understanding the role that leptin plays in the pathophysiology of obesity...
- Role of serum leptin, insulin, and estrogen levels as potential mediators of the relationship between fat mass and bone mineral density in men versus womenT Thomas
Endocrine Research Unit, Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Nutrition, Department of Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Bone 29:114-20. 2001..In women, leptin may also mediate at least part of the protective effect of fat mass on the skeleton...
- Potential role of hypothalamic ghrelin in the pathogenesis of human obesityM E Couce
Division of Neuropathology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, USA
J Endocrinol Invest 29:599-605. 2006..This data questions the significance of the role of peripheral ghrelin in the regulation of appetite in humans and suggests an important role for central ghrelin in the pathogenesis of obesity in humans...