Sonya S Brady
Affiliation: University of California
- Adolescents' reported consequences of having oral sex versus vaginal sexSonya S Brady
Department of Psychiatry, Health Psychology Program, University of California, San Francisco, 3333 California St, Box 0848, San Francisco, CA 94118, USA
Pediatrics 119:229-36. 2007..The present study examined whether adolescents' initial consequences of sexual activity differ according to type of sexual activity and gender...
- Young adults' media use and attitudes toward interpersonal and institutional forms of aggressionSonya S Brady
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Aggress Behav 33:519-25. 2007....
- Adaptive coping reduces the impact of community violence exposure on violent behavior among African American and Latino male adolescentsSonya S Brady
Department of Psychiatry, Health Psychology Program, University of California, San Francisco, 3333 California St, Ste 465, P O Box 0848, San Francisco, CA 94118 0848, USA
J Abnorm Child Psychol 36:105-15. 2008..Interventions targeting the enhancement of coping skills may be an effective method of reducing the impact of CVE on adolescent violent behavior...
- Effects of media violence on health-related outcomes among young menSonya S Brady
University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 160:341-7. 2006....
- Lifetime community violence exposure and health risk behavior among young adults in collegeSonya S Brady
Department of Psychology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
J Adolesc Health 39:610-3. 2006..Findings were independent of gender, ethnic minority status, personality characteristics, aggression, family socioeconomic status, family support, and neighborhood collective efficacy...
- Violence involvement, substance use, and sexual activity among Mexican-American and European-American adolescentsSonya S Brady
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
J Adolesc Health 43:285-95. 2008..This study examined longitudinal associations between violence involvement, substance use, and sexual activity...
- Mechanisms linking violence exposure to health risk behavior in adolescence: motivation to cope and sensation seekingSonya S Brady
Health Psychology Program, University of California, San Francisco, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 45:673-80. 2006..This study examined two potential mechanisms linking violence exposure and health risk behavior among adolescents in psychiatric care: sensation seeking and coping with stress through escape behavior...
- Chronic stress influences ambulatory blood pressure in adolescentsSonya S Brady
University of Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Ann Behav Med 31:80-8. 2006..High ambulatory blood pressure (ABP) predicts cardiovascular events, even after controlling for clinic BP and other established risk factors...
- Cardiovascular reactivity to stress predicts future blood pressure in adolescenceKaren A Matthews
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Psychosom Med 65:410-5. 2003..This study evaluated the prospective relationship between cardiovascular reactivity to psychological stress and increases in resting blood pressure across a 3-year period among a multiethnic pediatric sample (N = 149)...
- Adolescents report both positive and negative consequences of experimentation with cigarette useSonya S Brady
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94118, USA
Prev Med 46:585-90. 2008..To examine the physiological and social consequences that 9th and 10th grade adolescents experience as a result of experimenting with cigarette use, and whether consequences vary by level of experimentation and gender...
- The influence of socioeconomic status and ethnicity on adolescents' exposure to stressful life eventsSonya S Brady
University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
J Pediatr Psychol 27:575-83. 2002..To test the relations between resource-based and prestige-based measures of socioeconomic status (SES), ethnicity, and life events that varied in valence, dependency on adolescent behavior, and duration...
- Social and emotional consequences of refraining from sexual activity among sexually experienced and inexperienced youths in CaliforniaSonya S Brady
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Am J Public Health 98:162-8. 2008..We examined the social and emotional consequences among adolescents of refraining from sexual activity (oral or vaginal sex) and whether these consequences differed over time and by gender and sexual experience...
- Individual versus neighborhood socioeconomic status and race as predictors of adolescent ambulatory blood pressure and heart rateJennifer J McGrath
Concordia University Montreal, QC, Canada
Soc Sci Med 63:1442-53. 2006..These results have important public health implications as they suggest individual and neighborhood SES and race are linked to cardiovascular risk disparities as early as adolescence...
- Lifetime family violence exposure is associated with current symptoms of eating disorders among both young men and womenSonya S Brady
University of Minnesota School of Public Health, Division of Epidemiology and Community Health, Minneapolis, MN 55454 1015, USA
J Trauma Stress 21:347-51. 2008..Findings suggest that depression and anxiety may play a role in the development and maintenance of eating disorder symptoms subsequent to repeated incidents of family violence exposure...