L H Brauer
Affiliation: University of Minnesota
- Haloperidol reduces smoking of both nicotine-containing and denicotinized cigarettesL H Brauer
Department of Psychiatry, University of Minnesota, Mayo Mail Code 392, 420 Delaware Street S E, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 159:31-7. 2001..Studies with laboratory animals and humans suggest that dopamine may play a role in maintaining cigarette smoking behavior via its interactions with nicotine...
- Naltrexone blockade of nicotine effects in cigarette smokersL H Brauer
Department of Psychiatry, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 143:339-46. 1999..The role of endogenous opiate systems in cigarette smoking remains unclear. In laboratory animals, opiate antagonists block many of the effects of nicotine, but in humans they do not consistently alter smoking behavior...
- High dose pimozide does not block amphetamine-induced euphoria in normal volunteersL H Brauer
Department of Psychiatry, University of Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 56:265-72. 1997..Possible reasons for lack of robust dopamine antagonism of amphetamine-induced euphoria in humans are discussed...
- Individual differences in smoking reward from de-nicotinized cigarettesL H Brauer
Department of Psychiatry, Duke University Medical Center, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 3:101-9. 2001..The implications of these findings for smoking cessation treatment and for future research are discussed...
- Effect of bupropion on physiological measures of stress in smokers during nicotine withdrawalMichael Kotlyar
Department of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology, University of Minnesota College of Pharmacy, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 83:370-9. 2006..This study suggests that bupropion may be maintaining physiological measures of stress during the nicotine withdrawal period...
- Inhibition of CYP2D6 activity by bupropionMichael Kotlyar
Department of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology, College of Pharmacy, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Campus, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 25:226-9. 2005..Bupropion is therefore a potent inhibitor of CYP2D6 activity, and care should be exercised when initiating or discontinuing bupropion use in patients taking drugs metabolized by CYP2D6...
- Lack of effect of 5HT3 antagonist in mediating subjective and behavioral responses to cotinineDorothy K Hatsukami
Tobacco Use Research Center, University of Minnesota, 2701 University Avenue, 201, Minneapolis, MN 55414, USA
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 75:1-7. 2003..The data do not strongly support the hypothesis that 5HT(3) agonism is the mechanism by which cotinine offsets the effects of nicotine...
- Naltrexone effect on physiological and subjective response to a cold pressor taskMichael Kotlyar
Department of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology, College of Pharmacy, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, 7 170 Weaver Densford Hall, 308 Harvard St SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455, United States
Biol Psychol 77:233-6. 2008..No significant differences were found for other measures assessed. Further research is necessary to determine the subpopulations in which these effects are of greatest magnitude and the long term safety implications of these effects...
- Psychopharmacological interactions between nicotine and ethanolJed E Rose
VA Medical Center and Department of Psychiatry, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 6:133-44. 2004..These results highlight the potent interaction between ethanol and nicotinic systems, and suggest that ethanol can potentiate the rewarding effects of nicotine as well as offset some of the effects of a nicotinic antagonist...
- Potentiation of nicotine reward by alcoholJed E Rose
Nicotine Research Program, Duke University and VA Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27705, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 26:1930-1. 2002