Affiliation: University of California
- Asbestos induces apoptosis of human and rabbit pleural mesothelial cells via reactive oxygen speciesV C Broaddus
Department of Medicine and Lung Biology Center, San Francisco General Hospital, California 94143, USA
J Clin Invest 98:2050-9. 1996..We conclude that asbestos induces apoptosis in mesothelial cells via reactive oxygen species. Escape from this pathway could allow the abnormal survival of mesothelial cells with asbestos-induced mutations...
- Crocidolite asbestos induces apoptosis of pleural mesothelial cells: role of reactive oxygen species and poly(ADP-ribosyl) polymeraseV C Broaddus
Lung Biology Center, University of California, San Francisco General Hospital 94143 0854, USA
Environ Health Perspect 105:1147-52. 1997..We conclude that asbestos induces apoptosis in mesothelial cells via reactive oxygen species. We speculate that escape from this pathway could allow the abnormal survival of mesothelial cells with asbestos-induced mutations...
- Bid mediates apoptotic synergy between tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) and DNA damageV Courtney Broaddus
Lung Biology Center, San Francisco General Hospital, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143 0854, USA
J Biol Chem 280:12486-93. 2005..Such studies indicate how the adroit combination of differing proapoptotic and sublethal signals can provide an effective strategy for treating refractory tumors...
- c-Jun N-terminal kinase contributes to apoptotic synergy induced by tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand plus DNA damage in chemoresistant, p53 inactive mesothelioma cellsClaire Vivo
Lung Biology Center, San Francisco General Hospital, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143 0854, USA
J Biol Chem 278:25461-7. 2003..We conclude that JNK contributes to the synergistic effect of TRAIL combined with DNA damage by mediating signals independent of p53 leading to apoptosis...
- Mesothelial cell proliferation and apoptosisLorriana E Leard
Lung Biology Center, San Francisco General Hospital, University of California San Francisco, California, USA
Respirology 9:292-9. 2004..The latest advancements in identifying proteins that play key roles in the resistance to apoptosis are highlighted...
- Malignant mesothelioma cells are rapidly sensitized to TRAIL-induced apoptosis by low-dose anisomycin via BimKeith S Abayasiriwardana
Lung Biology Center, Box 0854, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94110 0854, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 6:2766-76. 2007..Such subtoxic approaches to sensitization may enhance the value of TRAIL in cancer therapy...
- Sensitization of mesothelioma cells to tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand-induced apoptosis by heat stress via the inhibition of the 3-phosphoinositide-dependent kinase 1/Akt pathwayMelissa H Pespeni
Laboratory of Surgical Research, Cardiovascular Research Institute, University of California San Francisco, California 94110, USA
Cancer Res 67:2865-71. 2007..In summary, these results support the novel concept that heat stress inhibits the Akt pathway by dissociating PDK-1 from its chaperone Hsp90, leading to potentiation of TRAIL-induced apoptosis in resistant malignant cells...
- mTOR mediates survival signals in malignant mesothelioma grown as tumor fragment spheroidsShannon M Wilson
Lung Biology Center, UCSF, San Francisco, CA 94143 0854, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 39:576-83. 2008..We propose that mTOR mediates survival signals in many mesothelioma tumors. Inhibition of mTOR may provide a nontoxic adjunct to therapy directed against malignant mesothelioma, especially in those with high baseline expression of p-S6K...
- Mammalian target of rapamycin contributes to the acquired apoptotic resistance of human mesothelioma multicellular spheroidsDario Barbone
Lung Biology Center, San Francisco General Hospital, University of California, San Francisco, California 94110, USA
J Biol Chem 283:13021-30. 2008..The three-dimensional model may reflect a more clinically relevant in vitro setting in which mTOR exhibits anti-apoptotic properties...
- A novel in vitro model of human mesothelioma for studying tumor biology and apoptotic resistanceKi-Up Kim
Lung Biology Center, Box 0854 University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143-0854, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 33:541-8. 2005..We conclude that human mesothelioma can be maintained in vitro in a biologically relevant model that exhibits apoptotic resistance, thereby permitting study of its tumor biology and of novel approaches to therapy...
- Targeted drug delivery to mesothelioma cells using functionally selected internalizing human single-chain antibodiesFeng An
Department of Anesthesia, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 7:569-78. 2008....
- H(2)O(2) inhibits alveolar epithelial wound repair in vitro by induction of apoptosisThomas Geiser
Cardiovascular Research Institute, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143-0854, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 287:L448-53. 2004..Inhibition of apoptosis can maintain wound repair and cell viability in the face of ROS. Inhibiting apoptosis may be a promising new approach to improve repair of the alveolar epithelium in patients with acute lung injury...
- The integrin alpha(v)beta8 mediates epithelial homeostasis through MT1-MMP-dependent activation of TGF-beta1Dezhi Mu
Department of Pathology, University of California at San Francisco Mt Zion Cancer Center, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
J Cell Biol 157:493-507. 2002..These data elucidate a novel mechanism of cellular homeostasis achieved through the coordination of the activities of members of three major gene families involved in cell-matrix interactions...
- Identification of MCAM/CD146 as the target antigen of a human monoclonal antibody that recognizes both epithelioid and sarcomatoid types of mesotheliomaScott Bidlingmaier
Department of Anesthesia, San Francisco General Hospita, San Francisco, California, USA
Cancer Res 69:1570-7. 2009....
- Anti-mesothelin immunotoxin SS1P in combination with gemcitabine results in increased activity against mesothelin-expressing tumor xenograftsRaffit Hassan
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, and the Clinical Center, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Clin Cancer Res 13:7166-71. 2007..To determine the antitumor activity of the anti-mesothelin immunotoxin SS1P in combination with gemcitabine against mesothelin-expressing tumor xenografts...
- PROTECTIVE ROLE OF APOPTOSIS IN ASBESTOS PLEURAL INJURYV Broaddus; Fiscal Year: 2001..These studies should provide important information about the mechanisms by which asbestos induces apoptosis in mesothelial cells and the role of asbestos-induced apoptosis in asbestos-induced pathology. ..
- Amplification of TRIAL-Indcued Apoptosis in MesotheliomaV Broaddus; Fiscal Year: 2006..the mechanisms of amplification of TRAIL-induced apoptosis can provide insight into the means by which malignant cells evade apoptosis and ways to bypass those sites of resistance and thereby improve treatment strategies ..