John M Brooks
Affiliation: University of Iowa
- Squeezing the balloon: propensity scores and unmeasured covariate balanceJohn M Brooks
College of Pharmacy and College of Public Health, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Health Serv Res 48:1487-507. 2013..To assess the covariate balancing properties of propensity score-based algorithms in which covariates affecting treatment choice are both measured and unmeasured...
- What is the effect of area size when using local area practice style as an instrument?John M Brooks
University of Iowa, College of Pharmacy and College of Public Health, S 515 Pharmacy Bldg, 115 S Grand Ave, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
J Clin Epidemiol 66:S69-83. 2013..Discuss the tradeoffs inherent in choosing a local area size when using a measure of local area practice style as an instrument in instrumental variable estimation when assessing treatment effectiveness...
- Transfusion burden in non-dialysis chronic kidney disease patients with persistent anemia treated in routine clinical practice: a retrospective observational studyKathleen M Fox
Strategic Healthcare Solutions, LLC, Monkton, MD 21111, USA
BMC Nephrol 13:5. 2012..This study describes the proportion of patients transfused, units of blood transfused and trigger-hemoglobin (Hb) levels for transfusions in severe anemic, ND-CKD patients in routine practice...
- Interpreting treatment-effect estimates with heterogeneity and choice: simulation model resultsJohn M Brooks
College of Pharmacy, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Clin Ther 31:902-19. 2009..Risk-adjustment approaches yield estimates of the average treatment effect on the treated (ATT), whereas instrumental variable approaches yield estimates of a local average treatment effect (LATE)...
- Effect of evidence-based acute pain management practices on inpatient costsJohn M Brooks
Program in Pharmaceutical Socioeconomics, College of Pharmacy, University of Iowa, S 515 PB, 115 S Grand Avenue, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Health Serv Res 44:245-63. 2009....
- Factors affecting demand among older adults for medication therapy management servicesJohn M Brooks
Department of Pharmaceutical Socioeconomics, College of Pharmacy, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Res Social Adm Pharm 4:309-19. 2008....
- Retail pharmacy market structure and performanceJohn M Brooks
University of Iowa College of Pharmacy, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Inquiry 45:75-88. 2008....
- Heterogeneity and the interpretation of treatment effect estimates from risk adjustment and instrumental variable methodsJohn M Brooks
Program in Pharmaceutical Socioeconomics, College of Pharmacy, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Med Care 45:S123-30. 2007..We demonstrate these contrasts by examining the effect of breast conserving surgery plus irradiation (BCSI) relative to mastectomy on early stage breast cancer (ESBC) survival...
- Third party bargaining and contract terms: a link over time?John M Brooks
College of Pharmacy, University of Iowa, Iowa City 52242, USA
J Am Pharm Assoc (Wash) 42:420-7. 2002..To evaluate whether prior pharmacy bargaining process strategies and pharmacy dependence on third parties affect the bargaining power of pharmacies in price negotiations with third parties...
- Effect of local competition on the willingness of community pharmacies to supply medication therapy management servicesJohn M Brooks
University of Iowa College of Pharmacy, USA
J Health Hum Serv Adm 30:4-27. 2007..As a result, patient access to MTMS services depends on both (1) patient access to pharmacies willing to provide MTMS and (2) the level of local community pharmacy competition...
- Effect of clinical characteristics on neutropenia-related inpatient costs among newly diagnosed non-Hodgkin's lymphoma cases during first-course chemotherapyElizabeth A Chrischilles
Health Effectiveness Research Center, College of Public Health, University of Iowa, Iowa City, 52242, USA
Pharmacotherapy 25:668-75. 2005..To estimate the costs of hospitalization for neutropenia among chemotherapy-treated patients with newly diagnosed non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and to assess baseline patient factors associated with these costs...
- Factors associated with independent pharmacy owners' satisfaction with Medicare Part D contractsSu Zhang
Pharmacy Practice and Science, College of Pharmacy, University of Iowa, S518 PHAR, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Res Social Adm Pharm 6:121-9. 2010..Identifying factors affecting independent pharmacy owners' satisfaction with Medicare Part D contracts could inform policy makers in managing Medicare Part D...
- Iowa medicare beneficiaries' satisfaction and experiences with a prescription drug discount card and preferred drug listJulie M Ganther-Urmie
University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
J Am Pharm Assoc (2003) 46:715-22. 2006..To evaluate the expectations, experiences, and satisfaction with the Iowa Priority Prescription Savings (IPPS) program...
- Population-based assessment of hospitalizations for neutropenia from chemotherapy in older adults with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (United States)Shari Chen-Hardee
Department of Epidemiology, College of Public Health, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, USA
Cancer Causes Control 17:647-54. 2006....
- Translating research into practice intervention improves management of acute pain in older hip fracture patientsMarita G Titler
Research, Quality and Outcomes Management, Department of Nursing Services and Patient Care, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, 200 Hawkins Drive, Room C529 GH, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Health Serv Res 44:264-87. 2009....
- Incremental costs associated with physician and pharmacist collaboration to improve blood pressure controlPuttarin Kulchaitanaroaj
Department of Pharmacy Practice and Science, College of Pharmacy, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Pharmacotherapy 32:772-80. 2012..To compare costs associated with a physician-pharmacist collaborative intervention with costs of usual care...
- Population-based medication reviews: a descriptive analysis of the medication issues identified in a medicare not-for-profit prescription discount programKaren B Farris
College of Pharmacy, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, USA
Ann Pharmacother 38:1823-9. 2004..Medication reviews may be an important strategy to improve medication use, especially for individuals receiving many drugs...
- Summative index: Acute pain management in older adultsMarita G Titler
Research, Quality and Outcomes Management, Department of Nursing Services and Patient Care, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, IA 52242 1009, USA
Appl Nurs Res 22:264-73. 2009..Techniques used included factor analysis, discriminate validity, and split-half reliability. The resulting SI is composed of 18 indicators each scored as 0 (not present) or 1 (present), with a total SI score of 0 to 18...
- Was breast conserving surgery underutilized for early stage breast cancer? Instrumental variables evidence for stage II patients from IowaJohn M Brooks
Health Effectiveness Research Center, College of Pharmacy and the College of Public Health, University of Iowa, Iowa City 52242, USA
Health Serv Res 38:1385-402. 2003..DATA SOURCES/DATA SETTING: Secondary linked Iowa SEER Cancer Registry--Iowa Hospital Association discharge abstract data for women in Iowa with stage II breast cancer from 1989-1994...
- Effect of dialysis center profit-status on patient survival: a comparison of risk-adjustment and instrumental variable approachesJohn M Brooks
College of Pharmacy, University of Iowa, Program in Pharmaceutical Socioeconomics, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Health Serv Res 41:2267-89. 2006..To compare the estimated effects of dialysis center profit status on patient survival using alternative estimation strategies with retrospective data...
- Estimating incremental costs with skew: a cautionary noteLinnea A Polgreen
College of Pharmacy, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52246, USA
Appl Health Econ Health Policy 10:319-29. 2012..However, frequently these non-linear approaches produce non-linear incremental effects: the incremental effects differ at different levels of the covariates, and this can cause dramatic effects on predicted cost...
- Retail pharmacy market structure and insurer-independent pharmacy bargaining in the Medicare Part D eraYang Xie
College of Pharmacy, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, USA
Adv Health Econ Health Serv Res 22:295-316. 2010..To examine whether local area pharmacy market structure influences contract terms between prescription drug plans (PDPs) and pharmacies under Part D...
- A new method to isolate local-area practice styles in prescription use as the basis for instrumental variables in comparative effectiveness researchGang Fang
Department of Pharmacy Practice and Science, College of Pharmacy, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Med Care 48:710-7. 2010..The portion of geographic variation in prescription drug use representing "practice style" may provide natural experiments as instrumental variables to address this knowledge gap...
- The Iowa Continuity of Care study: Background and methodsBarry L Carter
Division of Clinical and Administrative Pharmacy, College of Pharmacy, University of Iowa UI, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 65:1631-42. 2008..The background and methods of an ongoing study to determine the effects of hospital pharmacists' enhanced communication with patients and their community providers are described...
- Effects of health savings account-eligible plans on utilization and expendituresMary E Charlton
Rural Health Resource Center, Iowa City, IA 52246, USA
Am J Manag Care 17:79-86. 2011....
- The effect of physician characteristics and their practice environment on surgical referral patterns for early-stage breast cancer in IowaJessica A Davila
Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
Am J Med Qual 19:266-73. 2004..Promoting interaction among physicians, particularly among those with different specialties, may increase the diffusion of new behaviors into clinical practice...
- Estimating the effect of treatment rate changes when treatment benefits are heterogeneous: antibiotics and otitis mediaTae Ryong Park
Health Research Consultant, Health Dialog Analytic Solutions, Portland, ME, USA
Value Health 11:304-14. 2008..Contrast methods to assess the health effects of a treatment rate change when treatment benefits are heterogeneous across patients. Antibiotic prescribing for children with otitis media (OM) in Iowa Medicaid is the empirical example...
- Metastatic non-small cell lung cancer: costs associated with disease progressionKathleen M Fox
Strategic Healthcare Solutions, LLC, PO Box 543, Monkton, MD 21111, USA
Am J Manag Care 14:565-71. 2008..To compare direct costs of care among patients having advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) with versus without disease progression following first-line chemotherapy...
- Comparative Effectiveness of Treatment Combinations Post MI in the ElderlyJohn M Brooks; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results of this study will help clinicians, guideline-makers, and policy-makers understand the benefits, risks, and costs associated with post-MI secondary prevention treatment combinations. ..