Affiliation: University of Louisiana at Monroe
- Shrestha P, Briski K. Hindbrain lactate regulates preoptic gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) neuron GnRH-I protein but not AMPK responses to hypoglycemia in the steroid-primed ovariectomized female rat. Neuroscience. 2015;298:467-74 pubmed publisher..Lack of effect of lactate on hypoglycemic patterns of GnRH AMPK activity suggests that this sensor is uninvolved in metabolic-inhibition of positive-feedback-stimulated hypophysiotropic signaling to pituitary gonadotropes. ..
- Tamrakar P, Briski K. Estradiol regulation of hypothalamic astrocyte adenosine 5'-monophosphate-activated protein kinase activity: role of hindbrain catecholamine signaling. Brain Res Bull. 2015;110:47-53 pubmed publisher..Further research is needed to determine the role of astrocyte AMPK in reactivity of these glia to metabolic imbalance and contribution to restoration of neuro-metabolic stability. ..
- Alenazi F, Ibrahim B, Al Hamami H, Shakiya M, Briski K. Role of estradiol in intrinsic hindbrain AMPK regulation of hypothalamic AMPK, metabolic neuropeptide, and norepinephrine activity and food intake in the female rat. Neuroscience. 2016;314:35-46 pubmed publisher..Divergent changes in NE content of hypothalamic loci in O/Cc uniquely demonstrate sensor-induced bimodal catecholamine signaling to those sites. ..
- Briski K, Shrestha P. Hindbrain estrogen receptor-beta antagonism normalizes reproductive and counter-regulatory hormone secretion in hypoglycemic steroid-primed ovariectomized female rats. Neuroscience. 2016;331:62-71 pubmed publisher..Data also show that caudal hindbrain ER? exerts site-specific control of NE activity in forebrain projection sites during hypoglycemia, including the ARH where prepro-kisspeptin may be a target of that signaling. ..
- Tamrakar P, Briski K. Impact of recurrent hypoglycemic stress on hindbrain A2 nerve cell energy metabolism and catecholamine biosynthesis: modulation by estradiol. Acta Neurobiol Exp (Wars). 2017;77:31-44 pubmed..Augmentation of negative energy balance during this recurring metabolic stress in the absence of E is a likely impetus for augmented vs. decreased A2 signaling of energy imbalance by D?H in O vs. E rats during RIIH. ..
- Alhamami H, Alshamrani A, Briski K. Inhibition of glycogen phosphorylase stimulates ventromedial hypothalamic nucleus AMP-activated protein kinase: Activity and neuronal nitric oxide synthase protein expression in male rats. Physiol Rep. 2017;5: pubmed publisher..DAB/I upregulation of GAD alongside prevention of hypercorticosteronemia suggests that indicators of metabolic sufficiency may occur secondary to local compensatory adaptations to severe restriction of glucose-derived energy. ..
- Mandal S, Shrestha P, Alenazi F, Shakya M, Alhamami H, Briski K. Role of hindbrain adenosine 5'-monophosphate-activated protein kinase (AMPK) in hypothalamic AMPK and metabolic neuropeptide adaptation to recurring insulin-induced hypoglycemia in the male rat. Neuropeptides. 2017;66:25-35 pubmed publisher
- Briski K, Parihar M. Effects of orchidectomy on adaptation of arcuate neuropeptide Y, proopiomelanocortin, and cocaine- and amphetamine-related transcript gene profiles to recurring insulin-induced hypoglycemia in the male rat. Neuropeptides. 2008;42:585-91 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results demonstrate that in the male rat, testes-dependent mechanisms underlie patterns of acclimated or unvarying reactivity to RIIH of the specific ARH metabolic neuropeptide genes evaluated here. ..
- Briski K, Cherian A, Genabai N, Vavaiya K. In situ coexpression of glucose and monocarboxylate transporter mRNAs in metabolic-sensitive caudal dorsal vagal complex catecholaminergic neurons: transcriptional reactivity to insulin-induced hypoglycemia and caudal hindbrain glucose or lactate rep. Neuroscience. 2009;164:1152-60 pubmed publisher